Cooling A Non-flooded Font.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an idea and it *should* work, but thought Id ask if anyone else has tried it before and if so, how were the results.

The picture should explain it, but my idea is to keep the lines cool on their way to the font by running glycol lines along side them wrapped in insulationI know this bit works, its the next bit Im more interested in.

Its a non-flooded font and I thought why not run glycol-filled lines through it to keep it cool?

Sure, it wouldnt be super-cold, but Im hoping this will reduce warming of the beer when sitting in the lines inside the font?

Picture:
chilling_font.JPG

PZ.

Can't see why that wouldn't work. And once the glycol had been pumping through for a while I would imagine it would probably keep the whole font pretty darn cold. Its only one small step off a true flooded font. Are you going to be able to get the glycol line up into the font and back out again though? I am guessing you've probably already looked into all that if you have come this far!

Yeah, I'll be able to fit it if I use metal bends at the "ends" of the font and use crimp-on clamps like Oetiker or similar :)

PZ.

You need to make sure that there are no kinks in the beer lines or the glycol lins or you'll end up stuffing the pump or having no beer come out the lines. If you have ever put new lines in a font you'll know just how tight it is just with the beer lines in there, let alone some thick glycol lines.

Gota Agree with Muga....

Personally - sell the non flooded font on E-bay and put the money towards a flooded one.

Heaps Easier...

Go on...You Know you want to...

I too have considered flooding my font to some degree. I have an Andale 4 tap lucky 7 and there is barely room for the beer lines. My bar is on the verandah and the font heats up heaps up to the point I find myself drinking way too quick to try and get a refreshingly cold beverage. I like your idea however it will be hard to not kink the line inside the font. Let us know how you go.

I too have considered flooding my font to some degree. I have an Andale 4 tap lucky 7 and there is barely room for the beer lines. My bar is on the verandah and the font heats up heaps up to the point I find myself drinking way too quick to try and get a refreshingly cold beverage. I like your idea however it will be hard to not kink the line inside the font. Let us know how you go.

I dont think you are aware mate but those original posts were from 2006

Cheers

old one yes...... but i will put in my 2c

I have a flooded font and don't cool it. I installed mag drive cold water pumps, 25L cooling tanks, piping, switch on the side ofthe freezer to turn the pump on and off...... was a cool setup.

But when i ran it, the font frosted up as was my want....... but the poor freezer compressor ran NON STOP to try and keep up with the huge metal heat exchanger.

I very quickly turned off the pump and never used it again. After 12 months of never being turned on, i removed it all.

I recently bought a 4 tap font that was flooded. I pulled out all the flooding suff and put it up on the shelf.

I just keep an old mug on the kegorator and pull about 2 seconds worth off before pouring a glass...... works fine. I lose about half a dozen glasses over a 50l keg. I find in winter.... i only need to do this on first glass and then its fine.

cheers

The Perlick flow control taps are handy for this. I turn the flow down to almost nothing and pour for for a few seconds until the tap is nice and cold and then crank it. Works a treat .

Ha, very observant of me. That's what you get doing a bit of research after a 14 hour night shift. Might have to trade up to a flooded font soon.

Latest posts

Back