Coopers Pale Ale Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a huge Pale Ale fan and new to Home Brew,
Made a Pale Ale with a Tin Of Pale Ale, Tin of Light Malt and 1kg of Corn Syrup.
Pretty impressed with the end result and so are my mates, so a winner for me

Cheers

Robbo

You cant make a good beer from a kit.

Drew, don't start mate :) you were there one day too. You can make some good beer with a kit, it's just how you dress it up. But you can't polish a turd, and i think the CPA kits are just that - a very crap imitation of real CPA.

I disagree, you can definitely make a good brew from a kit, given some consideration to additions, and no doubt you can make a rather ordinary beer using AG as well.

Couldnt resist a stir fellas.

Enough of you guys will remember my passionate defending of the kit and bits style, against the evil Partial and Fullmash people.

Tis water off a ducks back really! I love beer, love making it, love drinking it, not fussed who/when/how it was made, just the results!

Exactly mate and as long as your happy with the results thats the main thing.

that has to be one of the funniest things i have read here drew. hahaha

I personally didn't mind this kit and I have recommended a few mates to try this as their first kit, nice and simple to make, nothing too out there.

I did it with a coopers brew enhancer (going back a while now) and some cascade finishing hops.

The keg didn't last long.

Seems to be pretty popular too: http://www.hbkitreviews.com/view-id-17-coo...n-pale-ale.html

Hey Pugs,

I assume from the fact you last made it according to the directions you are fairly new to this...if not, my apologies (I'm no ace by all means anyway).

Here is one that is sure to please your mates and super-easy to make up, no special equipment required and any HBS can sell you the hops.

Take 2x cans Cooper's Australian Pale Ale.

Pour all but about 1/4 of a can into the fermenter and set fermenter aside.
Put the remaining goop into a fairly reasonable sized stock pot, add boiling water and bring back to boil.
Add hops and honey at these stages:
8g Fuggles (boil for 30 mins)
8g Fuggles (boil for 10 mins)
1 tablespoon honey (boil 5 mins)

Pour the resultant mixture into your fermenter and top up to 21 litres at a temperature of around 18 degrees.

Add both sachets of supplied yeast and ferment at 18-20 degrees for nine days before bottling/kegging.

This is nothing special, but a whole lot better than what you'd get following the instructions...and if your mates get into it you'll be cleaned out in no time :)

PZ.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but was thinking about doing this recipe and just wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Cheers and Beers

Robbo

Ya got me looking :)
From I've read indicates that Fuggles hops are for darker Pommy style beers (my interpretation anyway), so I'll be watch this thread now - purely for educational purposes of course. ;)

I've been experimenting with cascade, super alpha, saaz & super pride. If you've got'em, cascade would definitely give you a good result.

But I'm interested in a report on the fuggles

From I've read indicates that Fuggles hops are for darker Pommy style beers (my interpretation anyway), so I'll be watch this thread now - purely for educational purposes of course. ;)

I've been experimenting with cascade, super alpha, saaz & super pride. If you've got'em, cascade would definitely give you a good result.

Havent bought any for this yet, so am open to suggestions!!

Hi robbo,

The beauty of home brewing is that if you want to use Fuggles in your Pale Ale well you can. There are no rules.

I use a decent spoonful of Fuggles in my IPA, it makes for some astringency early on but mellows out after 3 to 4 months into great ale.
So if your using Fuggles, expect a longer than usual bottle aging. Having said that, I boiled 25 g into 2.25 kg of malt. Your two can will have some serious bitterness ( 21 IBU x 2 plus a few = about 45 IBU), and at close to 6% this will be a cracking beer very similar to proper IPA.

The Pale Ale is supposed to be hopped with Styrian Goldings, I haven't tatsed this in combo with Fuggles, but I've made UK Goldings in combo with Fuggles and it turns out really good. My pale ale with 50g cascade added to 1.5 kg malt came out marvellous. Cascade if you're conservative, Fuggles if you're game to experiment.

