Coopers Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyby

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the forum , I have been making home brew for a while and I have made some good and some not so good brews over the years.
I would like to try to emulate the coopers pale ale that comes in a keg not the bottle or stubby.
to me they are very different, colour and flavour wise.
I have made the coopers pale ale in the past using the coopers tin and brew enhancer 2 and it did not even taste like the stuff in bottles let alone the keg beer.

I may be imagining it but I can taste a not too distant similarity between the coopers keg beer and Hoegaarden .
The keg beer is definitely lighter in colour and flavour which I like and would like to try to make using
A tin or 2 of something and some additives .
any ideas? Cheers. :icon_chickcheers:

Key to coopers is using the real yeast which you can reculture from the bottles. There is an article in the wiki section on how to do it.

The stuff that comes with the tins is not the same yeast and you can't hope to replicate coopers without it.

If you can get hold of some fresh pride of ringwood flowers and are ready to try an extract brew (like kits but involves boiling hops and using malt extract instead of the tin) you might get close.
The difference in kegging and bottled versions is most likely that one is kegged and one is bottled - otherwise same beer.

I would have thought the kegs are forced carbonated with CO2, rather than the bottles which are bottle conditioned?

Yes but the beer inside is originally the same beer - the difference is due to the differences found in bottle conditioned beer as opposed to draught beer.

I thought Coopers keg conditioned their kegged beer. As far as I'm aware Dr Tim's is the same recipe again but force carbed because the cans won't handle natural carbing. I used to know someone that worked at Coopers but I've got no idea if I heard that from him or from someone at a pub who's main claim to Coopers knowledge fame was that he'd just drunk 15 of their beers.

Coopers on tap would taste better because tap beer always tastes better than bottled beer assuming that yr drinking somewhere that looks after their lines.

the pub up the road from where I live serves the best pale ale I have ever had.
I have tried it at quite a few pubs and it it does not always taste good or have a good head.

the keg beer is lighter in colour and does have a different flavour.
I realise keg beer usually is better than bottled beer but with the plale there is a big difference to me.

cheers :icon_cheers:

the pub up the road from where I live serves the best pale ale I have ever had.
I have tried it at quite a few pubs and it it does not always taste good or have a good head.

the keg beer is lighter in colour and does have a different flavour.
I realise keg beer usually is better than bottled beer but with the plale there is a big difference to me.

cheers :icon_cheers:

Maybe Coopers hold the keg beer in the bright tanks longer prior to filling the kegs. Also you will get some cloudiness from the yeast in the bottle.

I would attempt your hand at an extract, as CPA is such a basic brew to make.

Get one or two of those Big W 19L pots
(I recommend 2)

(maybe check recipieDB for a recipie, this one is off the top of my head but I think it would be great and close)
2.75kg LDME
0.25kg White Sugar (you could even try 0.5kg sugar)
28g POR Hops9.0%AA @ 60mins (make it 30g if you only have 1 pot)

3/4 fill with water, bring to the boil. (do both pots if you got 2)
Add your malt, and set timer for 60mins (half malt into each pot if using 2)
As you start your timer add hops to the pot(s).
Maintain a rolling boil for 60mins.
5mins before your turn the heat off throw in the sugar

Cool and ferment using recultured CPA yeast. Do not use any different yeast, you will be disappointed.
It will be one of the best CPA beers ever.

QldKev

Maybe Coopers hold the keg beer in the bright tanks longer prior to filling the kegs. Also you will get some cloudiness from the yeast in the bottle.

(I recommend 2)

(maybe check recipieDB for a recipie, this one is off the top of my head but I think it would be great and close)
2.75kg LDME

Cool and ferment using recultured CPA yeast. Do not use any different yeast, you will be disappointed.

QldKev

+1 for everyone who has mentioned recultured yeast. Anything else won't even come close.

Also, QldKev's recipe will go exceptionally close to a clone. 27IBU's (bitterness), probably around 10-12EBC's (colour). 4.6ish %ABV

thanks allot for the recipe and advice,
ill give it a try as soon as I get the ingredients,

Cheers :beerbang:

(I recommend 2)

2.75kg LDME

QldKev

Back