Coopers Apa...what Hops To Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieh

Reaction score
GDay guys,
Just made a APA on monday....at 21 litres 18-20 degrees packet yeast, ive read the hops they use are POR....im wanting to dry hop or possibly steep some hops for 10-15 to release the flavor and aroma and throw the lot into the fermenter.....Ive got the following hops to use...POR, galaxy, hersbrucker, hallertau, cluster. Thinking of steeping POR then 2nite then dry hopping in the next day or 2, or maybe use a small amount of galaxy or would that alter the flavour of it too much?

GDay guys,
Just made a APA on monday....at 21 litres 18-20 degrees packet yeast, ive read the hops they use are POR....im wanting to dry hop or possibly steep some hops for 10-15 to release the flavor and aroma and throw the lot into the fermenter.....Ive got the following hops to use...POR, galaxy, hersbrucker, hallertau, cluster. Thinking of steeping POR then 2nite then dry hopping in the next day or 2, or maybe use a small amount of galaxy or would that alter the flavour of it too much?

At this point you will be just wanting to dry hop. I've done a very nice Coopers APA dry hopping with Cascade. I would probably use Hersbrucker out of what you have but each to their own :)

I am currently on day 3 of a Coopers APA with 20g Nelson Sauvin as a 0min addition. A very nice nose it has now.
I would go for cluster to get a soft currant profile or galaxy to get a slight twist of citrus something towards a soft cascade.
I would not go for Herbrucker (not that you can't use it but it would not be strictly in style in an APA). The traditional noble hops are generally used in lager and so if you get less of an intense hop profile but more towards an earthy one.

But try what you like and let us know how it turns out =)

I am currently on day 3 of a Coopers APA with 20g Nelson Sauvin as a 0min addition. A very nice nose it has now.
I would go for cluster to get a soft currant profile or galaxy to get a slight twist of citrus something towards a soft cascade.
I would not go for Herbrucker (not that you can't use it but it would not be strictly in style in an APA). The traditional noble hops are generally used in lager and so if you get less of an intense hop profile but more towards an earthy one.

But try what you like and let us know how it turns out =)

galaxy (in moderation) :icon_drool2: + :icon_drunk:

I've always used cascade and the results us mouth wateringly amazing... Galaxy would be a lovely touch though...

At this point you will be just wanting to dry hop. I've done a very nice Coopers APA dry hopping with Cascade. I would probably use Hersbrucker out of what you have but each to their own :)

Couldn't disagree more....

Hersbrucker has no place in an american pale, If you were doing a crisp european lager, then it'd be a different story.

I do however like the idea of using Cascade. Very common in APA's.

Also, most coopers beers are heavily influenced by POR, but they don't do an APA. I love POR, but it wouldn't be my choice for this style of beer.

Have to say that i am a big fan of cascade in pale ales, if you can get some cascade in to it i would, but like i said, i am a fan of cascade in pale ales. Having said that i have seen good results with galaxy aswell, you could also dry hop a little galaxy and 10-20g, let it infuse for a week and if you want more you could always add some more.

As most people above, Ive added cascade to cooper apa before and goes extremely well. Last time i did 15g 15min then another 15g @ 0. I think Galaxy will go extremely well with this too. Im going to make a pale ale with galaxy next.

As most people above, Ive added cascade to cooper apa before and goes extremely well. Last time i did 15g 15min then another 15g @ 0. I think Galaxy will go extremely well with this too. Im going to make a pale ale with galaxy next.
Chinook, nugget, galena, bullion, eroica and columbus are very popular here in the states in an APA

i would use 10 grams each of cluster and galaxy boiled for 10 minutes with some extract to add to the can of goo and about the same as a dry hop.

Couldn't disagree more....
Hersbrucker has no place in an american pale, If you were doing a crisp european lager, then it'd be a different story.
Since he mentioned Coopers I thought he was talking about an Australian Pale Ale, like Coopers Pale Ale.
About the only hops he mentioned that are good for that are the POR.

Latest posts

Back