Coopers Pale Ale All Grain Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PryorBrewing

Reaction score
Hello all,

Anyone out there have a decent all grain recipe ? Something thats pretty close the the commerical version.

Thats easy, check out andrewQLD's recipe in the database http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=483

So easy and so cheap, i brew this stuff all the time. Make sure you culture the coopers yeast, as this is what makes the beer (plus the great recipe).

Edited to add~ When you ferment make sure you keep the temps down. If i set my temp controller above 16.5C it reall throws bananas. I've fermented this yeast all the way down to 12C, so you won't hurt it with the low temps. Too low though and it won't impart the coopers flavours.

Hello all,

Anyone out there have a decent all grain recipe ? Something thats pretty close the the commerical version.
AndrewQLD's recipe is a very good starting point, and you can't go wrong with that.
Edited to add~ When you ferment make sure you keep the temps down. If i set my temp controller above 16.5C it reall throws bananas. I've fermented this yeast all the way down to 12C, so you won't hurt it with the low temps. Too low though and it won't impart the coopers flavours.
I find fermenting at about 18C works well for me.
However it's interesting that the style-guidelines call for "high fruitiness" that is "often pear-like", while banana can be pushed at warmer temps, I'm not sure where the pear comes from.

For the best aussie ale I've ever tasted, try this one below. Fantastic beer.

I'm glad people enjoyed it. Such a simple recipe...and cheap too (if you don't count the six-pack :rolleyes:).

Recipe: Toybox Sparkling Ale
Brewer: Dave
Style: Aussie Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 31.90 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.25 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) Grain 90.43 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) Grain 8.51 %
0.05 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 1.06 %
25.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 28.8 IBU
15.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)
1 Starter Coopers Ale (from bottle) (Coopers #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body = 63.0 C and mash out.

Change bittering addition up or down to hit target 35 IBU. Eg. last year it was 30g of 8.3%AA.

Important to drink 3 stubbies of Coopers Sparkling or Pale Ale and grow up the dregs in a 600ml starter for 48-72hrs.

Pitched @ 18degrees - hold Ferment at 18-19 for 4 days, then let it get up to 20 for 2days, Took out of fridge on Day 6.
Kegged on day 7. It's a malt muncher :p .

Takes 2 weeks for this beer to meld - mainly for that late addition of hops to settle and make way for the esters to really shine.

Enjoy :beer:

PB

AndrewQLD's recipe is a very good starting point, and you can't go wrong with that.

However it's interesting that the style-guidelines call for "high fruitiness" that is "often pear-like", while banana can be pushed at warmer temps, I'm not sure where the pear comes from.

I've made it quite a few times, ok maybe a few more than a few times :lol:

I think AndrewQld's recipe rocks.
Use the real yeast from a CPA bottle, no exception!
Get good fresh POR flowers
I also ferment at 16.5c as at 18 the banana overtakes a lot of the other flavours
To get pear flavour keep the ferment temps cool (to hold back banana), and pitch a larger yeast starter

I think the biggest mistake with CPA is under pitching the yeast and resulting in a huge Banana taste.

QldKev

That recipe looks the goods will be trying that one.

The sugar in that recipe do you just add it the the boil ?

Can either add to the boil or if you look in the brewer's notes, there's a link to a no sugar version.

For the best aussie ale I've ever tasted, try this one below. Fantastic beer.

That's the sparkling ale, not the pale ale. Looks kinda of like AndrewQLD's recipe too.

QldKev

There's a couple of esters: propyl acetate and isoamyl acetate, that are pear and banana flavoured.

Twice I've overpitched (onto trub) and got massive banana - so it's a weird one. I think a little bit of stress (cooler, or slight underpitch) causes the pear ester to dominate.

I'd love to see the genetics of Cooper's yeast ... bet it's related to the Saison (and wine) strains. I think there might be emphasis on mashing low for Coopers, rather than letting the yeast generate the FG. I mash way higher than most of the recipes I've read.

I also ferment at 16.5c as at 18 the banana overtakes a lot of the other flavours
To get pear flavour keep the ferment temps cool (to hold back banana), and pitch a larger yeast starter

I think the biggest mistake with CPA is under pitching the yeast and resulting in a huge Banana taste.
I usually use 1.5-2L starters and the yeast usually chew through it in just a few days taking the gravity down to about 1.006 so that shouldn't be a problem. :)
I actually found it fermented cleaner with less banana at 18 than 17C, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the next one cooler again.
I'd love to see the genetics of Cooper's yeast ... bet it's related to the Saison (and wine) strains. I think there might be emphasis on mashing low for Coopers, rather than letting the yeast generate the FG. I mash way higher than most of the recipes I've read.
As far as I was aware it's come from a British ale strain.

CPA used to be my staple, and having brewed AndrewQLD's recipe, it is almost if not exactly the same.

But I must say as a brewer and a hophead I got sick of it pretty quick. So my advice is throw in 20g of Fuggles or EKG in the last 15 mins of the boil & dry hop with another 10g.... = :icon_drool2:

am culturing some Coopers yeast atm, Has anyone else used this yeast fermented cool with either Saaz or Styrians ?

I just pitched some of this yeast in a brew this morning, got it at 19 degrees,
Into the fermenter at 24degs, down to 19 as per the dial on STC-1000.

Thinking i will nip into the shed and knock it back a deg or two further (prefer a pair to a banana, ok ok deliberate grammatical error included).
Hopfeully i get there before it really starts fermenting. Yeast was very active / healthy in the starter so not sure how long of an adjustment / growth phase it will have.

Timely thread indeed. Might have to bail work early. Important issue to which I must attend!

Slightly off topic: I reckon this yeast fermented warm with a caramel / toffee english malt ale would be awesome. I love Banoffee pie, could be a match made in heaven, i feel an experiment coming on....

Cheers,
D80

Diesel80 said:
(prefer a pair to a banana, ok ok deliberate grammatical error included).
Hopfeully i get there before it really starts fermenting. Yeast was very active / healthy in the starter so not sure how long of an adjustment / growth phase it will have.
I brewed a batch with re-cultured yeast not long ago and was amazed how fruity the final product was. It was fermented at a constant 18*, and has ended up to be a remarkably complex beer given the simplicity of AndrewQLD's recipe. I think I remember reading somewhere the other day that 2nd and 3rd generations of coopers yeast tend to give off more fruity flavours. Bloody nice beer really.

JD

I'm looking to mess around with it a bit before stepping up to a FES for winter, have been working through my stash of Nelson Sav, and though my brain suggests it wont work, I'll probably split a batch and try it anyway, maybe somthing noble in the other half
though i think you are onto something thinking Deisel re caramel / toffee, and the pair, (oh how I love a big plump pair.)
Last time I attempted a CPA I underpitched and it was 20L of narley headache material,
big arse starter this time round, (oh, how I love a big arse starter)

I haven't used the Coopers Yeast with styrians or other Euro hops, but what I now do whenever I culture some up is to do a 50/50 pale malt and wheat malt, no spec malts, plus POR to around 30 IBU.

Even though it's half wheat it smells and tastes like it's straight out of the Coopers Plant but the mouthfeel and head are alarming :p

AussiePale2Medium.jpg

Back