Cooper's Irish Stout, My First Try

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mborja

Reaction score
So I just started a batch of Irish Stout the other night, :icon_cheers: recipe as follows:

1.75kg can Cooper's Irish Stout
1kg light DME
1oz (28g?) Willamette Hops
11.5g packet S-04 Safale yeast

I boiled the DME in about 2 gallons of water, boiled approx 18g (2/3rd of the oz packet) of the hops for 15 min, then the remaining 10g for 5 minutes. Added the can of malt at flame out, etc etc...
The SG of the wort reads 1.044, hope it will finish out around 1.010.

I am simply trying to put together a reliable, delicious brew, which isn't too involved and time consuming. I'll update in a couple weeks when I bottle, then again after I finally crack one open.

Any predictions, comments, questions, feedback, recommendations for next time?

done similar brew last year,added 200 grm carafa t2 grains[for an added choc hit] steeped for 30 min,came out very nice,just try and keep ferm temp below 20*c /60f and you"ll have a good brew

So I just started a batch of Irish Stout the other night, :icon_cheers: recipe as follows:

1.75kg can Cooper's Irish Stout
1kg light DME
1oz (28g?) Willamette Hops
11.5g packet S-04 Safale yeast

I boiled the DME in about 2 gallons of water, boiled approx 18g (2/3rd of the oz packet) of the hops for 15 min, then the remaining 10g for 5 minutes. Added the can of malt at flame out, etc etc...
The SG of the wort reads 1.044, hope it will finish out around 1.010.

I am simply trying to put together a reliable, delicious brew, which isn't too involved and time consuming. I'll update in a couple weeks when I bottle, then again after I finally crack one open.

Any predictions, comments, questions, feedback, recommendations for next time?

Should be good, using S-04 and using extract I would predict a finish of around 1.015 - 16 watch your fermenting temp maintain 20 if possible.

Screwy

Yea I figured it'll probably turn out more like 1.014 to 1.016, not that it's a bad thing. I noticed on the yeast packet it has a temp range of 59-75 degrees, and the brew closet is usually at 70 degrees F.

I do have control over the temp and will probably adjust it. Thanks for the advice.

What happens if it ferments at 70 vs 60?

the higher the ferm temp the more likely you get unwanted flavours/esters like the homebrew twang most ales like 60-65f, largers around 50f the temps on the yeast packet prob mean pitching temps [not sure] but all my best stouts have been brewed @ 17c-62f

Yea I figured it'll probably turn out more like 1.014 to 1.016, not that it's a bad thing. I noticed on the yeast packet it has a temp range of 59-75 degrees, and the brew closet is usually at 70 degrees F.

I do have control over the temp and will probably adjust it. Thanks for the advice.

What happens if it ferments at 70 vs 60?

Pretty much from experience 20C (68F) is a good temp for a dark beer using this yeast. At this temp it will produce a typical English profile, slight fruitiness and a tiny bit of diacetyl and a little Acetaldehyde at 7 days. Leave it for a further week after fermentation ceases to clean up, then drop to 37F for a few days to drop clear before kegging/bottling (yes there will still be plenty of yeast left for bottle conditioning).

If you drop the temp to 60F (15.5C) it will go to sleep and can take a bit of effort to get going again.

the higher the ferm temp the more likely you get unwanted flavours/esters like the homebrew twang most ales like 60-65f, largers around 50f the temps on the yeast packet prob mean pitching temps [not sure] but all my best stouts have been brewed @ 17c-62f

The flavours/aromas (esters and phenols) produced by various yeast strains at various temps are not unwanted - unless you/the brewer doesn't want the particular flavour/aroma in THE beer that he is making.

Cheers,

Screwy

]

The flavours/aromas (esters and phenols) produced by various yeast strains at various temps are not unwanted - unless you/the brewer doesn't want the particular flavour/aroma in THE beer that he is making.

as the title says My First Try I was just sugesting that its better to keep your ale temps below 20c than play around with different higher temps to get flavours/aromas when you can get it very wrong which can put a lot of new brewers off,I'd hate to think of how many people gave up homebrewing because they read the Coopers instructions and brewed @up to 27c and tasted like crap,I've used saf04 on many Irish ales brewed @ 16c and it hasn't gone to sleep

Thanks for the input guys. I would expect it to just take a little longer to finish fermenting at lower temps, which is no big deal. I plan on holding it in the fermenter for two weeks, then in bottle for at least a couple more weeks. I usually only use the secondary carboy to let it clear if I'm going to keg the batch.

It has been bubbling away steadily for the past 3 days, seemed to take off slowly with slow airlock action at the end of the first day. Day 2 and 3 have been quite steady and busy so I'm sure everything is going well.

The funny thing is, I did a batch of canadian blonde ale in another fermenter the night after i did the stout. I used mostly dextrose and the coopers extract, with a packet of us-05 yeast, which took off fermenting within the first hour. This was the quickest I've ever seen so far, after a couple hours it was already bubbling quite often. With both batches in the closet, they take turns, answering eachother back and forth, it's a beautiful thing, or maybe I'm just not right in the head, haha. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back