Coopers Celebration Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would think it would be hoppier going by the press release, but it does hop up a bit as it get warmer. It definitley should not be served at 4degC. Cellar temp makes the world of difference. It's still a nice beer, and is as hoppy as a Cooopers gets.....baby steps......they will come round eventually.....

Ok,
Has anyone had a go at a clone yet or does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on a recipe?
Cheers

Yeah you're right. I don't think they had made up their mind what to do with the magnums when I spoke to them. I'm in the club so I was offered one but at $150 for a bottle I'd likely never drink? No thanks.

Time will tell what the backlash will be regarding the Vintage in smaller bottles, if in fact that's still what they're planning. Since its a strong, limited number beer they might get away with it.
Re: smaller bottles

- Not being familiar with the business end of brewing I can only speculate upon their reasoning but...a friend suggested that the smaller bottle 'might' have some taxation ramifications. I find this cause for thought as all the craft/microbrewers employ the smaller (333ml) bottles.

Another word on their Magnum's, if the alcohol was sufficient to maintain their beer long-term it would be a different proposal. I myself have one and am trying to decide what to do with it. hmm, mighy take it to a restaurant ;-)) heh heh heh

got 5 in the fridge and i think it is most definitely an average beer at best. it reeks of home brew that we all brewed at least once. it just has that twang.

Yeah aroma has never been Coopers' strong suit- pale ale is the worst of them all I think. Bready and a little bit pukey.

I still think Coopers Pale is delicious though- prob as I grew up on it.

But it's their yeast that always give off that distinctive aroma and flavor. You definitely know a Coopers beer when you drink one

Yeah aroma has never been Coopers' strong suit- pale ale is the worst of them all I think. Bready and a little bit pukey.

I still think Coopers Pale is delicious though- prob as I grew up on it.

But it's their yeast that always give off that distinctive aroma and flavor. You definitely know a Coopers beer when you drink one

Yeah, the biggest taste of this beer and all of their ales is their yeast. I liked the celebration ale but was not blown away by it. Their stout and dark still reign supreme for me.

tried this the other night @ the Sail & Anchor in Perth, I thought it was quite nice. Not outrageous, but compared to some of the other shit we threw down - it was quiet nice indeed. OT, but the winner at that pub was the Feral Hop Hog, for mine.

My opinion has changed after a second bottle of this stuff (wasnt too taken by the first). But now It's clicked. Its like a darker version of mountain goat steam ale. Fruity hops on a bed of crystal malt with a dry moderately bitter finish. The coopers yeast comes through as it warms up. Nicely put together. Must have been the green curry i had with the first beer that blurred my palate. If everything in this beer was amplified by 15%, this would be even better and worth keeping as a regular Coopers beer.

I love the way the Coopers yeast hangs in suspension in the glass. And you've got to respect their family owned status and resistance to being taken over (getting all proud-aussie now). Wouldnt it be nice if they bring out a few more interesting beers.

I have just received a response from my local beer (liquor) merchant and she is of the belief that the Vintage Ale is in a smaller bottle than they have previously been - damn!

Picked up a 6er of this a week ago and was pretty underwhelmed by it.

Not really a bad beer, but really thought it should've had more to it.

Needed some more malty notes and there wasn't much in the way of hop flavour or aroma.

I am not sure if these were just pourly handled (not from DM's btw) or if that is their actual taste.

Would prefer to be able to try one off a fresh tap to have a better idea of what it's supposed to be like and re-assess

Sponge

I'm takin' a six-pack visiting beer fiends, I mean friends, tonight. I think from the posts here that temperature may play a very important role in the enjoyment of the Celebration Ale. I have a tendency of over-chill my beers and allow them to warm a little in the glass to an appropriate level before consumption. Perhaps I just haven't left the celebration ale warm enough - tonight will tell.

By the pint, so it gets a little warmer than the tap serves it at my local, it's a nice beer.

I actually really enjoyed this offering....yes its not over the top hoppy, thats a good thing, its got a nice maltiness and
enjoyable level of bitterness.

No it isnt all hopped up, thats not the coopers way, it wont put too many people offside and as its only a one off it doesnt need to win over a market share.

Are they putting out a vintage ale this year?, or is this their offering....I hope there is still a Vintage to come...there always good and I look forward to getting into them.

I actually really enjoyed this offering....yes its not over the top hoppy, thats a good thing, its got a nice maltiness and
enjoyable level of bitterness.

No it isnt all hopped up, thats not the coopers way, it wont put too many people offside and as its only a one off it doesnt need to win over a market share.

Are they putting out a vintage ale this year?, or is this their offering....I hope there is still a Vintage to come...there always good and I look forward to getting into them.

Yep, the 2012 Vintage ale was released here in Adelaide last Friday. Might take a week or so for cartons to appear interstate

Yep, the 2012 Vintage ale was released here in Adelaide last Friday. Might take a week or so for cartons to appear interstate

Yeah just posted this then found thread for the vintage....may take a while to make to my area...last year took about 6 months....

must have....patience.... :angry:

Its on tap at my local... B)

And damn it is nice

Still on tap at my local and I find it quite delicious. However I did try a few six packs a month or so ago and was quite disappointed, really lacking in flavour.

Anyone care to suggest a hop schedule / ibu target?

I had it for the first time on tap last night and it was nice. Not amazing, but nice nonetheless. I'm not complaining though because I live in a rural area and I'm surprised they had anything other than megaswill.

As for hop schedule / ibu target I'm not sure, it was fairly bitter but not much in the way of late hops. At a guess I'd say about 35-40 ibu's.

In terms of hop types, I'd suggest something that says stonefuit because I detected something that tasted faintly like apricot/peach.

I also had a 150 lashes on tap and that had a more pronounced fruity/late hop taste and less bitterness.

Tried both the bottled version and on tap.

Have to say its a different beast on tap. Really opens up to release a great hop flavour.

Did not really enjoy the bottle at all.

As for hop schedule / ibu target I'm not sure, it was fairly bitter but not much in the way of late hops. At a guess I'd say about 35-40 ibu's.

In terms of hop types, I'd suggest something that says stonefuit because I detected something that tasted faintly like apricot/peach.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking bitter to no more than 20 with PoR then play with a bit of mid to late nelson & centennial. Don't have centennial so perhaps cascade, or there's a bit of riwaka, that's a bit apricot / stonefruity.

cheers

Back