Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattrox

Reaction score
I did my first yeast starter using yeast from Coopers Pale Ale. I have used dry yeast up to now.

I pitched yesterday and a nice frothy white krausen is building today. It is Coopers DIY Vintage Ale (2013) recipe.

My ferment is holding at 18 - 18.5 in the fermentation fridge.

What attenuation have others achieved with this yeast? I'm messing with Ian's spreadsheet and want to plug in a reasonably accurate number.

I did a quick search but found nothing.

It depends on a few factors.

If the recipe is high in unfermentables ( Like Xtal or high mash temps ) then it wont finish as low

Ducatiboy stu said:
It depends on a few factors.

If the recipe is high in unfermentables ( Like Xtal or high mash temps ) then it wont finish as low
It's just a toucan and Dex with 200g of crystal.

I've used this yeast recultured many times
it seems to like 18-19 deg .
and is very aggressive at that temp.
depending on your sugars it may go down to 1.005
cheers

GABBA110360 said:
I've used this yeast recultured many times
it seems to like 18-19 deg .
and is very aggressive at that temp.
depending on your sugars it may go down to 1.005
cheers
Wow. Coopers recipe predicts 1.008 at 7.5% but if I get 1.008 it will be about 6.9%

Cheers.

I just followed Coopers' instructions. Yeast from 4 stubbed, yadda etc etc....

Yadda yadda have a PC Australian yeast that's supposed to be coopers, but it's just their sample from etc etc, so may be not be indicative of blah blah blah. Attenuation percentages would also depend on this that and the other.

Charst said:
Yadda yadda have a PC Australian yeast that's supposed to be coopers, but it's just their sample from etc etc, so may be not be indicative of blah blah blah. Attenuation percentages would also depend on this that and the other.
The brew a pretty simple recipe high in fermentables. I followed Coopers directions re their Yeast exactly. I didn't know I had to recite PB2's directions verbatum to get an answer.

My question was pretty simple, asking if someone used the yeast what attenuation did they get. Have you used Coopers' Commercial yeast? What sort of attenuation did you get?

If yeast manufacturers can list an indicative apparent attenuation, why is it a problem to ask what percentages people expect when they use a yeast? - Oh yeah, people feel they need to be a smartarse.....

Everybody's not dumb and realises that with everything YMMV. Thanks for your zero input.

You'll get out of the forum what you put in, your attenuation percent will depend on recipe (ferment ability of your wort), and yeast culturing methods (giving people an idea of how much yeast and what health it might be in). People want details so they can give you the most relevant answer possible.

But you asked the question without bothering to give detailed information, so your never going to get an accurate answer. I ask for more info and it's like pulling teeth.

I posted initially cause I have recultured coopers before, but if my culture method and wort is nothing like yours then I could post a novel and it would effectively be zero input.

Mine finished at 10.12 but that's actually pretty useless to you.

An (unconfirmed) ex-Coopers employee stated here that the Coopers strain in good health will attenuate down to 1.004 for a Sparkling Ale. The lower the OG, the lower the FG.
I've brewed a 1.045 OG beer that attenuated down to 1.006 with Coopers yeast using low mash temps and no added sugar, which is pretty impressive attenuation if you ask me. I think it was a long 63°C rest, lots of yeast nutrient and a big, first-gen - from the the bottles - 2.5 litre starter into 23 litres.

Charst said:
You'll get out of the forum what you put in, your attenuation percent will depend on recipe (ferment ability of your wort), and yeast culturing methods (giving people an idea of how much yeast and what health it might be in). People want details so they can give you the most relevant answer possible.

But you asked the question without bothering to give detailed information, so your never going to get an accurate answer. I ask for more info and it's like pulling teeth.
Yes the OP did need to give some more info. The question was really " How long is a piece of string "

Dont forget there are many factors that affect attenuation so we cant just give a blanket answer

Your question should have been something like this

Mattrox said:
I did my first yeast starter using yeast from Coopers Pale Ale. I have used dry yeast up to now.

I pitched about 100ml from 4 bottles yesterday and a nice frothy white krausen is building today. It is Coopers DIY Vintage Ale (2013) recipe.( Pale Ale and Real Ale +500g Dex.+ 200g Xtal )

My SG was 10something

My ferment is holding at 18 - 18.5 in the fermentation fridge.

What attenuation have others achieved with this yeast? I'm messing with Ian's spreadsheet and want to plug in a reasonably accurate number.

I did a quick search but found nothing.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yes the OP did need to give some more info. The question was really " How long is a piece of string "

Dont forget there are many factors that affect attenuation so we cant just give a blanket answer

Your question should have been something like this
I was really asking about people experience with the yeast. I'm sorry I wasn't articulate or accurate but thank you for your tutorial on posting style.

I realise there are painful pedants out there, but given I got a sensible answer from a poster out there I don't really see that the opening post was unreasonable or asking for a sarcastic reply.

If you want to punch in an accurate number on the spreadsheet, wait 10-14 days and you will know. What others have got ranges from 1.012 to 1.004 depending on a number of factors. So unless you are happy with a predicted FG with a range of .008 then wait and see is your best option. Lets face it, it wont matter what you put in your spreadsheet- you will get what you get and there's not much you can do to change it.

For what its worth Ill have $5 on the nose of 1.009.

Mattrox said:
I was really asking about people experience with the yeast. I'm sorry I wasn't articulate or accurate but thank you for your tutorial on posting style.

I realise there are painful pedants out there, but given I got a sensible answer from a poster out there I don't really see that the opening post was unreasonable or asking for a sarcastic reply.
I cant see any sarcastic replies, and the replies where sensible. An incomplete question was asked, and incomplete replies where made

You do realise that we where trying to give the best answer possible with a very little amount of info

Unless coopers yeast is a munching beast ( I don't know), I reckon with those fermentables you will be lucky to get down to 1010. probably closer to 1015. Assuming batch size 22-23 litres.

As a rough guide, I get 80-85% attenuation with re-cultured coopers yeast.

Latest posts

Back