Coopers Pale Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I have finally got around to using a Coopers yeast from the bottle and I have a question regarding the starter.

I used the dregs from 5 stubbies of Pale Ale, I made up a wort with 200gr of DME in 2litres of water boiled for 15 mins.
I stabilised the temperature of the wort and the 5 stubby dregs to 18 deg c aerated by shaking it and then pitched all the dregs into the wort.
I then placed the starter in temp control at 18 deg with a bung and an airlock.

48 hours has passed with no real signs of activity. I have given it a bit of a shake a couple of times a day.

Are these yeasts slow to start or have I done something wrong??

Cheers

Afternoon Dicko. Did you see signs of fermentation in your starter before you pitched to primary ?
Sorry, just reread your post. Try some yeast energiser ?

Not that ive re-cultured from bottles but id be upping the temp of the starter and shaking it everytime you walk past....rather than a couple of times a day.

Heya Dicko,

I've occasionally had the same problem in the past. Not sure if it's due to older bottles of Coopers or what, but occasionally the starter takes a while to kick off. Don't worry, it still makes a good beer and the ferment will kick off quickly once the starter is up and running...

KS

Dicko

You may find it better to begin with a starter of about 200-500 mL then step that up to 2 litres.
Nevertheless the one you have will kick off in time. Keep aerating it regularly - the PET bottle technique works well here.

Rob

2-3 days is typical. I always thought it was because I was a miser and only used the dregs from 2 tallies :D

the fresher stubbies take less time to kick off, but you should be OK dicko.

Dicko

You may find it better to begin with a starter of about 200-500 mL then step that up to 2 litres.
Nevertheless the one you have will kick off in time. Keep aerating it regularly - the PET bottle technique works well here.

Rob

Yeh, what Rob said. The yeast are probably building up their numbers for 2L, so in future you'd probably be better starting smaller and stepping up. Still, it'll work, just give it time.

Thanks guys for your help and assurance.

I wondered about wether it may have been affected by the age of the stubbies, I think I have still got the empties so i'll check the "best before" date.

I used 5 stubbies and made a large starter because it is going in 50 litres of wort, and 5 stubbies is what I consumed one night. :D

I'll keep you informed on its progress and next time I will make a smaller starter and step it up.

Cheers and thanks for the tips,

Dicko

Providing the CSA is fresh (I usually get it from Dan Murphys) you can get signs of activity within 24 hours. I usually only use the dregs from 1-2 stubbies depending on the urgency of the situation.

Generally I add them to a 500ml starter in a PET bottle. When I boil the starter I add some dried yeast to the boil (pinch) for yeast hulls/nutrients. You could also add a small pinch of DAP (di-ammonium phosphate/yeast nutrient).

Once the 500ml is fermenting strongly I step it up to 2 litres and pitch to 40 litres of wort roughly 24 hours later.

Like Rob said. The PET bottle is a good sign of activity (hardening) also it's easy to just slightly crack the lid to bleed off pressure.

Warren -

Dicko

Providing the CSA is fresh (I usually get it from Dan Murphys) you can get signs of activity within 24 hours. I usually only use the dregs from 1-2 stubbies depending on the urgency of the situation.

Generally I add them to a 500ml starter in a PET bottle. When I boil the starter I add some dried yeast to the boil (pinch) for yeast hulls/nutrients. You could also add a small pinch of DAP (di-ammonium phosphate/yeast nutrient).

Once the 500ml is fermenting strongly I step it up to 2 litres and pitch to 40 litres of wort roughly 24 hours later.

Like Rob said. The PET bottle is a good sign of activity (hardening) also it's easy to just slightly crack the lid to bleed off pressure.

Warren -

Thanks Warren,

I just checked the "best after" date on the bottles and it is 10/05/07.
I did add a pinch of old SO 4 yeast into the starter wort during the boil, I do this with all my starters.

