Cooper Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday All,
Time for a new brew.. As mentioned above im ganna put down a coopers dark ale tomorrow.. Im intrested in some opinions and pointers. This is my first dark ale so im not too sure which way to head. Im going to stick with the packet yeast and ive got 1kg of Dextroses.. I am able to get the brew enhancers as well as LDME. I also have about 400grams of cascade hops left over that i would like to check in too.. Is this possible should i go with:

Coopers Dark Ale Can
1kg of Dextrose
Kit Yeast

Im not to sure about a hops boil pattern or should i just go with a dry hop..

Would love to hear what you think..

Cheers Tim

Swap the dextrose (which is better than sugar, I grant you) with some BE1 or BE2 (BE=Brew Enhancer).

I used to do my dark ales when I kitted with either some steeped chocolate grain or some extra dark malt extract. Always very yummy. The steeping process will give you an insight as to what AG brewers do for their entire batch, even if you don't want to go down that path.

And pay for a 12gm packet of yeast, if you are near a good LHBS to buy it. Less stress on the yeast (share the workload) = better quality beer. Wish someone had told me that all those years ago. I use WIndsor for Dark Ales, as it does finish high and gives fantastic body.

I'd probably hold the cascade over for a paler beer, it will get lost in the dark (it's scared of the dark). EKG, Styrian Goldings, First Gold or Bobek would be both more in style (for a British Dark).

I wasted some other American hops in a dark, and whilst the dark was fantastic, I don't think the hops contributed terribly to the quality. American Hops for APA, AIPA, AAA, and use the British hops for the British beers.

Good luck.

Goomba

Back