Coopers English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone seen a LHBS stocking Coopers English Bitter kits/tins on Brisbane's North Side?

Hendo

Hi all,

Anyone seen a LHBS stocking Coopers English Bitter kits/tins on Brisbane's North Side?

Hendo

I know this doesn't answer your question directly but our local Big W and Coles stores here in Melbourne sell them so I'd try your local supermarket as well.

yeah i get mine from coles and big w on the south of bris.

Im in perth, and most coles stores have them, ive got one down at the moment...dont see why brissy wouldnt they normally carry stuff nationally

I've not seen it at the 2 HBSs on the northside that I go to, I have seen it at the hypermarket in Aspley though.

I beleive that there are certain kits that you can only get at the LHBS or Woolies / Coles. I think Coopers separate their market and sell different kits through different sales channels. It kind of makes sense.

Fear_n_Loath

Edit. Spelling

Big W in the Stafford Shopping Centre has English Bitter and all the other Internationals 'n' Originals, i think The Home Brew Barn on Gympie road has them too but for a dearer price and also he's got the Cooper's Premium Range

Do you have K-Mart up there in Brisbane? (oh yeah - a quick check of their site confirms this - http://www.kmart.com.au/locationshours.aspx )

I usually get mine from K-Mart in Penrith ... I'd imagine that they would stock their stores fairly similarly nationwide.

I recently did one of these for the first time & will definately be doing more - 5 weeks after bottling and it is a really good drop ... smooth head & flavour - even does the Kilkenny/Guinness thing where the bubbles rise in the glass as the head settles.

Here are my ingredients & results... I was actually concerned with bottling it with a reletavely high SG (ended up getting down it to 1022) - but in this case there was no need to be concerned - the carbonation in my bottles is just about perfect for an English Bitter.

My next brew will be one of these with a slight variation - about 300gm Golden Syrup for a bit of a "special" touch.

* 1 x Coopers English Bitter 1.7kg
* 1.5kg Coopers Light Dried Malt
* Morgans Ale Yeast
Calculated OG of 1060
-------
* 27/11/2009: Commenced Brewing - Filled to 18 Litres
* 28/11/2009: Signs of strong fermentation... 10cm krausen... airlock bubbling regularly
* 30/11/2009: SG=1025
* 02/12/2009: SG=1025
* 03/12/2009: SG=1025
* 04/12/2009: Racked to secondary and brought into house (a few degrees warmer)
* 06/12/2009: SG=1023 - put back in garage fermenter fridge (no power - just frozen PET bottles)
* 07/12/2009: SG=1022
* 13/12/2009: SG=1022 bottled (bulk primed with 80 grams of Dex)

I went to Kmart to throw one of these down as i'm pretty tight on time at the moment and have 4 free kegs.
To my supprise - $7.50 each. Couldn't believe it as every other time i've seen them thay've been over $13. I checked the use by date. 20/8/2011.
The cans were all dented, i reckon that's why they were going cheap, so i bought 2.

The Kmart was Kuralta park, SA if anyone want one of these. There were two left, 1 dated 20/8/11 other ??/2/2011

Al

I went to Kmart to throw one of these down as i'm pretty tight on time at the moment and have 4 free kegs.
To my supprise - $7.50 each. Couldn't believe it as every other time i've seen them thay've been over $13. I checked the use by date. 20/8/2011.
The cans were all dented, i reckon that's why they were going cheap, so i bought 2.

The Kmart was Kuralta park, SA if anyone want one of these. There were two left, 1 dated 20/8/11 other ??/2/2011

Al

Kmart Shepparton had them for $7.50 on Sunday when I was there (not dented).
Had tried it before and it just didn't do it for me, so I passed on the bargain. (going crazy on Pale ales at present.)

Planner

My third brew was a Coopers English Bitter and I thought it was quite good. I followed the instructions and only used 500gms of Dry malt and it really hit it's straps after 2 months in the bottle.

I've just put down another but I was using it as a base for a red ale.

1 x Coopers English Bitter
1.5Kg Cooper Liquid Malt (Light)
.5 Kg Coopers Light Dry Malt
250gm Cara Munich I
500gm Cara Red
120gm Roasted Barley
30gm East Kent Goldings @ 15min
US04 Yeast.

It's a rip off of Manticle's recipe from http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=39746 , adjusted because of what I had in stock. We'll see how it goes.

Back