Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Coopers Pale Ale All Grain Recipe

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by PryorBrewing, 19/7/11.

1. PryorBrewing

Posted 19/7/11
    Hello all,

Anyone out there have a decent all grain recipe ? Something thats pretty close the the commerical version.

2. ekul

Posted 19/7/11
    Thats easy, check out andrewQLD's recipe in the database http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=483

So easy and so cheap, i brew this stuff all the time. Make sure you culture the coopers yeast, as this is what makes the beer (plus the great recipe).

Edited to add~ When you ferment make sure you keep the temps down. If i set my temp controller above 16.5C it reall throws bananas. I've fermented this yeast all the way down to 12C, so you won't hurt it with the low temps. Too low though and it won't impart the coopers flavours.

3. manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler

Posted 19/7/11
  4. Wolfy

Posted 19/7/11
    AndrewQLD's recipe is a very good starting point, and you can't go wrong with that.
    I find fermenting at about 18C works well for me.
    However it's interesting that the style-guidelines call for "high fruitiness" that is "often pear-like", while banana can be pushed at warmer temps, I'm not sure where the pear comes from.

5. argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas

Posted 19/7/11
    For the best aussie ale I've ever tasted, try this one below. Fantastic beer.

6. QldKev

Brew Dude

Home Page:
    Posted 19/7/11

I've made it quite a few times, ok maybe a few more than a few times :lol:

I think AndrewQld's recipe rocks.
    Use the real yeast from a CPA bottle, no exception!
    Get good fresh POR flowers
    I also ferment at 16.5c as at 18 the banana overtakes a lot of the other flavours
    To get pear flavour keep the ferment temps cool (to hold back banana), and pitch a larger yeast starter

I think the biggest mistake with CPA is under pitching the yeast and resulting in a huge Banana taste.

QldKev

Gardo 05 likes this.
  7. PryorBrewing

Posted 19/7/11
    That recipe looks the goods will be trying that one.

The sugar in that recipe do you just add it the the boil ?

8. manticle

Posted 19/7/11
    Can either add to the boil or if you look in the brewer's notes, there's a link to a no sugar version.

9. QldKev

Brew Dude

Home Page:
    Posted 19/7/11
    That's the sparkling ale, not the pale ale. Looks kinda of like AndrewQLD's recipe too.

QldKev

10. QldKev

Brew Dude

Home Page:
    Posted 19/7/11
    Good point, I personally only ever make the no-sugar version.

QldKev

11. PryorBrewing

Posted 19/7/11
    Anyone got a link to that ?

12. manticle

Posted 19/7/11
    Brewer's notes are at the bottom left of the recipe. Link is there.

13. Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah

Home Page:
    Posted 19/7/11
    There's a couple of esters: propyl acetate and isoamyl acetate, that are pear and banana flavoured.

Twice I've overpitched (onto trub) and got massive banana - so it's a weird one. I think a little bit of stress (cooler, or slight underpitch) causes the pear ester to dominate.

I'd love to see the genetics of Cooper's yeast ... bet it's related to the Saison (and wine) strains. I think there might be emphasis on mashing low for Coopers, rather than letting the yeast generate the FG. I mash way higher than most of the recipes I've read.

14. Wolfy

Posted 19/7/11
    I usually use 1.5-2L starters and the yeast usually chew through it in just a few days taking the gravity down to about 1.006 so that shouldn't be a problem. :)
    I actually found it fermented cleaner with less banana at 18 than 17C, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the next one cooler again.
    As far as I was aware it's come from a British ale strain.

15. Phoney

Home Page:
    Posted 19/7/11
    CPA used to be my staple, and having brewed AndrewQLD's recipe, it is almost if not exactly the same.

But I must say as a brewer and a hophead I got sick of it pretty quick. So my advice is throw in 20g of Fuggles or EKG in the last 15 mins of the boil & dry hop with another 10g.... = :icon_drool2:

16. Mikedub

Posted 21/1/13
    am culturing some Coopers yeast atm, Has anyone else used this yeast fermented cool with either Saaz or Styrians ?

17. Diesel80

Posted 21/1/13
    I just pitched some of this yeast in a brew this morning, got it at 19 degrees,
    Into the fermenter at 24degs, down to 19 as per the dial on STC-1000.

Thinking i will nip into the shed and knock it back a deg or two further (prefer a pair to a banana, ok ok deliberate grammatical error included).
    Hopfeully i get there before it really starts fermenting. Yeast was very active / healthy in the starter so not sure how long of an adjustment / growth phase it will have.

Timely thread indeed. Might have to bail work early. Important issue to which I must attend!

Slightly off topic: I reckon this yeast fermented warm with a caramel / toffee english malt ale would be awesome. I love Banoffee pie, could be a match made in heaven, i feel an experiment coming on....

Cheers,
    D80

18. JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.

Posted 21/1/13
    I brewed a batch with re-cultured yeast not long ago and was amazed how fruity the final product was. It was fermented at a constant 18*, and has ended up to be a remarkably complex beer given the simplicity of AndrewQLD's recipe. I think I remember reading somewhere the other day that 2nd and 3rd generations of coopers yeast tend to give off more fruity flavours. Bloody nice beer really.

JD

19. Mikedub

Posted 21/1/13
    I'm looking to mess around with it a bit before stepping up to a FES for winter, have been working through my stash of Nelson Sav, and though my brain suggests it wont work, I'll probably split a batch and try it anyway, maybe somthing noble in the other half
    though i think you are onto something thinking Deisel re caramel / toffee, and the pair, (oh how I love a big plump pair.)
    Last time I attempted a CPA I underpitched and it was 20L of narley headache material,
    big arse starter this time round, (oh, how I love a big arse starter)

20. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 21/1/13
    I haven't used the Coopers Yeast with styrians or other Euro hops, but what I now do whenever I culture some up is to do a 50/50 pale malt and wheat malt, no spec malts, plus POR to around 30 IBU.

Even though it's half wheat it smells and tastes like it's straight out of the Coopers Plant but the mouthfeel and head are alarming :p

[​IMG]