Converting Coopers Stout + Coopers Dark Toucan Into All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
Hello,

In the past I have made the following using kits:

1.7kg Coopers Stout Can
1.7kg Coopers Dark Can
1.5kg Amber Liquid Malt

Steeped Grains:

100g Choc Chit
250g Dark Crystal Grain

(Aroma Dry Hop Addition)

Made to 20L

I would like to know a basic conversion of this recipe in All Grain (or atleast partial brew)
I have not done an AG brew yet and will probably reduce the batch to 5L for my first trial. I know a lot of people will say it is silly to do such a small batch but I would prefer to start off small and already have a large supply of beer to get through. I want to brew more often for experimentation sake and be able to keep up with my supply.

Firstly which grains to replace (buying from craftbrewer) and how much?

Thanks Heaps.

Beer007

Converting a kits & bits recipe to AG is kinda backwards, and difficult - not knowing the original grains that went into making the goop cans.

How about finding a reputed dark AG recipe in the database and making that?

Converting a kits & bits recipe to AG is kinda backwards, and difficult - not knowing the original grains that went into making the goop cans.

How about finding a reputed dark AG recipe in the database and making that?

I guess what I meant wasn't so much converting but rather achieving something similar to this.

What hops?

Well I know coopers use POR but I was thinking of something with a slight berry flavour/ aroma characteristics - but not over the top, something which melds well with the coffee & roasted flavours. Maybe Pacific Gem (Never use this hop before).

My last stout had a touch of Nelson for aroma and that worked really well.

Back