Converting A Keg To A Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm the proud owner of a 50L keg, and I'd like to convert it to a kettle. I'd appreciate any advice/hints form people who have been through this process, such as:-

How far up from the bottom of the keg (or at least where the base joins the side) should I drill the tap hole. Presumably that would be a 1/2 inch hole if I want to weld in a fitting.

How do I open up the top?! Just drill a big hole then grind it away?

Cheers,

Jon

Hey Jon

To save me hammering on and you getting bored try the search function for the subject. It comes up monthly and there's literally pages of info on how to do it. You'll become an expert in minutes. :)

Warren -

Depending on what type of keg it is and whether it's empty or not. If it's a CUB keg push the stainless steel ball valve down with a screwdriver to release any pressure inside the keg. Then it's a simple mater of getting a good cutting blade and a steady hand and start grinding. If your using a plasma cutter or don't want to make too much noise cut a small hole in the top and fill with water.

As far as the tap goes you can put it anywhere you like. I've got two and One is on the bottom in the middle with a right angle tube coming out to a ball valve and the other I have is tapped about 10mm above the bottom on the side of the keg. Remember the closest it is too the bottom the less wort you will lose to dead space but you pick up all the unwanted sediment as well.

Try to weld you taps in if you have a TIG welder if not there should be some weldless fittings out there. Also remember your drilling into stainless steel so a pedestal drill with tungsten drill bits. Remember to start small and work you way up. Stainless steel is tough and hard to drill.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back