Coon, Die

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I've just subscribed to Foxtel and I notice that Hyundai sponsor some of the shows. In the announcements I was surprised to hear that Hyundai is now to be pronounced by us inferior round eyes as "Coon Die"

If you are old enough to remember, they started off in the early 80s as "Hi, undai" rhymes with "Sky"
Then it became "hyun day" rhymes with "Day"
Now it's "Coon die" rhymes with black people exterminate.

What's Korean for fecking wankers? :rolleyes: Almost makes me want to go out and buy a Deawoo, sorry is that a Die Woo or a Day oooooh? Not to worry they are Holdens now anyway.

<B>What's Korean for fecking wankers?</B>

Shibbal Tatari

On another note, It appears that the Chinese term for male masterbation is wudayi, which translates to 'five beating one'

I've just subscribed to Foxtel and I notice that Hyundai sponsor some of the shows. In the announcements I was surprised to hear that Hyundai is now to be pronounced by us inferior round eyes as "Coon Die"

If you are old enough to remember, they started off in the early 80s as "Hi, undai" rhymes with "Sky"
Then it became "hyun day" rhymes with "Day"
Now it's "Coon die" rhymes with black people exterminate.

What's Korean for fecking wankers? :rolleyes: Almost makes me want to go out and buy a Deawoo, sorry is that a Die Woo or a Day oooooh? Not to worry they are Holdens now anyway.

I just watched a Hyundai i45 ad on telly, there was no dying cheese in it :huh:

Yes, according to Wikipedia: Hyundai translates from the word "modernity", and is pronounced as "Hyon-dae" in Korean.
It's only this one announcer - I'll record it next time and have a really good listen, but he definitely says Koon die or Kundai or whatever with a distinct K.

It should be an almost fricative h sound. Not really used in English so pretty easy to stuff up.

Latest posts

Back