Coopers European Lager Hops Usage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenjak

Reaction score
I have a tin of Coopers Euro Lager and 50 grams of Tettnang hops and 180 grams of carapils for steeping. Suggested method of use for the hops?
Prost and Merry Christmas!

Do a 15-20min boil with 20g Tettnang, turn off stove, add another 20g and put the lid on. Sit for 10mins. Strain through a sanitised sieve into your fermentor. This should only add maybe 5IBU's plus some aroma.

Steep the carapils at 66C for 30mins and strain also.

I did this kit not long with kit yeast at about 12C and found it to be a little fruity for my liking. I would suggest S-189 at 9C for a really clean flavour.

I'd ditch the flameout addition of hops and use 15-20g straight in the fermentor after the first 3 or 4 days fermentation. Another week or so and you should be ready to bottle. Dry hopping always gives great aroma and taste.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: I used W34/70 last time and it turned out well, although the the S-189 would be a good idea also.

I was recently cleaning up some bits and pieces and added 30g of Tettnang pellets (after a very short boil) to a kit and kilo of Coopers Lager original series and it has turned out surprisingly bitter considering that Tet is a 'noble' hop. So be wary unless you like a bitter beer. I reckon 25 g (equivalent of two hop teabags) might be enough and save the rest for next brew.

dont forget to boil your grain liquor! use your grain liquor to boil the hops in.

I have 34/70 as the yeast. gthanks for the hop suggestions. I have never dry hopped before so might give it a crack with maybe 15 grams. Thoughts on putting them in secondary after racking?

When I dry hop I usually slip them into the beer after three or four days in primary when the original krausen has settled down. The hop material will sink to the bottom so shouldn't carry over into secondary - just the flavour :)

Back