Coopers Dr Tims Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the special thing about this beer is the can... it's plastic lined. As it's filled unpressurised (i.e. it's can fermented/conditioned), standard cans would collapse under the pressure of the can capper. They wanted a canned ale that they could sell at events that did not allow glass bottles. As for the name? Maybe Dr Tim came up with the can design or something.

I thought all cans were plastic lined.

On the can thing, I heard the problem was that before conditioning pallets would collapse under their weight when stacked up. That was from a talk by coopers at some adelaide beer festival a few years ago. Perhaps I'd drunk too much, or the guy was feeding misinformation. Obviously whatever the problem was they found a workaround.

And while I'm talking conjecture, at the time I believe the word from coopers was they didn't want to call it pale ale because they felt the can changed the flavour. But, that can quite easily be interpreted as marketese for, as already suggested, distancing it from the pale ale brand in case it flops.

And again, while I'm still here, I miss Dr. Tims. Whenever I'm back in SA I like to buy a slab of it, sit on a couch on the verandah and nail a few.

And one last point, to the other residents of the state I currently reside in: A slab is only a slab when it's comprised of cans. If there's 24 bottles in it then you may call it a case or a carton.

There.

And one last point, to the other residents of the state I currently reside in: A slab is only a slab when it's comprised of cans. If there's 24 bottles in it then you may call it a case or a carton.

There.
roger THAT!, slab = cans, carton = stubs

Pale stubs/tallies = my regular megaswill/roadie
Dr Tims = Shithouse

the only time i have willingly drunk Tims is at the BDO..... personally, i think its dead set rubbish. Id rather almost any other megaswill tap beer over the tinned rubbish, im embarassed to say im a big coopers fan whenever someone brings up the topic of Dr Tims.... almost embarassing

+1

Couldn't agree more... Love the Pales, hate the Dr. Tims. Also, the only place I have willingly drunk it is at the Big Day Out!!

On the can thing, I heard the problem was that before conditioning pallets would collapse under their weight when stacked up.

I've heard a similar story - someone told me that Dr Tim's was released for use at big events. You can stack slabs of cans higher than cartons of bottles because the bottles will break if you put too much weight on them. Cans help to save space behind the bar cos you can stack the boxes higher.

Latest posts

Back