I think I made the starter wort too big by the sounds of it and as well as I have it in a 5 litre demijon.
I also feel that it may have started a little quicker at a higher temp but I didn't want Banana Beer :D

I wanted to pitch it to the beer today as I have to go back to work tomorrow and Thursday and Friday are predicted to be 40+ deg over here. Not a good day for being in the shed, particularly after work. :blink: :unsure:

Cheers

G'day Dicko,

I use to do similar to what you have done with the coopers yeast , however the last few times I have used the yeast from one stubbie in around 100 ml of starter wort and action usually starts within 24-36hrs.

I then pitch into a 1 litre starter wort for a single brew and then 2 litres if I am doing a double batch.

Though I have never had a failure in culturing this yeast I have found this later method the most effective, I just do it 5-6 days in advance.

Interestingly I have only ever had 2 infections and one of those Im sure was trying to culture yeast from a couple of Mt Goat bottles using too bigger starter. It just seems to take too long.

Cheers,
BB

i ask the bottlo bloke to get me the freshest CPA's and use 5-6 stubbies worth in 500-800mls of starter.

Hi all,
Just like to report that all went well.
The CPA clone tastes great from the fermenter and I pitched a chocolate porter ont the yeast cake and it has taken off with a "head like an angry mother in law".
It climbed out of the fermenter overnite but all is well after the clean up

Cheers

Hi all,

Well I have finally got around to using a Coopers yeast from the bottle and I have a question regarding the starter.

I used the dregs from 5 stubbies of Pale Ale, I made up a wort with 200gr of DME in 2litres of water boiled for 15 mins.
I stabilised the temperature of the wort and the 5 stubby dregs to 18 deg c aerated by shaking it and then pitched all the dregs into the wort.
I then placed the starter in temp control at 18 deg with a bung and an airlock.

48 hours has passed with no real signs of activity. I have given it a bit of a shake a couple of times a day.

Are these yeasts slow to start or have I done something wrong??

Cheers

I would up the temp to around 24-25 deg and wait an extra 48 hours. It should be ready then.

How does the CPA taste Dicko?
Mine was awesome as wort, but lost a lot of ooomph after ferment.
Might have to dry hop to imitate the speise maybe....

How does the CPA taste Dicko?
Mine was awesome as wort, but lost a lot of ooomph after ferment.
Might have to dry hop to imitate the speise maybe....

Hi Tangent,
I put it on tap yesterday and it is undoubtedly the best aussie beer i have ever made.
I basically used Andrew Qld's recipe that he posted some time ago ( Thanks Andrew) :D

This is the recipe
View attachment DROOPER__S_PALE_ALE.txt

Cheers

Hi Tangent,
I put it on tap yesterday and it is undoubtedly the best aussie beer i have ever made.
I basically used Andrew Qld's recipe that he posted some time ago ( Thanks Andrew) :D

This is the recipe
View attachment 11116

Cheers

Sorry guys,

The mash temp was 67 deg c for 60 mins and the mash out was 76 deg c for 15 mins.
I dont know why that info didn't come out in the above attachment.
Got to go back to work now so I will sort it out tonight.

Cheers

my pale recipe has been quite a success too. I'm a bit amazed that it's so easy to brew.

For 28.5L
Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
Australian Pale Ale Malt 3.75 kg 71.4 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Pale Ale Malt 0.50 kg 9.5 % In Mash/Steeped
German CaraAmber 0.30 kg 5.7 % In Mash/Steeped
German Wheat Malt 0.25 kg 4.8 % In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Invert Sugar (Golden) Syrup 0.45 kg 8.6 % End Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
Australian Pride Of Ringwood 9.2 22 g Pelletized Hops First Wort Hopped
Australian Pride Of Ringwood 9.2 20 g Pelletized Hops At turn off

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Coopers-Ale Yeast

Hi Tangent,

This is the recipe
View attachment 11116

Cheers

Glad to hear your CPA turned out well Dicko, any chance of a piccy?

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back