Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progressing Draconianism.
Not that I care a lot for twittering civil servants but they are going to start hangings of civil servants for using emoticons. :eek:
Its inappropriate for you to like or dislike. You will be chastised, or sacked, or sued even....:eek:
I mean honestly. To think that you could get yourself sacked because you like a comment that your hierarchy doesn't. :rolleyes:
The realization that free speech is dead.

Oops! I should not have posted that! :eek:

Last edited:
McDonalds ad in the UK. The infamous "dead dad" ad.
Really wonderful how this company supports and comforts bereaved kids.

Braided ******* flexi hoses...

The hot water hose in our ensuite vanity burst last night while we were all down the other end of the house.
Half the bedroom floor flooded, seeped through into the spare bedroom and along the corridor, and that was only in about 15 minutes.

We now have a variety of contents and chests of drawers and bedside tables all over the place and 6 tropical cyclone class fans running full bore.

A $10 component...$1000s worth of damage.

Just lucky we were home. Loss assessor reckons he's assessed 6 of these this week.

Braided ******* flexi hoses...

The hot water hose in our ensuite vanity burst last night while we were all down the other end of the house.
Half the bedroom floor flooded, seeped through into the spare bedroom and along the corridor, and that was only in about 15 minutes.

We now have a variety of contents and chests of drawers and bedside tables all over the place and 6 tropical cyclone class fans running full bore.

A $10 component...$1000s worth of damage.

Just lucky we were home. Loss assessor reckons he's assessed 6 of these this week.
That is bad. What brand? Just want to check its not the ones I've got. That's total recall worthy.

That is bad. What brand? Just want to check its not the ones I've got. That's total recall worthy.
We've moved into temp accommodation for the night, no-one was resting in that joint. I can't quite remember the brand but i don't think it's brand specific. Check them for bulges, rust or any leaks. When i started googling this morning (well after the horse had bolted) there were heaps of links coming up with bad news stories.

I'm far from a crusader but it's worth a quick check. We're insured and youi (no affill) have been great so far, but it's disruptive to say the least and there are plenty of 'intangible' costs.

We've moved into temp accommodation for the night, no-one was resting in that joint. I can't quite remember the brand but i don't think it's brand specific. Check them for bulges, rust or any leaks. When i started googling this morning (well after the horse had bolted) there were heaps of links coming up with bad news stories.

I'm far from a crusader but it's worth a quick check. We're insured and youi (no affill) have been great so far, but it's disruptive to say the least and there are plenty of 'intangible' costs.

The general recommendation for braided hoses is that they are replaced every 5 years as a preventative maintenance excercise. I found this out after the same thing happened to me while I was at work. Hot water burst and was running for approx 12 hours before a neighbor rang me to let me know.

I have now tagged and dated every braided hose in the place.

We use to use Abey brand ezy hookers, though I've noticed they sell them at Bunnings now, so I dont know if standards have slipped. They're more expensive, but you know what they say.
The amount of sub par (dangerous) building materials floating around is a ******* scandal.

The general recommendation for braided hoses is that they are replaced every 5 years as a preventative maintenance excercise. I found this out after the same thing happened to me while I was at work. Hot water burst and was running for approx 12 hours before a neighbor rang me to let me know.

Replace with fixed metal pipe if that is possible same with the plastic pipes they started using and the rats ate.

If thats the case, thats insane. The plain old rubber brake lines - not to mention fancy braided ones - in your car last more or less last the life of the vehicle, have an operating range in the order of 500 - 1500 PSI and can cop cop well over 200 deg c. The maximum domestic water pressure is a paltry 72 psi and perhaps a max temp of 75 deg (unless you fiddle with the thermostat) plus the hoses under a sink operate in a far less hostile environment. In fairness, I'm not comparing apples to apples here, but obviously the materials and construction method for any fitting you need to swap out every five years are total shit. A tap washer is about the only thing in a domestic water system that should require freshening up now and then.
Abey, last time I looked, gave a ten year warranty on their flexible fittings.

If thats the case, thats insane. The plain old rubber brake lines - not to mention fancy braided ones - in your car last more or less last the life of the vehicle, have an operating range in the order of 500 - 1500 PSI and can cop cop well over 200 deg c. The maximum domestic water pressure is a paltry 72 psi and perhaps a max temp of 75 deg (unless you fiddle with the thermostat) plus the hoses under a sink operate in a far less hostile environment. In fairness, I'm not comparing apples to apples here, but obviously the materials and construction method for any fitting you need to swap out every five years are total shit. A tap washer is about the only thing in a domestic water system that should require freshening up now and then.
Abey, last time I looked, gave a ten year warranty on their flexible fittings.
I completely agree that it is a clusterfark...
The plumber that replaced all of mine, said that I would be a fool to trust the 10 year period advertised by the manufacturer. And for the sake of all the hoops that need to be jumped through with insurance, not to mention a month in a serviced apartment - I wasn't going to argue. It took 3 dehumidifiers and three blowers running 24 / 7 for 2 weeks before they could get stuck in to putting the place back together.
I am sure that all of this could be claimed on a manufacturer's warranty, but I also reckon there would be even more hoops to jump through than RACV insurance made me jump through. :(

Latest posts

Back