Controlling a Brown Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the dimmer I use. Works fine. You will need one if you want to control the flow. If you run the pump at full speed it's way too fast for my system

Iv'e burnt out a couple of them from my own stupidity but for $3.68 wasn't too worried.

As to clamping the outflow, my understanding is it's not good for the pump (unlike a march pump) Others will have to comment on this as no idea why.

I have a brown pump that circulates the water in my HLT so that I don't get strafication. It has a SS 1/2 inch ball valve on the discharge side of the pump which is what I use to control the flow. Has been working perfectly for over two years.

david72 said:
Thats the dimmer I use. Works fine. You will need one if you want to control the flow. If you run the pump at full speed it's way too fast for my system

Iv'e burnt out a couple of them from my own stupidity but for $3.68 wasn't too worried.

As to clamping the outflow, my understanding is it's not good for the pump (unlike a march pump) Others will have to comment on this as no idea why.
March pump is magnetically driven. If you stop the outlet, the motor magnet still spins happily, while the magnet on the pump housing side stays still.
With the brown pump, it is on an axle (spindle? axis? whatever) so if you stop the flow it continues to push against pressure causing friction, negative pressure etc etc. Its the same as flooring the accelerator in your car while your flooring the break at the same time.

I've got one of the dimmers in your first post. It's not too bad, but doesn't really control the flow like I thought it would. it's either fully on or a trickle. I no longer use it

Latest posts

Back