Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Labs WLP009, which is the Coopers yeast strain has listed specs of 70-75% attenuation. However the yeast from the bottles may have different specs.

mosto said:
As a rough guide, I get 80-85% attenuation with re-cultured coopers yeast.
Cheers. At least it seems the Coopers figures are in the ball park.

I think I'd need to get 85% to get 7.5% as they suggest, but 80% is ~1.008 which they also quote in the recipe.

While I agree with 'it depends' it is a voracious yeast and will chew quickly down to sub 1010 in my experience.

pcmfisher said:
Unless coopers yeast is a munching beast ( I don't know), I reckon with those fermentables you will be lucky to get down to 1010. probably closer to 1015. Assuming batch size 22-23 litres.
I've used Nottingham and BRY 97 and have had 81 to 83% apparent attenuation finishing at ~1.009 on similar OG using kits and bits. I've only had a kits and bits beer finish above 1.010 when using maltodextin in the early days or Windsor Yeast.

So far it is still steadily munching down on the sugars. When the krausen drops I'll take a SG to check progress.

Reman said:
White Labs WLP009, which is the Coopers yeast strain has listed specs of 70-75% attenuation. However the yeast from the bottles may have different specs.
I might be way off, but based on the description...

"Produces a clean, malty beer. Pleasant ester character, can be described as "bready." Can ferment successfully, and clean, at higher temperatures. This yeast combines good flocculation with good attenuation."

... I would question if this is the strain Coopers use. In my experience, coopers yeast throws banana like a mofo above 18C.

I've fermented above 18c with WLP009 and I've gotten apples and pears, never banana. Below 18c it's been very clean.

The yeast started fast in the FV. It quickly chewed down to 1.020 but the really petered out.

I put that down to under pitching. Making a starter for the first time and all. Anyway I gave it some help with kit yeast and fermentation resumed. Now at 1.010.

I'm building up another starter because I want to follow up with the same recipe (different hops) with a better yeast pitch. I can't really say that this performance gives a true indication, but I've learned a lot along the way.

I have trouble getting decent yeast, like no way to get to a LHBS easily. I wish there were some that could express post dry yeast in a bubble envelop for $3-4. $9 min postage in a slow satchel isn't much good...
On friday I got annoyed because it's a PITA to get yeast so I thought I may as well buy a coopers 6pk for the yeast and drown my sorrows.

2 days and the yeast did nothing (using LDME)
So today added a tsp sugar and now it seems like it's doing something. Does this yeast not work well with malt extract or something?

Dry yeast is just fine kept at room temperature. If your WA shops won't post, try ringing some East coast suppliers like ESB or Country Brewer.
For example I get my Yogurt and Kefir cultures from CB and they come in a normal small padded bag and that would be a National rate.

Over the past 4 years all my dried yeasts, except for some S189 from Ross have been from LHBSs off the shelf and perform perfectly. How many Coopers cans do you see displayed in fridges?

Edit.
I usually give Coopers bottle yeast 4 days.

My Barleywine with wlp009, went from 1.103 to 1.020, which is 80%.

Bribie G said:
Edit.
I usually give Coopers bottle yeast 4 days.
Backing this up, the first time it fires up it can take a while. Once in the FV though it's a different story.

I thought mine was done at 1.010 for a few days, took it up to 24C to clean up after itself and it ate another 4 odd points down to 1.005/6

*edit* This was on a 66 degree mash, no sugar, estimated FG 1.009

Latest posts

Back