Converting My Westinghouse Rp241t To Keg Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayl

Reaction score
Recently bought a Westinghouse RP241T fridge and wanted to make it into a Keg Fridge
Now i need to drill a hole either in the side wall or back wall to feed the gas pipe to the keg.

Where is the best spot to drill to miss the refrigeration pipes and electrical wiring??
Any suggestions from the boys, berring brewing and need to convert the fridge this weekend :D

I would imagine that the condenser plate would be in the rear wall behind the fan, so would avoid this area.

I am however, guessing, so don't take it as gospel.

Easiest way would be to drill a tiny pilot hole in the outer shell of the fridge and use a piece of wire to probe around for any cooling pipes etc inside...

Otherwise, the best spot would be the compressor hump - if you can get a clear look from under the fridge there is generally no wiring or pipes in this area, so would probably be the safest option!

Cheers

Congrats on your first post kayl and welcome to AHB :icon_cheers:

I remember a few years back asking a similiar question and posting the model and make of my fridge/freezer as I was scared as buggery drilling through the side. I never got a good answer on that question but all worked out well. Here is a way to confidently drill for any model or make..

1. Open the door/s of the fridge or freezer so as it runs flat out for 15-30 minutes. (If it hasn't been used in a while then no need to open doors, just turn it on and wait 15-30 min.)
2. By this stage you can feel the warm spots or, more accurately, lines, on the outside of the fridge/freezer. These lines are where your refrigeration lines are. (They should be quite obvious.)
3. Follow NickB's advice above. This makes things really safe. A 3mm drill bit and bent coathanger wire to "feel" around will do the job for you.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Cheers,
PP

Edit: Missed the drilling through the 'back' of the fridge part of your question. In that case then place extra emphasis on Nick's advice!

Check You Tube on building a kegerator, I think they show to make up a paste of cornflour and water and brush on the fridge, it then shows where the coils are..

if you remove the light/temp control assy you can usually see if there are any pipe's in that area[to bring gas line in under light assy]or even remove the fan assy and see if you can come in from the back.
be careful of drilling even a small hole in from the outside even when you think you know were pipes are, even 1mm offline can be costly[don't ask how I know :( ]plus I've been told a lot of modern units are using a pressed alumin type plate that has chanels through it like the older freezer compartments, instead of pipes,making it a lot harder to find without visual sighting
Russ

All of the above won't steer you wrong.

I spent last night upgrading to my new kegerator. My fridge is obviously different to yours but I put the gas pipe inlet on the side all the way to the back and to the bottom. I had planed to come up thru the bottom but when I removed the bottom cover plate the was a mass of wires, pipes and stuff. So decided that I couldn't get the drill in there cleanly without touching something so decided to come in from the side as I could see where all the stuff was going with the cover plate removed. So if you can and feel confident the turn off the fridge and unplug (obviously I know) tip it on its side and have a look see to where everything maybe orientated would be my suggestion. You may void your warrantee thou by removing the cover plate so check first also should be done by approved repairer I think? But my fridge is 10yrs old and I break most if not all rules :p .

2c

Chappo

On my fridge I went the side for the gas in hole. Drilled from inside, just thru the plastic then pocked through with some wire to make sure no wires/coolant lines were in the way.

One thing I wish I did was put it as high as possible so when you jam the maximum number of kegs into the fridge, you wont have a clash with a gas in pipe with the kegs.

Plenty of great pics and posts on fridge conversion through the search engine also...

A quick search located these that may be of some use...

link

keggin setups

There are also a few really good 'how to' fridge conversions... cant locate mine on the search engine at the moment though!

Thanxs for those replys guys thats a lot of help

I would imagine that the condenser plate would be in the rear wall behind the fan, so would avoid this area. I am however, guessing, so don't take it as gospel. Easiest way would be to drill a tiny pilot hole in the outer shell of the fridge and use a piece of wire to probe around for any cooling pipes etc inside... Otherwise, the best spot would be the compressor hump - if you can get a clear look from under the fridge there is generally no wiring or pipes in this area, so would probably be the safest option! Cheers

I had a look there is a plug in the bottom of the fridge, could remove that and run the pipes though that, thanxs.

Congrats on your first post kayl and welcome to AHB :icon_cheers: I remember a few years back asking a similiar question and posting the model and make of my fridge/freezer as I was scared as buggery drilling through the side. I never got a good answer on that question but all worked out well. Here is a way to confidently drill for any model or make.. 1. Open the door/s of the fridge or freezer so as it runs flat out for 15-30 minutes. (If it hasn't been used in a while then no need to open doors, just turn it on and wait 15-30 min.) 2. By this stage you can feel the warm spots or, more accurately, lines, on the outside of the fridge/freezer. These lines are where your refrigeration lines are. (They should be quite obvious.) 3. Follow NickB's advice above. This makes things really safe. A 3mm drill bit and bent coathanger wire to "feel" around will do the job for you. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Cheers, PP Edit: Missed the drilling through the 'back' of the fridge part of your question. In that case then place extra emphasis on Nick's advice!

thanxs PistolPatch, had to start my first post with some pics of the brew setup ;)
I will start the fridge tomorrow for the first time and see where frost forms, thats is a really good idea.

