Coopers Plastic Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt1

Reaction score
Hi, I have the standard coopers kit and after a few brews, I have some brown sediment inside the tap. Is there any way to clean it? Does the coopers plastic tap come apart? Thanks.

They sure do.

You need to turn the tap so it is 1/2 way open...so the handle is horizontal. Then place the tap up against your kitchen bench so the spout in resting on the edge of the bench and the threaded end in up in the air. Get a wooden spoon and put the handle in the back of the tap and give it a whack...the tap should come apart then. Might take a bit of force but it works.

Pok

just soak in napisan overnight after each brew I never had a problem doing that no need to touch the fermenter with a cloth ether it all comes out with a good shake. But I do take the tap out and put the bung in and put the tap (with the tap open), bottling tube and airlock in the fermenter with the napisan

Thanks... Still having trouble seperating it... any other tips for getting the two sections apart?

Thanks... Still having trouble seperating it... any other tips for getting the two sections apart?

Did you give it a good whack??? You might have to be pretty forceful.

As said make sure its 1/2 open....so the handle is horizontal instead of vertical, place tap on edge of bench and WHACK!!!

Give it a whirl, its worth it...you can always buy a replacement for about $2 from big w, kmart, bunnings, woolies etc.

Pok

any other tips for getting the two sections apart?
Yeah, don't bother.

Buy a snap tap and be done with it.
They are designed to come apart so cleaning is easy.

Been a while since I bought one but they are probably about $5 and will last you a long time.

snap.jpg
TAPSNAPTAP_l.jpg

If you do replace with the above tap just make sure you done close a fridge/cupboard door etc on the tap otherwise you could make a nice mess!!

A piece of dowel will work better than a spoon. Doesn't need to be open but it can help. I bang mine on the ground on concrete. You need to have a finger covering the exit part of the tap as you bang. Firm grip.

Hard to explain but you will need to hit it with conviction.

Snap taps are good too (except when the little taggy bit decides to come off every time you open it too far). Best thing about them is that you don't have to worry if the thread on the fermenter is a little worn as you don't turn to open. I only have two left but i always make sure my bottling fermenter has a snap tap affixed.

Thanks for all your help. Will have another go, but if it's going to be a ******* to get apart every time then I think I will go for one of those others - can anyone recommend a cheap place in Melbourne? And do they have the same sized spout for the bottle filler to fit into?

Actually, while we are on the subject, where can I get a cheap hydrometer? Busted mine while pissed.... :-(

I would say big W for the cheap hydro and the twist taps. The snap taps would likely be a bunnings thing.
The twist taps are a ******* to take apart you just need conoviction when you give it a whack. Don't worry about breaking the thing as
they are easily replaceable.

Manticle why do you use a snap on your bottling fermenter? Dont you leave the tap open with a bottling racking cane? Why would that make a difference?

I didn't think those snap tap threads fitted the Coopers fermenter, the thread on my snap taps looks a bit bigger than the Coopers ones, mmm, will have to check when I empty the fermenters later today.

Hi Guys,

I am liking the look of these snap taps. Any recommendations on where to buy? LHBS? Bunnings? boating shop?? Dunno....

Yeah, don't bother.

Buy a snap tap and be done with it.
They are designed to come apart so cleaning is easy.

Been a while since I bought one but they are probably about $5 and will last you a long time.

Hi Guys,

I always break open and clean my tap(s) after every brew. However, since cleaning them, they are a ******* to turn. It can be turned, but it needs a bucket load more force than what it did when it was new.

I *THINK* there must have been some sort of food grade grease in there keeping the tap all happy and free.

Anyone can verify this and then recommend a grease or something to keep it turning freely? Olive Oil? :)

A piece of dowel will work better than a spoon. Doesn't need to be open but it can help. I bang mine on the ground on concrete. You need to have a finger covering the exit part of the tap as you bang. Firm grip.

I wouldn't bother with HB shops, bit too pricey. Go the bunnings route

HI Guys,

Any thoughts on my sticky tap situation below:

Hi Guys,

I always break open and clean my tap(s) after every brew. However, since cleaning them, they are a ******* to turn. It can be turned, but it needs a bucket load more force than what it did when it was new.

I *THINK* there must have been some sort of food grade grease in there keeping the tap all happy and free.

Anyone can verify this and then recommend a grease or something to keep it turning freely? Olive Oil? :)

I know that others have said you can pull the taps apart with no problems - which is true - however, what I found is that after re-assembling the taps they are more prone to leak, and unfortunately you may not notice that leakage until after it's been fermenting in the fridge for a while. :(

Hi Guys,

Theres a locking tab that runs in a groove in the internal spigot that holds it all together. What happens once you bust the tap apart is this gets a burr on the edge & causes the extra friction when you put it back together.

You notice after you bust it apart the 1st time, you can pop it apart by hand from then on?

I pull my taps apart every cleanup too. I used to use a can of food grade silicone spray (Helmar brand) in the taps when I put them back together but that stuff went up from ~ $2 a can to ~$10!
Now I use a dab of silicone o-ring grease on the internal spigot then wipe it clean with a bit of paper towel, a spray of iodophor & pop it back together. Haven't replaced a tap in years!

I would say big W for the cheap hydro and the twist taps. The snap taps would likely be a bunnings thing.
The twist taps are a ******* to take apart you just need conoviction when you give it a whack. Don't worry about breaking the thing as
they are easily replaceable.

Manticle why do you use a snap on your bottling fermenter? Dont you leave the tap open with a bottling racking cane? Why would that make a difference?
Always bottled straight from the tap - no cane.

After a while the threads get worn and when you turn the tap either on or off it comes loose. Snap tap avoid that.

Add to that stiff taps as mentioned - some fermenters I need a shifter to hold the tap in place while it turns.

I didn't think those snap tap threads fitted the Coopers fermenter, the thread on my snap taps looks a bit bigger than the Coopers ones, mmm, will have to check when I empty the fermenters later today.
You can get different sized snap taps.

Isn't the thread size on a Coopers fermenter the same as most other fermenters?

Back