Coopers Brewmaster Pilsener Kit, What Yeast Is It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deevee

Brewing Daisy beers
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was gonna brew a Coopers Brewmaster Pilsener kit and it says it comes with a true lager yeast? Does anyone know what strain it is? Saflager maybe? Hopefully the S-189 but I doubt it.

cheers
Deevee

If I am not wrong, it's still a Cooper's yeast

My LHBS guy talked me out of buying a specific lager yeast last time I bought the pils can, as he claimed it was a "true lager yeast" that would ferment out as low as 12c...

It comes in different packaging to the gold foil yeasts in supermarket kits, but that's no guarantee it is any different. :huh:

Odd that I gave the LHBS guy plenty of chances to upsell me on the yeast but he kept singing the praises of the yeast the pils came with?

PS: edited to note I have yet to taste the coopers pilsner, only been in bottles 7 days...

If my supplier is to be trusted, he says that it is a "premium" yeast from Cooper's. It seems to be of a different packaging from that of the other Cooper's yeast, so I guess he could be right.

Not sure of the actual yeast, but it is a lager yeast.
Brewed this one a couple of times, first time @ approx 18degrees per instructions. Not great.
Second time @ 12-13 degrees with a little saaz-b (motueka), certainly the most pilsener-like of all the kits I have brewed (& there have been a few).
Cheers
Mark.

My LHBS guy talked me out of buying a specific lager yeast last time I bought the pils can, as he claimed it was a "true lager yeast" that would ferment out as low as 12c...

It comes in different packaging to the gold foil yeasts in supermarket kits, but that's no guarantee it is any different. :huh:

Odd that I gave the LHBS guy plenty of chances to upsell me on the yeast but he kept singing the praises of the yeast the pils came with?

PS: edited to note I have yet to taste the coopers pilsner, only been in bottles 7 days...

Interloper,

How long did it take to ferment out? What temp?

thanks
Dave

Hello everyone,

I was gonna brew a Coopers Brewmaster Pilsener kit and it says it comes with a true lager yeast? Does anyone know what strain it is? Saflager maybe? Hopefully the S-189 but I doubt it.

cheers
Deevee

SAFLAGER S-189 unless Coopers have changed it.

stagga.

The pilsner yeast is straight S-33. The premium selection yeasts (with PS on the packet i believe) have a mix of S-33 and an ale yeast.

The pilsner yeast is straight S-33. The premium selection yeasts (with PS on the packet i believe) have a mix of S-33 and an ale yeast.

Do you mean "S-23. I thought S-33 is an ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back