Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok guys i got the brewcraft mexican cerveza. it also comes with a dry enzyme. should i add this if i want a corona style beer?

Kai said:
If you want some extra hops, find some Glacier. They have a wonderful lemon flavour/aroma that would complement a Corona clone nicely.

My HBS can find no reference to Glacier Hops. Any hints as to where I would be able to get them?

Also, should they be added into a boil, or used as a dry hop?

As usual, Thanks in advance.....

M

[Edit: Spulling]

mandrakar said:
Kai said:
If you want some extra hops, find some Glacier. They have a wonderful lemon flavour/aroma that would complement a Corona clone nicely.

My HBS can find no reference to Glacier Hops. Any hints as to where I would be able to get them?

As usual, Thanks in advance.....

M

[Edit: Spulling]
[post="101986"][/post]​

Hi Mandrakar,
You could get them from here. Pellets are ok through customs

http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?catego...&page=2#results

cheers
Darren

Anyone sampled this yet am highly interested if it goes alright.

3 weeks in bottle - am going to try it on the weekend and will report back...fingers crossed.

cliffo

Tried the Coopers Mexican tonight - it's still green so can't really comment on it at this time...will try again in a week or two.

Anyone else tried this yet?

cliffo

Kegged a 2 can of this on 8/1 and I've been away ever since.

Will be cold and very carbed when I return home tomorrow...will post results then :beerbang:

PZ.

Weizguy said:
the Jan-Feb 206 issue of BYO has an article about Mexican cerveza.

They say it evolved from a Vienna lager,

So they started with Vienna lager, then took out the malt, colour and any lingering hop aroma it might have had?

mandrakar said:

I've never dry-hopped with them, so far I've only used them as 15 min or flameout additions. I got mine through a bulk buy Crispy organised, but you could try morebeer as Darren suggested.

then took out the malt, colour and any lingering hop aroma it might have had?
:)
it's a classic how to make cheap beer for the masses
just like rice in asian beers only corn, or what ever you have too much of...

Drinking my 2 can right now.

Not at all offensive in the taste department, but a bit thin nonetheless.

Pretty good hot weather beer...I'm off for another :chug:

PZ.

tangent said:
just like rice in asian beers only corn, or what ever you have too much of...

Corona is made from rice (around 40%, according to Protz), not corn. Extract brewers can knock up something similar using dried extract and rice syrup/rice malt extract from the health food section at Coles - it comes in 500g jars for a few dollars. Hop to around 10-12 IBU (Protz again) with a noble hop. Boil the hops seperately in a small amount of wort to minimise wort colouration. Lager, or ferment cool with a clean ale yeast for an easy-drinking summer ale that should please your friends.

yeah up my way in Ballina, north NSW
the local coles has just made there homebrew section heaps bigger
they have all the gear now even spares for the the drum
must be gettin pretty popular
but yeah you can buy all the sugars and dextrose for sure

Hi,

Canberra Folks where did you get your Can of Cerveza, been looking around and not seen it at supermarkets yet?

Yet to go to LHS @ Kambah or Kaleen.

Let me know.

Brownie.

Brownie said:
Hi,

Canberra Folks where did you get your Can of Cerveza, been looking around and not seen it at supermarkets yet?

Let me know.

Brownie.
[post="104786"][/post]​

Woolworths. BYOAH does indeed stock it as well.

M

Brownie said:
Hi,

Let me know.

Brownie.
[post="104786"][/post]​

Yeah, I saw some at Woolies in Kippax....might give it a go too.

Has anyone done one of these that tastes like a Corona?

Thats not what I was hoping for with the toucan, but a girl at my work wants to start brewing and shed like to create something similar to a Corona as her first beer.

After quizzing her, she informs me that she does indeed want that watery Corona-ness :eek:

PZ.

I "accidentally" picked one of these up at Woolies the other week - should have picked up the Pale Ale, but anyway. I've emailed Coopers asking about composition of this one since i can't find any information, the US sites usually list SRM/IBU's of the kits.

And they've responded, too. Basically the kit is just standard pale malt with Sylvan and Tetra hop essences, bittered to 16 IBU@23L. Bit higher on bitterness than what i was expecting, i thought maybe more in the low 10's for IBU rating. They said since the Tetra and Sylvan essences are used then the final product can go into clear glass. No rice malt or anything weird like that. Might make a good base to add some more malt and some different hops (about 15-20 IBU's Cascade) for an APA ******* hybrid.

DJR, sounds like a great kit then. My fav kit is the morgans canadian light as it is very light in colour/flavour and only bittered to 16 IBU as well. You can add whatever you want to it and it comes out a treat!

Latest posts

Back