Coopers lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy294

Reaction score
I Am putting down my second batch of coopers lager I have been told SO many things . I'm gonna use just the packet yeast .
I have been told to leave it for a week then others have said leve it for 2 weeks before bottling . Is there a general rule of thumb .

Control your temps, and use your hydrometer

Personally i would upgrade the yeast too

Yeah I have been told to have temps about no more the 18 . I'll try the us 05 yeast .
I have been told if it's about 18 u can leave for 10 days prior to bottling . And what should it read for a cooper lager on the hydrometer or what ever it's called

What else will you be adding and in what quantity ?

LME? DME ?

Have a look for the Kits and Kilo spreadsheet - its pinned at the top of that forum, This will help

I changed my mind which brew I'm gonna do. Got two .
I'm gonna put down the " coopers australian pale ale " with the brew enhancer 2 .gonna try keep temp around 18 deg

I'm gonna use a us 05 yeast . Sprinkle it in.

I got told to chuck the mix in and sugar ( brew enhancer . 4 liters of hot water ( stir it up ) then 10 l or cold fridge water then 10 l of tap water then sprinkle yeast in .

What should it read gravity wise or what ever it is when I do a sample ???

When? At the start or the end?
1040ish >>> 1012ish
When it is stable over two days it is done.
That kit is okay, lacking in hop flavours though.
You may want to dry hop (adding hops after without boiling them) with something if you are near somewhere that sells hops.

I am a newbie when it comes to this home bee stuff lol . So roughly how long does it take to get to those numbers u said ??? About 10 days

If you are a newbie all will be well.
Use the yeast you have, try to keep the temp around 20° and be sure to use BE2 > it contains malt and makes a big difference to the beer.
Work your way through the Coopers kits and enjoy.

1 1/2 to 2 weeks in the fermenter will see you where you want to be.

it will take as long as it takes.....don't worry about how many days.
Leave it 2 weeks then take a hydro reading....take another 2 days later...and so on until you get 2 readings the same.
Then let it sit another week before you bottle.

Leave it 4 weeks in the bottle before you drink them.

Coopers APA + BE2 + US-05 + 18c = a decent brew.

Soooooo much to learn it's all exciting . I been told not to leave more then seven days because it will over ferment lol goes to show how much they knew lol .

What's best way to do it ? Been told chuck ya molasis and sugar what ever in drum. Add 4 liters got water and mix then add 10 liters of fridge water then 10 l tap water then sprinkle yeast in

Troy294 said:
Soooooo much to learn it's all exciting . I been told not to leave more then seven days because it will over ferment lol goes to show how much they knew lol .
It can't "over-ferment" only under ferment. You need to make sure you have stable hydrometer readings over 3 or so days (within cooee of what you were expecting). Then it's finished but not before. If you stick around and read up you'll see that it's pretty common for brewers to leave beer in the fermenter for a few weeks. Once fermentation is complete, the yeast will start cleaning up after themselves which will leave you with better tasting care.

I'm also pretty much of a beginner when it comes to true lagers. My first effort was a Coopers Lager, which was fermented at around 24'. It was drinkable but verged on having some off flavours.

My advice would be to start with an ale first.
It is easier,especially in Qld, to keep the FV temps in ales fermentation range by making a swamp cooler/coolgardie safe to brew in. Here's my version....I have a wheelbarrow with the wheel packed up to get the tray level, three bricks in the tray for the FV to sit on,water to just below the top of the bricks,wrap the FV in a wet towel that trails in the water. I have mine situated in the breezeway of the house and depending on the humidity see wort temps of 18-22'.
I have my first real lager fermenting at the moment. After my dissapointing first attempt, I purchase a plugin Chinese/ebay temp controller for my w/shop fridge, got a Coopers Lager, swapped the yeast for S-23 and it's sitting there at 12'. Looking forward to a better brew this time.

I just have a Esky and I was gonna sit the tub in that and half fill with water then rotate some frozen water bottles

1012ish... >>> MUST be stable over at least 2 readings 24 hours apart.

Troy294 said:
I just have a Esky and I was gonna sit the tub in that and half fill with water then rotate some frozen water bottles
That will work fine.

A lot of the brewers in here are quite experienced and are chasing an excellent beer. Don't be fazzeled by all the technical talk. Just start simple and if you want, move up. There are a lot of home brewers out there plodding along with a kit and just leaving the temp control to nature. They are quite happy. You will end up with a drinkable beer and maybe even a quite nice beer. It's all about having a go and slowly improving your technique.
P.S. There is a lot of over the head talk in here but just ask and you will be answered. This site has certainly helped me move forward in great leaps. Also worth checking out youtube. Gives you some visual guidance as well.

Back