Coopers Celebration Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brisbane folks - the bottle-o attached to the Melbourne hotel in west end has it.

I wouldn't bother to go out of your way to get hold of a bottle folks. Imagine a Coopers Pale Ale with a bit of dark crystal in it and you pretty well have this beer. Nothing special.

-Browndog

Had a bottle of this last night for the birth of my son in Monday.

Definitely nothing to set the world on fire but a big improvement on what is available. Certainly nothing to compare with American ales but good to see Coopers produce something with a bit more of a hop presence.

Maybe Aussie brewers are starting to realise there is a market for more hop driven beers (my brother works for Joe White Maltings and I mentioned this to him. He says the market in Australia isn't really there for it, probably reflecting our mega swill lager culture).

Anyway, big malt taste and the hops certainly come through in it. Quite a nice ale to sip on during the footy.

Just got an polished of a sixer tonight. As long as you don't compare it with any other beer or style it is a very good beer, fresh crisp, malty, good body, and flavoursome. It's very much a Coopers beer don't know why I was expecting anything else, easiest way to describe it is a Sparkling with extra body and a slight hop twist. If offered to me would be happy to drink, would consider purchasing again too. At the end of the day Coopers is Coopers and I think will always be Coopers and we shouldn't expect them to be anyone else. As if they were they would no long be Coopers.

Nothing really much to write home about with this beer.

Its nice, dont get me wrong, but 150th anniversary, nice flash label, two hops that would be new to them in Centennial, and NS, i was just expecting something a bit more WOW factor.

Someone previously wrote its like the Pale Ale with some crystal malt added, and i tend to agree. Would i buy it again? Sure, after all it has more use than just consumption, but i wont lose sleep ove it if i cant ever have another one.

Dissappointed.

EDIT: strangely, its got some very english thing going on. Almost what youd expect Old Speckled Hen would taste like if it was fermented with Coopers yeast, youd get this beer.

Found some of these at the Wine Room on Waterworks Rd.

I like it. Somewhere between the Pale and Sparkling. If it became a regular I would buy it. I find the Pale a bit insipid and the Sparkling a bit strong for session beer (although I do enjoy it). This one would be a good goto beer for everyday drinking, BBQs, out at a gig etc.

i do like the pear esters in combination with the subtle hop flavour and aroma. Even SWMBO said it was enjoyable.

Just tried one now.

Less than impressed, as mentioned, pale with some crystal and that's it.

For 150 yrs they coulda done better IMO

Pretty unimpressed by this. I've not had a midshelf beer for months - been sticking to my home brew or interesting craft output.

It's certainly hoppier than coopers standard, but it has a certain twang to it that I do not like.

I had high hopes when I heard of the hops, but colour me disappointed.

Actually, i've just finished the sixer i bought earlier this evening.

Still not all that impressed with it.

BUT, i did finish my stir plate build today........

**** it, the yeast is now spinning in my flask....lets see if i can make a better beer with it than they did.

I found the Celebration Ale to be an enjoyable beer with that distinctive Coopers taste.

All in all it is a commercial beer with something different; enough to spark a bit of interest but not too much to alienate the core Coopers fans.

I'm a big fan of Coopers Pale & Sparkling Ale so I was looking forward to trying this one.

Tried a six pack and it's a good session beer. Nicely balanced with a decent malt flavour, bit of hop flavour and a crisp bitter finish. It kind of looks like a darker / red version of the Sparkling Ale. However, it seems to have a cleaner and more crisp finish than either of their other ales. It would go down rather nicely at a BBQ. If you're expecting some kind of hop explosion or out there craft brew you may be disappointed. But if your after a session beer with a little more flavour than your average commericial brew, this one is a goer.

I'm a big fan of Coopers Pale & Sparkling Ale so I was looking forward to trying this one.

Tried a six pack and it's a good session beer. Nicely balanced with a decent malt flavour, bit of hop flavour and a crisp bitter finish. It kind of looks like a darker / red version of the Sparkling Ale. However, it seems to have a cleaner and more crisp finish than either of their other ales. It would go down rather nicely at a BBQ. If you're expecting some kind of hop explosion or out there craft brew you may be disappointed. But if your after a session beer with a little more flavour than your average commericial brew, this one is a goer.

You couldn't describe this beer any different, good job!

Pretty disappointed - I got this, based on their email that this would be a hoppier beer.

Nothing to speak of. A bit like Sparkling Ale, but with a touch of crystal and roasted malts.

Cleaner than CPA, but pretty disappointing - I really regret buying a 6 pack of it.

Pretty disappointed - I got this, based on their email that this would be a hoppier beer.

Nothing to speak of. A bit like Sparkling Ale, but with a touch of crystal and roasted malts.

Cleaner than CPA, but pretty disappointing - I really regret buying a 6 pack of it.

where did you buy it? I've been to a few bottlos and they haven't had it

Tried one of these at a mate's place on the weekend.
To me it was similar to their vintage ale but a lot more sessionable. Not totally outstanding, but perfect for a rainy winter's day.
Probably would buy a 6 pack if I see it.

I bought a carton today from Dan Murphy's at Mermaid Beach, QLD.

I can't say I am overly impressed but it is certainly a nice beer to drink. I drink the Pale Ale sometimes and like it but I am not that impressed but I drink a lot of Sparkling Ale and with every mouthfull I am in heaven.

I was hoping for that heavenly feeling but I am just drinking it. Nice, clean, tasty, but just a beer.

Damian.

Dan Murphy's stock the Celebration Ale at $53+ per case.

What? Vintage Ale in smaller bottles? ? ? Cascade Brewery tried this and their customers left them in droves.

I was under the impression the (1.5L) Magnum's were only offered to Cooper's club members or similar. Even then, the costs were/are er, um, surprisingly elevated equating to $50 per half litre (less for members).

Like others here, I'll stick with the Sparkling ale. The Celebration ale looks great in the glass but it just doesn't do it for me.

Dan Murphy's stock the Celebration Ale at $53+ per case.

What? Vintage Ale in smaller bottles? ? ? Cascade Brewery tried this and their customers left them in droves.

I was under the impression the (1.5L) Magnum's were only offered to Cooper's club members or similar. Even then, the costs were/are er, um, surprisingly elevated equating to $50 per half litre (less for members).

Like others here, I'll stick with the Sparkling ale. The Celebration ale looks great in the glass but it just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah you're right. I don't think they had made up their mind what to do with the magnums when I spoke to them. I'm in the club so I was offered one but at $150 for a bottle I'd likely never drink? No thanks.

Time will tell what the backlash will be regarding the Vintage in smaller bottles, if in fact that's still what they're planning. Since its a strong, limited number beer they might get away with it.

Back