Cooper's Pale Ales Recipe For A Brit Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locost

Reaction score
I'm trying to construct an AG recipe for CPA for an English brewer who fancies handing something Australian around at summer BBQ's that isn't a can of Fosters.

I'm not looking for a clone, just soemthing to style that mimics what a hypothetical competitor to Coopers might sell if there was more Sparkling Australian Pale Ale on the market.

The grain bill looks like this:

78% Pilsner Malt
0.5% Crystal (around 150EBC)
3.5% Wheat Malt
18% Table Sugar.

I'm looking to complete the recipe with about 25IBU's and looking for an FG below 1.005.

2Unresolved issues remain:

1. Clearly Pride of Ringwood is the hop of choice but its pretty hard to get in the UK, so I need to suggest an alternative. Cluster springs to mind as a relatively authentic choice (it is grown here in OZ), but given Cluster's rather unfortunate reputation I'm reluctant. I was thinking a 50/50 mix of Northern Brewer and Fuggle might be "interesting".

2. A suitable Wyeast choice: This doesn't have to exactly mimic the effect of coopers yeast, I am afterall formaulating a hypothetical competitor's beer, but some fruit would be nice. Wyeast 1028 (Londona Ale: Source Wothington White Shield) seems nicely attenuative, but isn't exactly "fruity". Wyeast 1098 (Whitbread) might make a better choice, as might 1318 (London Ale 3: Source Youngs), or 1335 (British Ale 2), or 1272 (American ale 2: Source Redhook). Hell I'm even considering taking the road less travelled and suggesting 1388 (Belgian Strong Ale: source Duvel).

So questions for the collective:

1. Good substitutes for Pride of Ringwood:

2. A suitable, preferabley highy attenuative and not very flocculent, yeast.

Two things you should do,
1. Get your buddy to buy some Coopers Sparkling Ale in the UK and reculture is own Coopers yeast. I had a look at www.google.co.uk and you can buy the Coopers there.
2. Send him some Pride of Ringwood Pellets.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Hi Locost,
Some good info in this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...4646&hl=coopers pale ale clone

Cluster would be a good hop substitute or any high alpha hop, remember there is only a bittering addition in CPA so a flavour hop might not emulate it too well.

As far as the yeast goes the 1098 would be a good choice.

Cheers
Andrew

i LOVE CPA but I'm not inverting my sugar enough or something so I'm steering clear of sugar and adding some pilsner malt. I'm using pale ale malt as my base.
I suppose I'm taking a leaf out of the Pommy brewers books and using more Goldings & Fuggles. It's not that close to the CPA, but it's tasting damn delicious. Still a bit of tinkering to go with the recipe but it's going to be one brew that's always on tap in my shed. I've searched and found heaps of CPA clones on this site and they're very varied.

Pommy Pale

English Pale Ale-Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Recipe Overview
Pre-Boil Wort Volume: 26.00 l Post-Boil Wort Volume: 23.00 l
Pre-Ferment Batch Volume: 22.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG Expected OG: 1.050 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Expected ABV: 5.0 % Expected ABW: 3.9 %
Expected IBU: 27.8 Expected Color: 19.5 EBC
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 20 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
Australian Pale Ale Malt 1.75 kg 34.0 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Pale Ale Malt 1.75 kg 34.0 % In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich I 0.20 kg 3.9 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Wheat Malt 0.20 kg 3.9 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Crystal Wheat Malt 0.10 kg 1.9 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Torrified Wheat 0.40 kg 7.8 % In Mash/Steeped
German Pilsner Malt 0.75 kg 14.6 % In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
NZ Green Bullet 12.0 10 g Pelletized Hops First Wort Hopped
UK Fuggle 3.8 10 g Pelletized Hops 30 Min From End
UK Golding 5.8 10 g Pelletized Hops 30 Min From End
UK Golding 5.8 10 g Pelletized Hops 5 Min From End
UK Golding 5.8 10 g Pelletized Hops At turn off
UK Fuggle 3.8 10 g Pelletized Hops 5 Min From End
UK Fuggle 3.8 10 g Pelletized Hops At turn off
UK Golding 5.8 5 g Pelletized Hops 15 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Coopers-Ale Yeast

Water Profile
Target Profile: Burton-On-Trent (UK)
Mash pH: 5.3
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 13 Total Magnesium (ppm): 0
Total Sodium (ppm): 55 Total Sulfate (ppm): 0
Total Chloride(ppm): 22 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 143

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Double Step Infusion (65C with infusion to re-adjust at 60min for further 30 min)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Strike/Dough in at 79 degC 5
Rest at 65 degC 60
Raise by infusion to 66 degC 30

Recipe Notes
Baking Soda .2g per litre Calcium Chloride .035 g per L

I'm reluctant to advise he reculture some cooper's yeast, hell I cannot even get that stuff to behave for me and I live in Adelaide, god knows what the yeast's like after a 12,000 mile trip to the UK.

I'd like to keep the sugar because I think a high level of attenuation is an inherant characteristic of these beers (it's one of those features of CPA I want to keep).

About 1.048 was the target OG I'm aiming for.

why not use dexy instead of sugar?
if you're having success with sugar, what are you doing with it to avoid the cider flavour?
i've done the coopers PA yeast every time with success but i get the bottle shop bloke to tell me when it's freshest, so i'd guess that the UK stubbies won't be too good, although I hear of people on this site who reculture yeasts from overseas bottles here.
maybe keep the mash temps down a bit to help attenuation.

locost said:
I'm reluctant to advise he reculture some cooper's yeast, hell I cannot even get that stuff to behave for me and I live in Adelaide, god knows what the yeast's like after a 12,000 mile trip to the UK.

I'd like to keep the sugar because I think a high level of attenuation is an inherant characteristic of these beers (it's one of those features of CPA I want to keep).

About 1.048 was the target OG I'm aiming for.
[post="108428"][/post]​
I bought a six pack of the Sparkling Ale. Made a two litre starter on a stir plate and then I slowly poured off the main contents of each bottle into a glass, leaving about 30 ml. I stirred up the remainder with the yeast and poured it into the starter. Used the entire six bottles. Real easy. Yeast worked like a dream.
Regards,
Lindsay.

I can get coopers to reculture for me, I just get too much banana ester and too little attenuation from it when I do!

I usually don't bother inverting my sugars. I'll add them for about a half an hour boild in my kettle. I usually find that at that stage of the boil, the the contents of the kettle are usually acidic enough to invert the sugars for me.

Dont forget that 'their' table sugar may be 'Beet' sugar not white "cane" sugar too.

And as far as 'inverting' sugar....Golden syrup IS invert sugar anyhoo...buy it at Coles/Woolies....Lyles golden syrup actually states this on the side of the can!!!

Latest posts

Back