Coopers Canadian Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyXR6T04

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been brewing lagers as i couldn't be bothered worrying about temps and stuff, especially being in canberra!

Anyways, i've just done an ESB bavarian lager using saflager w-34/70 and it turned out great. And i bought a coopers bavarian lager today, which i'll use a similar yeast and a brewcraft enhancer.

I did a Morgans Canadian Light (using czech pilsner brew enhancer) a few months ago, and kept temps at about 20deg, anyways, i was wondering if i could do a Canadian blonde/light using a lager yeast?? How much would it affect the overall flavour? or would i be best off sticking to brewing lagers till it warms up a bit?

I love both the bavarian lager, and the canadian light, but i'd really like to do another canadian light, just wondering if using a lager yeast would still get me good results??

Thanks guys! Great forum here, its good to see so many others who brew! It's amazing how much better the beer tastes :chug:

Hi guys,

I've been brewing lagers as i couldn't be bothered worrying about temps and stuff, especially being in canberra!

Anyways, i've just done an ESB bavarian lager using saflager w-34/70 and it turned out great. And i bought a coopers bavarian lager today, which i'll use a similar yeast and a brewcraft enhancer.

I did a Morgans Canadian Light (using czech pilsner brew enhancer) a few months ago, and kept temps at about 20deg, anyways, i was wondering if i could do a Canadian blonde/light using a lager yeast?? How much would it affect the overall flavour? or would i be best off sticking to brewing lagers till it warms up a bit?

I love both the bavarian lager, and the canadian light, but i'd really like to do another canadian light, just wondering if using a lager yeast would still get me good results??

Thanks guys! Great forum here, its good to see so many others who brew! It's amazing how much better the beer tastes :chug:

Yes a lager yeast would be very nice in this one. No problems at all.

http://www.hbkitreviews.com/view-id-101.html

Cheers
Steve

Hi guys,

Jimmy

I'm about an hour and a half west of Canberra and there is still plenty of time to brew lagers @ around 10/12 degrees. Just finished c/cing 2 batches of Canadian Blonde brewed with w34/70 lager yeast, 1kg of BE2 and 20gms POR hops. Tastes something akin to a tooheys Extra dry out of the fermenter. Time will tell ahen It comes charging out of the kegs !

Redgums

excellent! thanks for that info guys.

I don't mind doing the lagers, but i really love the canadian light/blonde. I have two fermenters going now, so i'll do a coopers bavarian lager, and a canadian blonde. That's great if i can use the saflager 34/70 in the canadian blonde.

In a few months when it warms up i'll start doing a few ales.

So i'm guessing it doesn't matter whether you use a lager type yeast in an ale??

excellent! thanks for that info guys.

I don't mind doing the lagers, but i really love the canadian light/blonde. I have two fermenters going now, so i'll do a coopers bavarian lager, and a canadian blonde. That's great if i can use the saflager 34/70 in the canadian blonde.

In a few months when it warms up i'll start doing a few ales.

So i'm guessing it doesn't matter whether you use a lager type yeast in an ale??

Well you could, more so with a draught type aussie style ale but you probably wouldnt want too with a heavy scottish ale or a stout...

Well Jimmy, it's you and me on this one.

I have a can of Canadian Blonde wort that's a little out of date so I'm going to experiment with a lager yeast (as I already have the next few batches planned for my other, heated fermenter).

To take the experiment up a notch I'm even going to reuse the sludge from the current Bavarian Lager as it contains a med-temp lager yeast. So my timing/heating is going to have to be quite precise.

I'll let you know how it goes and vice versa.

... worst we can do is make something that tastes like a CUB/Tooheys product.

Well Jimmy, it's you and me on this one.

I have a can of Canadian Blonde wort that's a little out of date so I'm going to experiment with a lager yeast (as I already have the next few batches planned for my other, heated fermenter).

To take the experiment up a notch I'm even going to reuse the sludge from the current Bavarian Lager as it contains a med-temp lager yeast. So my timing/heating is going to have to be quite precise.

I'll let you know how it goes and vice versa.

... worst we can do is make something that tastes like a CUB/Tooheys product.

deal :beer: i'll try doing the canadian blonde with a lager yeast and when its ready i'll report on how good it tastes compared to doing it with the normal yeast. the worst that can happen is i'll lose 20 odd litres of beer... if i was paying by the case i might be worried.. but hell, its a lot cheaper this way!! And damn it tastes a lot better too!

I love doing unorthodox things (or bastardising) to beer.

Had some very noice results, and some others that I dont share...

Just wish i could replicate the good ones!

I love doing unorthodox things (or bastardising) to beer.

Had some very noice results, and some others that I dont share...

Just wish i could replicate the good ones!

i have an excel spreadsheet with the ingredients of the beers i make, that way i always know what i've done, no matter how weird.

Latest posts

Back