Coopers Plastic Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 4 x 25 -30 f ermenters of different sorts from different sources as well as 2 15 L and one willow cube with pre drilled tap hole. Both snap taps and turny-wurny taps fit all of them.

Had 1 other 30 L that I recently threw away -same thing - one size fits all.

INOX is the stuff to use.MX6 is the type.
Dont seem to be able to edit posts with firefox, hence typing above the quote.
Hi Guys,

I always break open and clean my tap(s) after every brew. However, since cleaning them, they are a ******* to turn. It can be turned, but it needs a bucket load more force than what it did when it was new.

I *THINK* there must have been some sort of food grade grease in there keeping the tap all happy and free.

Anyone can verify this and then recommend a grease or something to keep it turning freely? Olive Oil? :)

I havnt pulled my tap apart yet. As I say a overnight soak in napisan cleans it up been 6 brews out of one tap and never a infection. Although it started leaking so replaced it and bought 4 taps at bunnings they are like a few dollars so why bash them apart??? If you get 5 brews it cost you like less then 50cents a brew.

Is there any reason I should take it apart??? As I say haven't had a problem as of yet but I wont say what I am doing is right.

I also do a regular soak in diluted bleach for 24 hours and never had any problems. Even after doing a darker ale and I can see a brown spot inside, the soak seems to get get rid of it. The only thing is that I open the tap up halfway as that seems to work the best at getting liquid all through the working parts.

For the $2 at Bunnings I just replace the taps now and again and don't have problems.

I pull my taps apart after every use. I thought it was slightly unnecessary until I pulled 1 apart to show a mate how to do it. It was full of hop flowers & I didn't use flowers in the brew I'd just bottled. I pull my taps apart every time now.

I use a chopstick on the benchtop with a bottletop under it so I don't mark the bench. It takes a fair bit of force but I've never broken 1. Having said that, I do have a supply of spare taps just in case.

I pull my taps apart after every use. I thought it was slightly unnecessary until I pulled 1 apart to show a mate how to do it. It was full of hop flowers & I didn't use flowers in the brew I'd just bottled. I pull my taps apart every time now.

I use a chopstick on the benchtop with a bottletop under it so I don't mark the bench. It takes a fair bit of force but I've never broken 1. Having said that, I do have a supply of spare taps just in case.

Smear a little food grade lube on the tap before you re-assemble it and it will go back together easier and will turn on/off as smoth as glass.

I havnt pulled my tap apart yet. As I say a overnight soak in napisan cleans it up been 6 brews out of one tap and never a infection. Although it started leaking so replaced it and bought 4 taps at bunnings they are like a few dollars so why bash them apart??? If you get 5 brews it cost you like less then 50cents a brew.

Is there any reason I should take it apart??? As I say haven't had a problem as of yet but I wont say what I am doing is right.

I used to just rely on the napisan to clear out the gunk in the tap. That was until I had a couple of infections which I tied back to the tap. Once I pulled it apart I was amazed at all the crap that was stuck in the grooves. The opening and closing of the tap allowed whatever bugs had been living in the groove to contact the wort. You'll notice the gunk when using the white taps instead of the black ones.

After every brew the taps get pulled apart and cleaned out. Not had a problem since doing that.

I think this is what i need to do....is this is what you do howling dog?

I guess the LHBS is the best place for food grade grease? Our sponsors? I cant picture seeing this at the local woolies :)

rendo

Smear a little food grade lube on the tap before you re-assemble it and it will go back together easier and will turn on/off as smoth as glass.

I guess the LHBS is the best place for food grade grease? Our sponsors? I cant picture seeing this at the local woolies :)

rendo

hi rendo,

i get keg lube (food grade lube) from the lhbs

cheers
matt

Hi Guys,

What do you think about this grease....sounds ok? I have about 3 tubes of it in the shed :) I think I will just get a tube of keg stuff to be safe, but this looks a winner?

hydroseal.jpg

http://www.ryemetal.com/downloads/wholesal...oration0505.pdf (page 14)

Rendo

Well it is food grade and a tap lubricant so go for it. I would go very easy on the quantity though it is not like you would need alot anyway.

rendo

Yes, as long as it's food grade. The one on the right is from sponsor LHBS and the one on the left is from the big green shed.

BTW guys I contacted coopers here:

[email protected] or call 1300 654 455 (Aust only)

And they sent me a brand new tap of a different design, for free! Great customer service.

they even recommended using a little olive oil on the older style ones as a lube to keep the rubber good.

Here is the new tap design. One problem, you cant really attach anything to the end of it (externally) looks like you might be able to put a racking cane up inside though, but I haven't tested that yet.

rNupd91.jpg

Cheers

I always spray mine with a little extra virgin spray.... you don't need much at all and it works a treat.

I must say, the new tap doesn't look as good as the old one.

Latest posts

Back