Coopers European Lager - Some Advice Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am currently into my second week fermenting the above. Have kept temperatures constant in by placing the fermenter in a refrigerator to about 10 degrees C. I think fermentation should be complete soon because I measured the FG a couple of days ago and the reading was about 1010. I don't really want to secondary it so I was thinking if it was ok to put it in the keg and then place in my kegerator to cold condition for 3 months? If so, should I natural condition it or should I false carbonate it? If I false carbonate, at what psi should I carbonate it at? Thanks a lot.

G`day eteo,

I was in your same position last Saturday and chose to lager my Euro Lager in secondary for a week or so.

Then naturally carb for a month in a keg, then crack it in Sept for my birthday.

I`ll be watching this thread as close as you! :)

Cheers!

Have you used this kit before? It has now been discontinued by coopers and the HBS has them on sale for $10.60 ea or 6 for $60 Im going to HBS tomorrow will stock up if reports are good. Its a long way for me to go so I make the most of each trip. Anybody use this kit as a regular? :icon_cheers:
Daz

It has now been discontinued by coopers

I thought the Bavarian was discontinued? Still good if you can find them but the yeast will probably need replacing.
For your birthday you might want to whack on a mexican or something that seems to need less aging and if it's not 100% ready just chuck in lime or lemon and be drunk and merry anyway.
I've done the European before and definitely recommend waiting for at least 3 months after bottling before drinking. It turns out pretty good but smells farty and tastes pretty weak when it's green. Mine was in the fermenter for 9 days at around 16degC. I did try it at 4 weeks, 6weeks and 8 weeks and on the enjoyment scale - it was only better than water.

Apparently, the Euro has a true lager strain yeast and it also smells like one but the instructions say that the yeast will ferment as low as 13degC but recommended range is at the lower end of 21-27degC ie 21degC.
So many mixed messages but I'm sure you'll end up with beer, drink it and enjoy it.
I hope it turns out great!

I'm also under the impression that it is the Bavarian that has been discontinued. The Euro replaced it.

I've popped one in the keg and force carbonated it after 11 days in the fermenter. I was quite happy with the result, but it did get better with time. *(Mine only lasted 3 weeks). I'd carbonate it and let the C02 speed up conditioning for as long as you can hold out. (I guess that depends on what other supplies you have).

As for pressure. If you are leaving it for a week plus, then just leave it at serving pressure for that time. If you want it quicker like me, then see the "airlock"ed article on forced carbonation methods.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10667

Hi, I did a bit of search on the internet and found that some people actually secondary ferment in their kegs. This makes sense both economically (no need to buy a carboy, just another keg for the same cost which of course can also be used as a, er, keg) and convenience (no need to do another transfer from carboy to keg). Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks

First I would let it warm to room temp to give it a diacetyl rest (about 18 degrees for 2 days if you can), then I would chill it down for a couple of days to help it clear out before transfer. Then I would keg it, leave it uncarb'd and lager in your kegerator as you suggest for anywhere between 1-3 months (Personally I couldn't wait anywhere near 3 months but good for you if you can!). Be sure to purge the head space with CO2 of course.

First I would let it warm to room temp to give it a diacetyl rest (about 18 degrees for 2 days if you can), then I would chill it down for a couple of days to help it clear out before transfer. Then I would keg it, leave it uncarb'd and lager in your kegerator as you suggest for anywhere between 1-3 months (Personally I couldn't wait anywhere near 3 months but good for you if you can!). Be sure to purge the head space with CO2 of course.

Thanks. I'll give a diacetyl rest a go.

I'm also under the impression that it is the Bavarian that has been discontinued. The Euro replaced it.

Sorry. My apologies to all. Went to the HBS today and confirmed its the Bavarian discontinued not the Euro. Been a bit outa touch after move to the sticks. Dont get there as often as before. Better lift my game eh, not even under influence for excuse. :icon_cheers:

Daz

DKS, from Kilcoy, what do you consider to be the LHBS? How far do you have to travel?

DKS, from Kilcoy, what do you consider to be the LHBS? How far do you have to travel?

I can go to Morayfeild about 50km or Kedron about 70km.Makes a fair round trip got to make sure there is other reasons for going. :icon_cheers:

Back