Coopers Long Necks And Bottle Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
I soon hope to get my first brews going, and have read horror stories of bottles going bang!

Has anyone ever had any problems with coopers long knecks going pop? These are the bottles I will be using!

I've been using and reusing them for ages and never had a problem!! Just dont over prime and you'll be fine!!

Just following your correct priming rates and keep up good sanitisation and you should be sweet.

Coopers longnecks are one of the better if not the best home brewing bottles that you can buy easily.

I soon hope to get my first brews going, and have read horror stories of bottles going bang!

Has anyone ever had any problems with coopers long knecks going pop? These are the bottles I will be using!

Just make sure your brew has finished fermenting before you bottle and you'll be ok. Check your recipe for a FG estimate and use a hydrometer to measure the gravity of the beer, once you get a reading pretty close to, or right on your estimated FG consistently for 3 or 4 days in a row, you should be good for bottling.

Edit: Coopers bottles are great! :)

Just make sure your brew has finished fermenting before you bottle and you'll be ok. Check your recipe for a FG estimate and use a hydrometer to measure the gravity of the beer, once you get a reading pretty close to, or right on your estimated FG consistently for 3 or 4 days in a row, you should be good for bottling.

Here here, this is more important than the bottle itself, make sure fermentation has finished.

Coopers bottles are by far the best but if the above is ignored you are heading for trouble :eek:

Edit: Coopers bottles are great! :)

hi guys.

im looking at racking my batch of ginger beer for my first attempt at bulk priming.. but im a bit worried that my brew may not have fermented out properly... and im unsure of how to calculate my FG estimate..

can anyone point me in the right direction.... :(

my og was 1040 and its been fermenting for 8 days now at inbetween 18 and 20c. ive had an sg reading steady at 1004for the past 2 days.
i too am worried about bottle bombs as this is my first time with both glass and bulk priming

Coopers bottles are the business, excepting a silly period about ten years ago or something where they went to screwtops for a bit... but that lasted roughly as long as the 800ml CUB bottles from the same general period. The coopers bottles hold a fair bit of pressure, so you are safer if it is a minor overcarbonation issue, but if it is major, you would have a serious threat on your hands.

aaronR: Two days with stable reading is good, but I suggest leaving it for at least another two days, ensuring it reads stable. Firstly, in case there was a reading error somehow. Secondly, it will help to let the yeast clean up your brew a little after the ferment. It sounds like it is done, but excercise caution.

FG estimate:

If you brewed a beer many times over, I never have, I'm sure people here have, but professional brewers definitely do, and you keep records, and control your process to be repeatable, that will be one way to get an FG estimate.

The other way would generally be a calculation done by software. This is based on factors like fermentability of ingredients and average expectations for yeast attenuation, BUT this is absolutely a guide. There are many vaiables like ferment temp, mash temp, yeast health, yeast strain, wort nutrients etc. etc. that can affect it. So if you are bottling, dont ever rely on a FG estimate for bottling time, always rely on a stable reading, and play it on the safe side.

Also.. while I am on my preachy whiney little rant: If you do want to add more booze to your beer, absolutely add the sugars to the bloody fermenter at the very start, or during fermentation, let it ferment out properly and completely, and keep your priming sugar additions CALCULATED against liquid volume and temps etc. Even if they don't make it to hand-grenades, overcarbonated beers that want to crawl out of their bottles and onto your carpet are a big PITA to drink.

Back