Coopers Pale Ale All Grain Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoppy2B said:
I had a pint of CPA on tap for the first time last Friday night at some pub in Brompton and I couldn't believe how tart it was. With all this talk of banana esters I can't but help think CPA resembles something of an English wheat.
CPA was my go to beer prior to my becoming more involved with homebrewing. I've only ever had one stubbie which I haven't drunk straight from the bottle and that was about a month ago, which I bought specifically to culture up the yeast. I didn't get tartness in the stubby and thought it may have had some Cluster as a late addition so used some homegrown Cluster in a 10lt batch to build up my yeast stock. Not sure now. :unsure: Haven't bottle it yet.
CPA on tap will taste different from pub to pub. It is how the keg is handled.
One publican who always served an excellent CPA told me that he stores his kegs upside down and inverts them right way up when he taps 'em.
His CPA's were the best I have tasted on tap from any pub.
I would have thought that a pub in Brompton would know how to serve CPA being that close to the brewery.
If you had one from a stubbie and you were going to harvest the yeast, then it would taste entirely different to a stubbie that has been "rolled"
Rolling is optional depending on your preffered taste, to bring the yeast from the bottom back into suspension which will alter the taste dramatically.

Andrews recipes for CPA are both crackers and are on my "regulars" list.

Cheers

dicko said:
CPA on tap will taste different from pub to pub. It is how the keg is handled.
One publican who always served an excellent CPA told me that he stores his kegs upside down and inverts them right way up when he taps 'em.
His CPA's were the best I have tasted on tap from any pub.
I would have thought that a pub in Brompton would know how to serve CPA being that close to the brewery.
If you had one from a stubbie and you were going to harvest the yeast, then it would taste entirely different to a stubbie that has been "rolled"
Rolling is optional depending on your preffered taste, to bring the yeast from the bottom back into suspension which will alter the taste dramatically.

Andrews recipes for CPA are both crackers and are on my "regulars" list.

Cheers
Yeah, good comments there, thanks for that. The pint I had at Brompton was cloudy and I did enjoy it.
I just bought a long neck of CPA and finished the first glass which I poured crystal clear. I think I'll have the second half with the yeast mixed in so I can compare.
I might have to start making tart wheat beer and blending it with a fruity ale. I quite like the idea of an English wheat.

Nick JD said:
Is CPA 34 IBUs?
Quite right Nick, sorry about that guys I accidentally uploaded the wrong copy, I've now edited the post. IBU should be 27-28

Andrew

I am getting back into brewing and will probably give a reasonable amount of beer away and CPA is what my FIL drinks and I drink at a pub.

What ferment temps for the Australian Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP009) ?

I might experiment with this recipe to produce a 3.5% version of pCPA

No I haven't made a mid style for this beer although I can't see too much that could go wrong given that it's a very basic recipe, I'd keep the wheat and crystal malt the same and reduce the base malt only, also I'd drop the ibu to 20.

AndrewQLD said:
Here's the CPA recipe. all grain version no sugar added.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printnot - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Coopers Pale Ale
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Australian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (48.0) This is as close as I can get, pretty much identical to CPA, taste and color are spot on.
Specs for the beer are direct from coopers. 27IBU & 8.5EBC 4.5% ABV

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.16 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (4.0 EB Grain 4 93.6 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.4 EBC) Grain 5 5.3 %
0.04 kg Crystal Dark Bairds (240.0 EBC) Grain 6 1.1 %
26.00 g Pride of Ringwood [8.30 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 7 27.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 9 -
1.0 pkg Australian Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP009 Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Underlet Mash
Total Grain Weight: 3.74 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Strike Add 16.83 l of water at 59.5 C 55.0 C 5 min
Sacch Rest Heat to 62.0 C over 10 min 62.0 C 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 16.07l) of 78.0 C water
Gday Andrew I'm pretty keen to have a go at your recipe. Just after a little help on the question of whether to add the sugar or not? I notice the grain bill stays the same regardless. Any help would be great.

No Hutchy, go with the no sugar recipe, if you use the coopers yeast recultured or the white labs Australian ale it will attenuate down to 1.004 without a problem.

Well I boiled up a batch last week and just having the real deal now (pictured) wow, who would have known there'd be literally no head..

Attachments

• 20180428_130908.jpg
    20180428_130908.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 222
And here's my sample so far made with BB Ale base malt. Quite a contrast in colour so automatically I think the recipe is incorrect.
Mine was made to spec. 1.040 og with a light bodied mash @ 64

In tasting this one now, I'd say there's significantly more wheat malt than 6 odd percent. And we're talking a pilsner or at most pale 2 row malt, not 'ale' spec. The no head factor really screams simple sugars but apparently there are none direct from Coopers mouth?.. See how mine pans out shortly anyway. Will update. Have recultured original Coopers yeast

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524886962939.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524886962939.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 136
As a side note, it's funny people should mention wild "banana" notes from their attempts.

Just swiveling this one around while warming yields big banana esters on the nose. Never noticed that before reading and it's most likely the sole reason for people picking it up as a 'flaw'. We're always very picky with our own beers

Well my reculturing doesn't seem to be going very well.. it's been about 3 days now and there is no krausen forming in any of the bottles drspite shaking twice daily. There are only a few bubbles sitting on the surface against the glass but I'm not sure they're anything but left over from shaking

20180709_175747.jpg

Shit photo but started cold crashing this starter. 450ml at 1.036 using 6 stubbies of goop. Stepping up to 4.5L for a 45L brew. Using 100% coopers pale malt and PoR flowers.

Back