Coopers Pale Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear your CPA turned out well Dicko, any chance of a piccy?

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I will post a piccy of the best Aussie ale I have made to date, because I have been at the pub, doing a comparison on the taste test.
The recipe is spot on, and I must say that I thank you, Andrew, for your original input.
This is a non filtered true version of the CPA.

temp_controller_015.jpg
Glad to hear your CPA turned out well Dicko, any chance of a piccy?

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I will post a piccy of the best Aussie ale I have made to date, because I have been at the pub, doing a comparison on the taste test.
The recipe is spot on, and I must say that I thank you, Andrew, for your original input.
This is a non filtered true version of the CPA.

To all the beer punters,

I had a few critics when i decided to make this beer.
I had comments of " it has got too much sugar" and " you are only following someone else",
but, the yeast is amazing, producing a remarkarkable 80% attenuation and is still the cloudy example of the true CPA in the clone.
The beer fermented out in 8 days and was in the keg and gassed within the second week.
If I had more time ( only due to impatience) I would let the beer condition in the secondary for a few weeks.
My next brew wil have 1 only, - IBU less and all other details will remain the same.
My methods generally ensure good oxygenation of the wort and a healthy starter to begin.
I also am very particular with temp control and this ensures me of a repeatable result.
I am rapt with the result and I thank Andrew for posting his original recipe.
This will be my "house beer" for all the bludgers, good beer punters, and all the ininformed guests. :lol:

Cheers

To all the beer punters,

I had a few critics when i decided to make this beer.
I had comments of " it has got too much sugar" and " you are only following someone else",
but, the yeast is amazing, producing a remarkarkable 80% attenuation and is still the cloudy example of the true CPA in the clone.
The beer fermented out in 8 days and was in the keg and gassed within the second week.
If I had more time ( only due to impatience) I would let the beer condition in the secondary for a few weeks.
My next brew wil have 1 only, - IBU less and all other details will remain the same.
My methods generally ensure good oxygenation of the wort and a healthy starter to begin.
I also am very particular with temp control and this ensures me of a repeatable result.
I am rapt with the result and I thank Andrew for posting his original recipe.
This will be my "house beer" for all the bludgers, good beer punters, and all the ininformed guests. :lol:

Cheers

That beer looks awesome Dicko, and I found the same as you, Good oxygenation, big healthy yeast starter and keeping the sugar level up are what gives this beer such good attenuation and a nice clean finish.

Cheers
Andrew

Sorry guys,

The mash temp was 67 deg c for 60 mins and the mash out was 76 deg c for 15 mins.
I dont know why that info didn't come out in the above attachment.
Got to go back to work now so I will sort it out tonight.

Cheers

I should also mention that the yeast was a starter from a CPA and not SO4 as the recipe says. I selected SO4 in Promash because I hadn't added the coopers yeast to the data base at that stage.

I hope I havn't confused too many people.

cheers

i did my second version today.
even though i used older stubbies of CPA, the starter took off really quickly.
made a few minor changes:

------------------------------------
Recipe Overview
Pre-Boil Wort Volume: 33.60 l Post-Boil Wort Volume: 29.92 l
Pre-Ferment Batch Volume: 28.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.032 SG Expected OG: 1.044 SG
Expected FG: 1.009 SG
Expected ABV: 4.6 % Expected ABW: 3.6 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 21.1 IBU Expected Color: 15.8 EBC
Mash Efficiency: 68.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
Australian Pale Ale Malt 4.60 kg 82.1 % In Mash/Steeped
German CaraAmber 0.30 kg 5.4 % In Mash/Steeped
German Wheat Malt 0.25 kg 4.5 % In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Invert Sugar (Golden) Syrup 0.45 kg 8.0 % Start Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
Australian Pride Of Ringwood 9.0 3 g Pelletized Hops First Wort Hopped
AUS Pride+ 12.0 16 g Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
Australian Pride Of Ringwood 9.0 3 g Pelletized Hops 5 Min From End
Australian Pride Of Ringwood 9.0 5 g Pelletized Hops At turn off

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Coopers-Ale Yeast
-----------------------------------

Thanks to BoilerBoy for the Pride+ I think it smells pretty damn good.

I know it's only about 16EBC but it still seems a tad too dark in the glass.
Was yours Dicko?

Hi tangent,
The above pic of my beer seems darker than the genuine CPA but in the flesh it is extremely close in colour. That pic was taken at night under fluro lights and is a bit deceiving.
My EBC according to Promash is 8.3

The hop additions will certainly test the flavour of the POR.
I await your taste test!

I bottled a few of my first CPA clone and I will say that it was nowhere near as good in the bottle as it was from the keg.
I will leave the remainder of the bottles for a couple of months and do another tasting after it has had time to mature a bit more.
I have got the second one ready for the keg as I type but I am going to filter this one to see how it affects the flavour.

Cheers

hmmmm, my ebc is vastly different to yours Dicko.
i may have to double check my malt colour settings.

my latest CPA starter smelled a bit funny so I chucked it and used Nottingham.
It's going to be interesting to taste the difference.

hmmmm, my ebc is vastly different to yours Dicko.
i may have to double check my malt colour settings.

my latest CPA starter smelled a bit funny so I chucked it and used Nottingham.
It's going to be interesting to taste the difference.

Hi tangent,
You appear to have about twice as much caramalt in your recipe than I have in mine so that would be where the darker colour is coming from

Check the comparisons. This also tells you my Promash settings. My colour formula is Morey
View attachment DROOPER__S_PALE_ALE.txt
IMHO the Nottingham will not have the malt profile of the Coopers but that is not to say that it won't be a good beer.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back