Coopers Helgas Cool Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glomp

Reaction score
I am just about to jump into all grain in the next few days but two weeks ago I put down the above mentioned recipe from Coopers site.

It has turned out sensationally, even to the extent that why am I going into all grain?

There are a few caveats here.

I have used whitelabs Kolsch 029 yeast.

I have temperature controlled fermenters

I also have the stir plates etc.

But it is much cleaner tasting than I expected. Now I am really looking forward to all grain

What are good commercial representatives of kolsch?
I faintly remember trying some decades ago once or twice, but I no longer have any idea.

I also remember some aussie breweries often doing a one off summer ale, which is pretty much a US blonde ale, which is pretty much a kolsch ale... (Do I have that right?)

From Wiki:
Kölsch (German pronunciation: [kœlʃ]) is a beer brewed in Cologne, Germany. It is clear with a bright, straw-yellow hue similar to a standard German pale lager.
Kölsch is warm fermented at around 13 to 21 °C (55 to 70 °F), then conditioned by lagering at cold temperatures.
Kölsch is defined by an agreement between members of the Cologne Brewery Association known as the Kölsch Konvention[SIZE=smaller] (de)[/SIZE]. It has a gravity between 11 and 16 degrees.

Not sure of any commercial examples myself, ti's not a style I have much experience with.

4 Pines do a Kolsch which is ok i guess but not much different from any other euro like lager/pils. Furphy by Little Creatures is also supposed to be a kolsch but it didnt do anything for me. Better on tap apparently. I also had a proper kolsch from the Grain and Grape but again it was nothing special i thought. Maybe too long in the bottle.

I think none of the above beers impressed me because my first kegged beer was Loydy P's Krispy Kolsch and it was a cracka. Very nice beer. My 2nd one is in the firm fridge right now. Cant wait.

I've actually had a few different Kolsch's in Cologne and I must say they are very forgettable.

I was always looking for a Dunkel or the like to get some flavor.

The missus was drinking it and she hates beer.

Good lawnmower beer basically.

Oh and the serve it in tiny glasses (200ml) but it's not a big deal because the waitress's walk around with big trays of them and just keep putting them in front of you when you are empty unless you put your coaster on top of your glass.

I would say the Cooper's beer may very well have more flavor and aroma.

If you like the Kolch, have a look through the recipe data base under Ales and you will find the Saaz blonde. I have this on keg at the moment and it is in a similar vein as a Kolch. Very quaffable summer beer. I brewed it with 1272- American Ale II but a Kolch yeast would make it more authentic to the Kolch style.
But as a first all grain, it would be hard to go past if you like that sort of beer. It is low in hop flavour so you will really appreciate what all grain brings to the table in way of malt flavour. Nice a simple, single step and single hop.

Green Beacon Cross Knot Kolsch is another commercial one you might find out of Brisbane.

I haven't tried it but there pale ale is a cracker.

nosco said:
Just thinking about it now i should do the BCS kolsch as a comparison.
I did the BCS Kolsch but was out of vienna malt at the time so I used munich 1 (96% Pilsner, 4% Munich with Hallertau Mit to 25IBU). Turned out great with WLP029 and a long cold conditioning period.

There really aren't many (any) good examples of kolsch here in Aus. I'm guessing that's because it takes quite a lot of effort for results that are only quite subtle, so perhaps shortcuts are taken.

The best Aussie one I've had was by Red Duck (although it came in at ABV of only 3.4%). You can get Früh Kölsch - in a can - at some German restaurants here in Australia, although it will have suffered from the rigours of transporting it from Cologne to Aus.

Anyone have much experience getting the krausen down with kolsch yeast? Seems to hang around for a long time.

nosco said:
Anyone have much experience getting the krausen down with kolsch yeast? Seems to hang around for a long time.
Didn't have any trouble with my current batch (using WLP029 held at 19C).

I wasn't watching it closely, but it was well & truly gone at Day 9 (at which point I let temp rise to 21C for 3 days before crash chilling).

Maybe a temp rise could do the trick. Its only at day 7. The first time i used it, it 3.5 weeks to go down even with a cold crash.

Heres the krausen on my kolsch after 12 days. I have feeling its gonna be there for another week or so. Its like the yeast on top is holding down the co2 which in turn is holding up the yeast.

1454195081880.jpg

nosco said:
Heres the krausen on my kolsch after 12 days. I have feeling its gonna be there for another week or so. Its like the yeast on top is holding down the co2 which in turn is holding up the yeast.
I had a similar experience with Wyeast 2565 and after sitting at final gravity (1.010) for over a week the krausen still hadn't subsided. I did the bulk of fermentation at 14C and raised it to 18C when it got to 1.020.

I crashed chilled to 2C and the krausen dropped out within a couple of hours.

Potter's brewery at Nulkaba, near the Hunter Valley Vineyards make a great Kölsch. Did I say great? I meant authentically great. Was formulated by the former brewer after an extended tour of Köln.

If I had capacity to house such a keg (since the flooding demise of my keg fridge last April) and sufficient funding, I would without doubt have this constantly on tap at my place.

I have, over the years purchased kegs of Potter's Porter, Kölsch and Oktoberfest, back when MHB was available as an empty keg drop-off station (or maybe that was just as a personal favour to a few of us), and it's always been special.

I rate it highly, on tap at the Brewhouse pub. Yum, I feel like one for brekky now!

You can trust me on this, if nothing else...

Yeah it was 2565. The krausen went down after another 5 days but that was after I gave a bit of a swirl every night. I couldn't CC as its in with a IIPA atm. Been in the ferm for 3 weeks and just about to keg now : p

Latest posts

Back