Check You Tube on building a kegerator, I think they show to make up a paste of cornflour and water and brush on the fridge, it then shows where the coils are..

clean brewer had a read over the instructions that came with my setup and that information wasnt there. So where I brush that paste, when it cools will show the area where the cooling pipes are?
Do you have the recipe to make this paste??

if you remove the light/temp control assy you can usually see if there are any pipe's in that area[to bring gas line in under light assy]or even remove the fan assy and see if you can come in from the back. be careful of drilling even a small hole in from the outside even when you think you know were pipes are, even 1mm offline can be costly[don't ask how I know :( ]plus I've been told a lot of modern units are using a pressed alumin type plate that has chanels through it like the older freezer compartments, instead of pipes,making it a lot harder to find without visual sighting Russ

thanxs ZABOND, that sounds like a good option will take that into consideration

Those links will come in good use raven19, thanxs

Before I drill the fridge, is it ok to just put the gas bottle inside the fridge. Will the cold temps effect the gas pressure, will I get condensation inside the regulator??
Ideally if I dont have to drill any holes I can still hold my warranty on the new fridge

Its ok to have in the fridge but not ok to have laying on its side. When it is full you will get liquid co2 coming out not gas

Mind you when I say full they are not actually full of liquid co2 (for safety purposes) you might be ok if you prop up the regulator end of the bottle, looks like you have some room down there.

clean brewer had a read over the instructions that came with my setup and that information wasnt there. So where I brush that paste, when it cools will show the area where the cooling pipes are?
Do you have the recipe to make this paste??

Go to the site "YOU TUBE" and search "building a kegerator", you should find it there, the guy is actually putting a font on top of his fridge and shows you what to do/how to make the paste... Id search, but to busy ATM..

Mind you when I say full they are not actually full of liquid co2 (for safety purposes) you might be ok if you prop up the regulator end of the bottle, looks like you have some room down there.

good point there Offline, in the end i tried to remove the drain plug above the compressor but failed. so i just drilled it big enough to pass the gas line though it

Go to the site "YOU TUBE" and search "building a kegerator", you should find it there, the guy is actually putting a font on top of his fridge and shows you what to do/how to make the paste... Id search, but to busy ATM..

did a quick search on you tube and found quiet a few interesting vids on making kegerator's, wish i had looked there before buying a fridge, would have know what model to look for.
The tap in the top of the roof looks really professional. For now im using the gun but at a later date that might be a mod for my fridge.

I Installed the rubber grommets each side of the pipse after these pics. Worked out quiet well in the need. Now i just need to install a wooden board in the bottom to support the kegs.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a really good fridge. I have the same one. Works a treat and i can fit 3 kegs in easy (made a shelf to support them obviously).

Drilling holes in the door is easy also but like you I was worried about drilling holes in a new fridge but no dramas. Like raven said just make a hole in the outer skin and check if there is anything in the way first.

Wow my first post and it only took like 6 months (i spend so much time on here reading the good info it hurts!!!)

Geez no thanx Chappo? :ph34r:

sorry Chappo, so much good advice from everyone :icon_cheers:

:lol:
How much was that fridge that are asking these questions about?? Looks alright..

It was $500, was the only one i could see at the Good Guys and Rick Heart that could fit kegs.

That is a really good fridge. I have the same one. Works a treat and i can fit 3 kegs in easy (made a shelf to support them obviously).
Drilling holes in the door is easy also but like you I was worried about drilling holes in a new fridge but no dramas. Like raven said just make a hole in the outer skin and check if there is anything in the way first. Wow my first post and it only took like 6 months (i spend so much time on here reading the good info it hurts!!!)

Your fridge might be slightly bigger as i dont think i could fit 3 kegs :(

Good work Kayl, that fridge doesn't sound cheap but to me it looks just about perfect for a two keg setup. Have a bit of room for some bottles is good too.
I think your gas bottle will work along the bottom there, preferably prop up the tap end as suggested if possible. The 'liquid' co2 will vapourise pretty much as soon as it hits the reg anyway so I doubt you'd have any problems given the very slow flow rate used for dispensing kegs. I'm using a fire extinguisher for CO2 at the moment and still have the dip tube in - in other words my co2 is always drawn from the liquid portion of the cylinder. I haven't had any problems yet and the only time the reg gets really cold and condenses on the outside is when the gas flow is high, eg force carbonating. I could always mount it upside down and bolt it to a wall or something (to prevent it becoming a rocket if the top busted or something) but I think I'll keep using it as-is and have the dip tube removed when I need it refilled.

Back