Cooper Lager Kit + Cooper Stout Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy81

Reaction score
Hi ppl, im a newbie here. Recently I bought myself a cooper kit that suppose to come with a Lager kit. When I received my kit I got myself a Stout kit due to wrong packaging. Well i've complained to the supplier and they admit it was their fault and gonna send me a Lager kit. I get to keep the stout for free .. great!

My question is, can I brew both together? Or I'll just brew Lager and leave out the Stout.Here are my list of ingredient that I have:-

1. Lager kit
2. Stout kit
3. 300g Light Dry Malt
4. Two small bags of hops
5. Nottingham yeast 11g
6. Dextrose Sugar 1kg

I hope somebody would help me out here. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Should be fine. My baseline stout is a Coopers Stout with a tin of Coopers Dark Ale. Either use both kit yeasts or an S-04.

I've done a Coopers Dark Ale and Lager together. Turn out a dark red colour and surprising not too bitter. Just a hint of burnt roasted malt. Very nice. The stout and lager mix should be good also.

Thanks for the feedback . . gregb and Voskar ! .. Assuming that I'm combining these Lager n Stout together .. Do I need to add in the Dextrose ? Or I'll just go with my existing ingredient and boil 'em good ..

1. Lager Kit
2. Stout kit
3. 300g Light Dry Malt
5. Nottingham yeast 11g
6. Dextrose Sugar 1kg

Hi Jimmy

If you do it with all the above your brew will be just above 7%abv @23 litres

If you do it without the 1kg of sugar it would be just around 5%abv @ 23 litres.

Either way would be OK.
How strong do you wanted.?

Hi ppl, im a newbie here. Recently I bought myself a cooper kit that suppose to come with a Lager kit. When I received my kit I got myself a Stout kit due to wrong packaging. Well i've complained to the supplier and they admit it was their fault and gonna send me a Lager kit. I get to keep the stout for free .. great!

My question is, can I brew both together? Or I'll just brew Lager and leave out the Stout.Here are my list of ingredient that I have:-

1. Lager kit
2. Stout kit
3. 300g Light Dry Malt
5. Nottingham yeast 11g
6. Dextrose Sugar 1kg

I hope somebody would help me out here. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

G'day Jimmy , like yourself , very new to the forum & so far i'm thinking that if you can't find what you want to know here then it's not worth knowing . Anyway ! To your ingredients .

My first thought was that seeing you've scored an extra kit , why not put out an extra batch . So rather than going the Toucan blend ( not that there's anything wrong with that at all ) , why not just put the Lager kit together with LDM , Hops & Dextrose . There's 28 big bottles for you & i guess providing you drink Stout , maybe invest in a 1kg Stout Enhancer for around $12 or a Milk Stout Enhancer around $17 . There's another 28 big bottles . 56 in total instead of 28 + 2 different types of beers to sip on .

Just a thought , good luck fella .

Hi Jimmy

If you do it with all the above your brew will be just above 7%abv @23 litres

If you do it without the 1kg of sugar it would be just around 5%abv @ 23 litres.

Either way would be OK.
How strong do you wanted.?

5% abv should be ok for me.. I think I'll just take "Windy Hill" suggestion . . Save money, more bottles to enjoy.. ! Thanks for your input Voskar.. Thanks a lot..

G'day Jimmy , like yourself , very new to the forum & so far i'm thinking that if you can't find what you want to know here then it's not worth knowing . Anyway ! To your ingredients .

My first thought was that seeing you've scored an extra kit , why not put out an extra batch . So rather than going the Toucan blend ( not that there's anything wrong with that at all ) , why not just put the Lager kit together with LDM , Hops & Dextrose . There's 28 big bottles for you & i guess providing you drink Stout , maybe invest in a 1kg Stout Enhancer for around $12 or a Milk Stout Enhancer around $17 . There's another 28 big bottles . 56 in total instead of 28 + 2 different types of beers to sip on .

Just a thought , good luck fella .

I think I've found my answer to this thread . . What you suggested are good, and why didn't I think of that. Extra bottles to enjoy, sound really good to me. Thanks a lot for your advised..

Another good recipe I've done (aged up from October) was a Coopers Stout kit and a Tooheys Dark Ale kit. Used a few coopers yeasts if I remember rightly.

Goes down well with everyone who tries it, all I wish I'd done was do a 15 minute boil with 500ml water, 50g (big tablespoonfull) of one kit, and 20g of Goldings or Fuggles hops.

Essentially what adding another light kit (Draught, Lager, etc) to a 'Stout' type kit will do is just cheaply add a bit more bitterness and a fuller malt profile, without letting the whole thing taste like a big bag of dark dried malt.

Cheers - boingk

Welcome aboard the forum, Jimmy.

What hop bags have you got? Obviously different hops suit certain beers so let us know what you've got at your disposal.
Goldings, fuggles or even Willamette for the stout for sure. A teabag, or 20g pellets worth.
I've honestly never been into brewing lagers much so I'll let someone else suggest something.... I'd go with Saaz or Hallertau.
The nottingham yeast is a good one. The Windsor yeast went well in a stout, I reckon.

The Stout/Lager toucan (twocan, but toucan looks cooler) is a good mix, and so is going with 2 seperate batches, so it's your move.
As per Windy & Boingk's suggestions, the stout makes a great beer if you go with the right extras.

Cheers
Pete

The tin of lager, lager being a fairly soft flavour profile, would be cancelled out by the strong flavours of the stout tin. The lager tin would in effect become a tin of LME. And as pointed out you'd have to drop, or greatly reduce, the 1kg of sugar, unless you were after a high alcohol beer. I haven't tried it myself, just going by theory.

I'm assuming that the lager tin is the standard one and not the premium Thomas Coopers branded one? If so, the kit is a bit of a dud, in my experience, unless you dress it up a heap - I think it would serve your beer better used as part of your original idea than done as a very simple kit and bits as described above.

Just one man's opinion, obviously. Whatever you do decide to go with I hope it's a cracker.

Just gotta jump in on this band wagon, Scored a Coopers home brew kit, fermenter, bottles etc, and still had a can of the coopers lager with it. Have been searching for a toucan recipe to no avail 'till now. may try the following.

Coopers Lager can
Coopers Dark ale.
250g light dry malt,
250 g dry corn syrup.
24l
dry hop @ day four with 20g goldings.
any other ideas hear are welcome.
Thanks Ivan :icon_cheers:

Ps; good luck with your brew, Jim.

Thank you all for your advise and comment. I really learn a lot frm you guys. At least I know I'm not alone, felt like one big brew family.

I already start making my 1st batch of lager, and it was bubbling away happily, nice krausen forming up and the aroma are sweet just like Horlicks Malt smell.

My friend are brewing his very own 1st batch Stout, smell like heaven according to him. I really hope our beer turn out good. Cant wait to share it.

Thanks again people. Cheerss!

Latest posts

Back