Coopers Dr Tims Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
Have started now trying different beers in which i havent tried yet. People have recommened it to me to get my taste buds around different beers and then try brewing them etc.
Any way i bought a 6 pack of Dr Tims last night for the first time (Yep never tried it before!!)
I honestly could not stand it. I found it to be not to my taste liking at all....
Any one actually like the stuff?

PS i wont let them stuff go to waste ill flog it to my mates!!

I don't like drinking it out of the can, I get a weird taste whenever I drink anything from a can though.

And FYI, it's just canned Coopers Pale Ale.

Reali! i wouldnt have said that. Canned Pale Ale. Mayb it was because it was out the can. As i do like thier Pale Ale

I had done some reading on Dr Tims and it isnt canned Pale. Thats what i thought aswell.

if it isnt, its certainly similar!

I know a person who works for Coopers, and they have told me Dr Tims is Pale Ale in a can. They recomend pouring it in to a glass. That ways its meant to tatse like pale ale that came out of the pub tap. more so then from the bottel.

There is plenty of hear say going around regarding this beer.
One story is that the packaging company that produces their cartons and bottle caps wanted a bigger piece of the action so sent 30,000 Dr. Tim's branded cans to Coopers unsolicited, they were filled and sold and the name has stuck for canned Pale Ale. I believe this story to be accurate as it supposedly came out of a marketing lecture given by Dr. Tim himself.
The other story is that Coopers developed a special yeast that produced lower pressures for use in the canned product, presumably so it didn't deform the can during secondary fermentation therefore the product was not Pale Ale. This makes no sense to me as there are plenty of highly carbed beers in cans that do not deform, the shape of the can ensures that.
Cheers
Nige

Well bit of a story behind this beer that i wasnt aware of!
Ill try tipping it into a glass and tipping a pale into another glass and drinking back to back see what my taste buds think!

I heard the Dr Tim just "likes it in the can"

i would find it hard to believe it is a different beer...

its not available australia wide as I understand (I've only seen it in Adelaide) so would they make a totally different beer just to put in a can at very limited quantities?

There is plenty of hear say going around regarding this beer.
One story is that the packaging company that produces their cartons and bottle caps wanted a bigger piece of the action so sent 30,000 Dr. Tim's branded cans to Coopers unsolicited, they were filled and sold and the name has stuck for canned Pale Ale. I believe this story to be accurate as it supposedly came out of a marketing lecture given by Dr. Tim himself.
The other story is that Coopers developed a special yeast that produced lower pressures for use in the canned product, presumably so it didn't deform the can during secondary fermentation therefore the product was not Pale Ale. This makes no sense to me as there are plenty of highly carbed beers in cans that do not deform, the shape of the can ensures that.
Cheers
Nige

Actually, the special thing about this beer is the can... it's plastic lined. As it's filled unpressurised (i.e. it's can fermented/conditioned), standard cans would collapse under the pressure of the can capper. They wanted a canned ale that they could sell at events that did not allow glass bottles. As for the name? Maybe Dr Tim came up with the can design or something.

I heard the Dr Tim just "likes it in the can"

Superb. :icon_cheers:

Mmmm yet more controversy.

My sources tell me that when it was released around 6yrs ago they opted for a different name such as Dr Tims. Reason was that they did not want to damage the "Coopers Pale Ale" in a bottle brand in case the canned stuff flopped. Which in a way makes sense to me.

BYB

I never new kittens had so much to do with the brewing process before I joined this board.

THANKS, GUYS!

Have started now trying different beers in which i havent tried yet. People have recommened it to me to get my taste buds around different beers and then try brewing them etc.
Any way i bought a 6 pack of Dr Tims last night for the first time (Yep never tried it before!!)
I honestly could not stand it. I found it to be not to my taste liking at all....
Any one actually like the stuff?

PS i wont let them stuff go to waste ill flog it to my mates!!
Try their vintage ale then - its superb.

Pale stubs/tallies = my regular megaswill/roadie
Dr Tims = Shithouse

the only time i have willingly drunk Tims is at the BDO..... personally, i think its dead set rubbish. Id rather almost any other megaswill tap beer over the tinned rubbish, im embarassed to say im a big coopers fan whenever someone brings up the topic of Dr Tims.... almost embarassing

Cans chill down quicker, but they also heat up quicker. I'll reckon they suffer much worse than glass bottles from heat damage in transit/storage.

Back