Coopers Draught Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mclovin

Reaction score
I need some advise on this one,

After my FG readings were all good I did the taste test much to my delight it tasted ok. Then i decided i would rack the brew into a spare fermenter for another week before keging. But the second taste test after 1 week of racking was a yuck taste to the beer. I am guessing i stuffed it some how? Should i take any notice of the taste test? Or should i re think my racking technique.

Personally I'd ignore and keg the lot. If it tastes suss after carbonation and a few weeks to mature then start thinking about proceedure. Unless, of course, there is something definitely wrong with the beer...like vegetable/tomato leaf/cardboard/fusel/estery/sour tastes to it, in which case something is definitely wrong.

I need some advise on this one,

After my FG readings were all good I did the taste test much to my delight it tasted ok. Then i decided i would rack the brew into a spare fermenter for another week before keging. But the second taste test after 1 week of racking was a yuck taste to the beer. I am guessing i stuffed it some how? Should i take any notice of the taste test? Or should i re think my racking technique.

If you are using simple Coopers kits and yeast, there is little benefit in racking the beer. The yeast forms a solid cake and there is no need to get the wort off the yeast cake. By transferring to a secondary, you open the risk of oxidisation and possible contamination if any part of your secondary - transfer hoses, container etc holds anything nasty or improper. It is possible that you have over complicated a simple process. Or else you just have a shitty brew.

Always best to prooceed as normal and see if the brew turns out okay. Best of luck.

Back