• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Converted (legal) Keg Hlt/kettle For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I have an old barrel keg for sale, top chopped out, ball valve fitted and stylish handles free of charge. Could be used as a kettle or a HLT, I've always used it as a hot liquor tank as the inside is a little difficult to clean. It looks ugly but is pretty damned solid.

I bought it second hand for $50 and am asking the same price for it now. PM or post here if interested.

Click to embiggen:

I will buy it - add to the BBC Communal AG Equipment for members use.

PM me and let me know...
Before u move to Perth - is there anything else u need to get rid of.

Ken...

They're definitely man-sized handles on that thing... :D

Seriously - as I've never acquired a keg one way or another - how would one go about proving a keg's legality?

Imagine the breweries decided to clamp down on keg theft and engaged the boys in blue (or some other colour - you choose). When they walk into your house and find your three-vessel beer machine complete with a set of spare kegs, what do you do apart from tell them it belongs to your son? :D

Id like to know how most of the people on here aquired their keg like boilers for the setup...If anyone wants to give me any tips, feel free to send us a pm. I need to get 2 to start me off in AG :(

I say legal because it's more of an antique than anything. It's the newer ones with CUB etc stamped on the side that are probably more of a worry.

Ken, I'll send you a PM later tonight to coordinate, and have a poke around the brewery too to see if anything else needs to go.

i have one exactly the same Kai. Although mine cost more <_<

dunno if i should sell it or use the spare burner and do double double batches :unsure:

Id like to know how most of the people on here aquired their keg like boilers for the setup...If anyone wants to give me any tips, feel free to send us a pm. I need to get 2 to start me off in AG :(
I've got a couple of kegs, 1 was found on the street one Sat. morning. the other was donated to me,
Didnt' ask questions :beer:

Dave

PS. check local metal recyclers, they turn up semi-regularly

i have one exactly the same Kai. Although mine cost more <_<

dunno if i should sell it or use the spare burner and do double double batches :unsure:

I have an old 10 gallon & 18 gallon keg. Was thinking about using one or the other for a kettle. Because of the thickness off the steel, do you find it takes a long time to get it to boil? I currently use a 3 ring burner on a stainless boiler with thinner gauge steel and find it takes a while.

BYB

Yeasty

A legal way to get started if you're willing to spend a couple of dollars is to buy yourself an aluminium pot. 50 Litres can be had for around $100 (or even less) and it's yours without fear of recrimination. ;)

Don't let the aluminium nay-sayers talk you out of it. I've been using one for a couple of years now and totally love it. Particularly when lifting it off the burner to clean it. No knackered back. :)

Warren -

The keg Kai had and pretty much any one that looks like that, is pretty likely to be an out of service keg. The oval shaped kegs dont work so well with modern kegging plants, are harder to store, stack and pick up with forklift attachments. They were phased out a fair while ago. The big 18 gallon kegs were phased out due to OHS concerns with delivery drivers having to lug them around. Or it might be a cask rather than a keg, if it has a hole in the side, thats what it is.

You can pick those sorts of kegs up legally without too much trouble, not that they are all that cheap compared to a brand new aluminium pot. However, that chances of you finding a "current" style sanke keg that is both legal and that costs you under $100.00 is pretty damn slim. If its got a currently trading breweries name on it, then its almost certainly NOT leagal. Those things cost around $120.00 to replace and thats when you buy them 20000 at a time. If yours cost $50 then somebody somewhere got ripped off.

I know from a Fosters/CUB perspective at least, that if you dont have a letter stating that you are allowed to have the keg (it'll have the keg number written in the letter) then you aren't. Doesn't matter if you bought it off some guy who said it was leagal, pulled it out of the river or found it out in a paddock somewhere. No letter, it still belongs to the brewery. If you found it at a scrap metal dealers, then he's not supposed to have it either. When fosters scraps its damaged kegs (makes me cry inside everytime) they send them to a scrap yard on condition that they are actually scrapped and not re-sold in any recognisable form. That way they know that if you have one... then you shouldn't

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not going all preachy on the having a sly keg as your kettle thing. Just dont kid yourself that its all nice and legit. It might be.... but it probably isn't.

Quite often an older keg that has seen quite a lot of use will develop small rust spots. The breweries will then either throw them out or send them to the scrap-metal yards. If the rust spot is on the top of the keg - the area which you will be cutting off at any rate, then one breweries trash is a homebrewers trreasure! Talk to your nearest macro or scrap-metal yard, you might be able to get one of these cheap...

EDIT: Just read Thirsty Boys post regarding the letter from the brewery - didn't know that! Luckily for me I cut the two I got into pieces and welded them together to make a 75 litre pot, so any identifiable marks are gone for good. The other keg I have I got from a pub that imported the kegs from overseas. Turns out it was cheaper for them to cut their losses on the deposit than send the empty back to the brewery. It's not exactly legal, but I doubt that the brewery in Bum-bunt, Grossenfjord will bother chasing me down, either.

Ah well, if it disturbs anyone then just read the topic title as "more legal than one from the back of the pub".

Ah well, if it disturbs anyone then just read the topic title as "more legal than one from the back of the pub".

Hang on a sec there, Kai... are you actually trying to discourage another eight page slinging match about the legality of keg-boilers? For shame... :huh:

Hang on a sec there, Kai... are you actually trying to discourage another eight page slinging match about the legality of keg-boilers? For shame... :huh:

awwww, where's the fun in that?

I bought my kettle fair and square - it is an aluminium pot from a shop in Smith St and of no interest to the breweries.

All my other kit I shoplifted from various home brew shops... :D

kai i saw someone said you were moving to perth? Trying to get rid of any of those long necks in the background before you go? If so PM me a price! :D

Latest posts

Back