Go for it, and let us know how it turns out, but allow at least 4 months bottle aging I reckon.

Hi robbo,

The beauty of home brewing is that if you want to use Fuggles in your Pale Ale well you can. There are no rules.

I use a decent spoonful of Fuggles in my IPA, it makes for some astringency early on but mellows out after 3 to 4 months into great ale.
So if your using Fuggles, expect a longer than usual bottle aging. Having said that, I boiled 25 g into 2.25 kg of malt. Your two can will have some serious bitterness ( 21 IBU x 2 plus a few = about 45 IBU), and at close to 6% this will be a cracking beer very similar to proper IPA.

The Pale Ale is supposed to be hopped with Styrian Goldings, I haven't tatsed this in combo with Fuggles, but I've made UK Goldings in combo with Fuggles and it turns out really good. My pale ale with 50g cascade added to 1.5 kg malt came out marvellous. Cascade if you're conservative, Fuggles if you're game to experiment.

Go for it, and let us know how it turns out, but allow at least 4 months bottle aging I reckon.

I am a kegger so will be be primary for a week or two and maybe into a cube for another week or two and then in the keg and drinking in the next week after, so am i best to go with the twocan or should i just go a can with a mix of dry malt and dextrose along with the hops.

Cheers and Beers

Robbo

I am a kegger so will be be primary for a week or two and maybe into a cube for another week or two and then in the keg and drinking in the next week after, so am i best to go with the twocan or should i just go a can with a mix of dry malt and dextrose along with the hops.

Cheers and Beers

Robbo
Flip a coin mate. The choice is yours.

Toucanning is for lazy people. :lol:

Hopping is a little more involved.

Use more dry malt than dex if you're gunna go that way.

When I next get some hops in I'll get some Fuggles specifically to try them in the CPA.

What I intend to do is:
1 can CPA
1kg Light dme
25gms Fuggle Hops

1. In a pot - boil upto 5 litres water, then remove from heat.
2. Add and dissolved L dme and bring back to boil
3. Add 5 gms hops
4. After 10 mins add further 5 gms hops
5. Another 5 mins 5gms & turn off heat immediately
6. Add kit to hot mix and stir in and dissolve
7. Cool in cold water bath and strain to fermanter.
8. Continue as usual.

20mins 5gms
10mins 5gms
05mins 5gms
00mins 5 gms + kit (flame out)

23 litres......

Fuggles are definitely not restricted in their use to darker English beers.

They are a classic english ale hop yes but for all colour ranges.

An english pale ale using the mentioned kit, some extra malt, fuggles hops and an english ale yeast, liquid or dry, would be most tasty.

And fuggles/goldings is a great combo!

Yeah, it got me interested bconnery.

Can't find any CPA locally so I'll have to wait until I go to the bigsmoke.

RobboMC:
For a toucan, I think 45 IBU is a bit over the top. I would suggest maybe 33-40. Remember your AA utilization % goes down with an increase in OG.

Yeah, it got me interested bconnery.

Can't find any CPA locally so I'll have to wait until I go to the bigsmoke.

RobboMC:
For a toucan, I think 45 IBU is a bit over the top. I would suggest maybe 33-40. Remember your AA utilization % goes down with an increase in OG.

but also keep in mind that the cans are already hopped, so its not like you are boiling the hops yourself.

if you want it to be a bit less bitter, boil the cans a bit, this will drive off some of the bitterness (But also any flavour/aroma hops that are in there, so you will have to add some in yourself, which in turn will up the bitterness again anyway, lol)

but also keep in mind that the cans are already hopped, so its not like you are boiling the hops yourself.

if you want it to be a bit less bitter, boil the cans a bit, this will drive off some of the bitterness (But also any flavour/aroma hops that are in there, so you will have to add some in yourself, which in turn will up the bitterness again anyway, lol)
Ah, this brings up another interesting Topic. I'll post another thread posing this particular subject so as not to hijack this thread.

Here

Back