Coopers European Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el capitan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I just bottled my last batch (the one I thought died), and will let you all know of the results in a months time.
I have just bought the Coopers European Lager for Winter and wanted to know if anyone has tried this brew, and if so how did it go and any tips to help it come good?

I'm going to follow the instructions (Coopers beer enhancer 2 instead of dextrose or sugar), unless someone else can recommend something else?

Cheers

El Capt

I just sampled a bottle of Euro lager, been 2 months since bottling and i must say without doubt, thats it's the best brew i've made, I only did it to instructions but it was really nice, fluke or not, it was very nice.....I have since done another as I would like to have a supply of this if it does turn out as nice...It does say 12 weeks maturation in the bottle, if you can hang out.....it should be good....

joe....

Hi joebejeckel,

Can I suggest you use the search function above - there was a recent post about this kit, and various recommendations to sex it up.
Good luck.
Hutch.

yup jazz it up. AHB can tell you how to make any K&K better. Use the euro kit as a subsitiute for the Bavarian lager. it by all accounts is a substitute.

i've just bottled one with 12g saaz and 15g b-saaz - BE2 and kit yeast. Tasted great out of the fermenter, so will let you know how it goes!

saaz went wll with the bavarian. check out this recipe. its mine but i recon it is really nice. im doing an extract version for the Vic caseswap. and I reocon it tastes similar to Hobgoblin Ale

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=471

Cheers all.

I think I'll batch it up as per instructions, then look at sexing it up for the next brew. Its so hard to find a review on this kit though on the web.

I was looking to see viewers results, and any reccomendations to better it, if it needed it.

Cheers all.

I think I'll batch it up as per instructions, then look at sexing it up for the next brew. Its so hard to find a review on this kit though on the web.

I was looking to see viewers results, and any reccomendations to better it, if it needed it.
It's a relatively new kit, released only late last year to replace the Coopers Bavarian Lager kit. Not too many reviews as yet, though if it's anything like the Bav Lager it'll be quite good. Checking the Coopers website, it's the same EBC (colour), and slightly lower IBU.

You might want to add a little bitterness, and aroma with some noble hops (saaz, hallertau, etc.), and substitute sugar for light malt extract, or one of the Coopers brew enhancers, and ferment with a quality lager yeast (S-189) at around 10-12 deg. A good lager takes time in the bottle to reach its peak, and benefits from a long time "lagering" in the fridge.

saaz, s-189 (craftbrewer swiss yeast) and long lagering. thats exactly what I did my mongrel Bav and it was great, so give it a go. ditch the sugar and go malt like hutch said.

It's a relatively new kit, released only late last year to replace the Coopers Bavarian Lager kit. Not too many reviews as yet, though if it's anything like the Bav Lager it'll be quite good. Checking the Coopers website, it's the same EBC (colour), and slightly lower IBU.

You might want to add a little bitterness, and aroma with some noble hops (saaz, hallertau, etc.), and substitute sugar for light malt extract, or one of the Coopers brew enhancers, and ferment with a quality lager yeast (S-189) at around 10-12 deg. A good lager takes time in the bottle to reach its peak, and benefits from a long time "lagering" in the fridge.

Once I bottle it, is it ok to place in storage for 12 weeks, or should I put the bottles in the Fridge to carbonate and settle there?

I'm from Brisbane and I'm planning to get the max temp correct.

I've tried the previous towel and water trick, works fine to get it under 20 degrees, but will try the esky trick with frozen bottles to get the temp down to 10-12 degrees.

sorry I fotgot to mention that I'm not sure of the yeast as its the one from the kit.

Is there anywhere that describes all the abbreviations? The link is currently not working.

you definately DONT want to try carbonating your bottles in the cold. it doesnt work (or it takes forever). when we talk about lagering we are talking about fermenting in colder temps then (idealy) taking the beer off the yeast (ie racking) and giving it an extended period in very cold conditions to condition the beer, then bottle and let it carbonate at room temp. you can then condition the beer at colder temps once carbonation has occured.

you definately DONT want to try carbonating your bottles in the cold. it doesnt work (or it takes forever). when we talk about lagering we are talking about fermenting in colder temps then (idealy) taking the beer off the yeast (ie racking) and giving it an extended period in very cold conditions to condition the beer, then bottle and let it carbonate at room temp. you can then condition the beer at colder temps once carbonation has occured.

Thanks Morgue.
About Racking, what is a easiest way to do this? I have 2 kegs and have read that you get a hose (from bunnings or similar), attach it to the tap and leave the other end of the hose in the other cleaned keg (on the floor of the keg to advoid splashing). Is this correct, or should I move a bit of the brew out first to get the first bit of the yeast out before running it into the other keg?

Sorry, just a bit green to home brew, and never realised that there were ways to improve your brew, than to just drink the yeast.

racking is as simple as transsfering from your fermentor to an empty container (where is fermentor to vessel, fermentor to keg or fermentor to vessel to keg).
your right about wanting to avoid splashing as this aerates the wort and isnt good as it can promote infection.
just stick the tubing into the fermentor and get it going into the racking vessel (gravity fed is one way). you dont want all the sludge from your fermentor going into the vessel so keep it a little off the bottom. there should be enough yeast suspended in the beer for carbonation (if your force carbonation kegging then you dont need any yeast). i

do a seach on racking and have read if your worried.

By fluke this is the next Kit I am about to brew. When finished I will keg it and force carb - is there any time it should mature in the keg before serving to be at its best? I try to keep the kegs about 3-4degC. I was just going to use the coopers brew enhance 2 as recommended.

Usually I can't wait and as soon as is gassed up (3-4days) it is being guzzeled!!!! :p

Cheers
Andrew

Did this one about 6 weeks ago, and just started drinking it ( despite the instructions saying you shoudl leave it int he bottles for longer ). I added some Hallertau to the fermenter to finish it with a decent aroma and add some taste.
Even for a young brew, it certianly is a winner to say the least. One of the nicest beers I have make form a coopers kit in a while.

Latest posts

Back