Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a gas lens helps too as it allows you to extend the tungsten a bit to get into corners while still allowing good gas shielding.

On my second apprenticeship now and understand how rare a useful Tafe teacher is.

shaunous said:
Imagine just cancelling the thing, it'd send people bankrupt overnight. But hey, its what Julie did with Cattle Live Trade.
any cancellation wouldnt be back dated.. it would be something like
'From January 1, negative gearing on property will only apply to new purchases that fit x, y, z criteria' (e.g. only new builds, or only the 1st property or can only claim losses from the property against the income earned from the property as opposed to offsetting earnings from other areas ie. wages)

any currently owned investment properties would continue to be able to claim whatever tax minimisation losses/claims they already currently claim with those tax laws being valid while ever that property is owned as an investment

Camo6 said:
Using a gas lens helps too as it allows you to extend the tungsten a bit to get into corners while still allowing good gas shielding.

On my second apprenticeship now and understand how rare a useful Tafe teacher is.
The old idiom, those who can, do: those who cant, teach seemed appropriate when I was at tech ans most of the teachers were from failed businesses or it appeared, to fat for plumbing.

Dave70 said:
The old idiom, those who can, do: those who cant, teach seemed appropriate when I was at tech ans most of the teachers were from failed businesses or it appeared, to fat for plumbing.
Spot on there. Got one teacher atm who's too lazy/immobile to get up to write on the whiteboard. We spend more time correcting him than he us. Pretty much teaching ourselves.

...those who can't teach, administrate.

I'd also throw in another old chestnut that commonly applies:
Pay peanuts. Get monkeys.

If you were good at your job, would you want to take a 50-75% pay cut to talk at a bunch of noobs? Obviously some people just love to teach, but the pay is an important factor in the quality of teachers as well.

So i'll throw in another rant topic:
The stunningly low valuation or prioritisation of education generally by the Australian population FOR ALL Australian people is embarrassing and depressing. Most people seem to either not give that much of a rat's, or if they do, just worry about their own or their kids' education.
It's OUR future, stupid!
I could bang on for several pages on how CRITICALLY it affects EVERY aspect of our society, but i'm really hoping it's not necessary.
What do you think will make the biggest difference to the future of your child: whether there's a fkn mosque down the road, or whether your child develops the options to be a entrepreneur, lawyer, doctor, engineer, or tradie instead of just being a labourer (no disrespect to labourers intended!)? But what gets people on the streets in a rally? The fkn mosque. Idiots!!! In itself, yet another great example of how important better education is.

Next rant:

Hearing Bill Shorten drone on makes me want to go punch a puppy.

Can the ALP seriously not find anyone better as a front man/woman?!?

Aside from being thoroughly uninspirational, he really just comes across as a union puppet. I believe in the need for strong unions. But the total control they have over 1 of our 2 major political parties is not good for our democracy/society.

My teachers make as much as they did as sub contractors and get their super contributions, leave etc. Three days a week with extended breaks, early knock offs and don't have to kneel on formwork all day. Pretty appealing once your body gets a bit tired. Still, doesn't hurt to take a bit of pride in your work.

Camo6 said:
The torches are equipped with ceramic hoods.
All operator error here - just a lot that could be saved with some quick, thorough explanations prior to donning the mask.

We had a great teacher visit for two sessions which shows they exist (although I think he still works in industry)

I'm amazed one of them has kept his job. There are a couple that know their stuff and teach well but we seem to have been lumped with the bad one. Oh well.

Camo6 said:
I'm amazed one of them has kept his job. There are a couple that know their stuff and teach well but we seem to have been lumped with the bad one. Oh well.
Was responding to Techno's post to clarify.

manticle said:
The torches are equipped with ceramic hoods.
All operator error here - just a lot that could be saved with some quick, thorough explanations prior to donning the mask.

We had a great teacher visit for two sessions which shows they exist (although I think he still works in industry)
Nothing worse when you're paying good money to learn. Texts and books and stuff is neat but I reckon I glean the most valuable knowledge just from chatting with teachers about their experience in their industry. FWIW I reckon 80% of good welding comes down to repeated practice. Of course that doesn't remove the importance of learning the right techniques from the start (wish I had).

And no matter how many beers you have had or how hot the day is, don't be tempted to run a few quick beads with your t shirt off. :blush:

Sitting on my back verandah ATM , it's a calm cool night and all I can hear is the same dog barking from one street over.
This large dog barks for a minimum of 1 hour each night,I kid you not. And has done for a good 6 years.
It's owners ARE as useless as the dog,they don't give a ****,and on the topic of not giving a ****...well the Port Lincoln City Council gets a guernsey as well,actually the Council is the team captain.
No number of complaints are acted upon in this case.
Hmm, 1080 perhaps..........

You are lucky got the Morons from hell across the road from me and they are home owners. 3 dogs outside 24/7 usually start barking 3.0AM and they do jack shit. Council hopeless better off calling RSPCA These dicks never exercise the dogs just let them run wild on a vacant plot. Got a Moron Son with Baseball Cap backwards and a Mazda with very loud exhaust which he loves to rev for 5 minutes before going to work at 06:45 every morning.

The only cure for these bitches would be a heatseeking missile. :angry2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWG4-4Y6Z60

So the Mad Monk spends $7000 of taxpayers money on wine in his last 2 months in the big chair....lucky the age of entitlement was over, ******* may have spent double. On a couple hundred thou a year and can't afford the specials at Dan's.

Tropical_Brews said:
You are lucky got the Morons from hell across the road from me and they are home owners. 3 dogs outside 24/7 usually start barking 3.0AM and they do jack shit. Council hopeless better off calling RSPCA These dicks never exercise the dogs just let them run wild on a vacant plot. Got a Moron Son with Baseball Cap backwards and a Mazda with very loud exhaust which he loves to rev for 5 minutes before going to work at 06:45 every morning.

The only cure for these bitches would be a heatseeking missile. :angry2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWG4-4Y6Z60
Don't get me ****n started on baking dogs and useless owners. Dozy bint next door has about 15 of the little bastards who bark and howl all day. As soon as she goes out it starts. Then when she's home we have to put up with oh my darlings... Oh my babies... Did ooo miss ums mummy when she was gone. **** me sideways. I would cheerfully poison them. The only thing that stops me is that I'm secretly looking forward to the day when I snap and go psychotic... Leap the fence and strangle the little bastards in front of her with my bare hands.

Words can not begin to express the depth of my hatred for those dogs. Council are useless. Many complaints zero fucks given.

Poison the dozy bint. Let the innocent doggies go free.

Hey, fwiw, many councils won't allow you to have that many dogs. Are you sure they've checked/know the number that are there?

A friend of mine used to have 5 dogs & the council (Darebin) required him to have signed consent forms from his neighbours.
Apologies if that story just rubs salt in the wound! [emoji57]

When I was in the Upper Hunter i had a mate who worked at the pound as a general dogs body, He used to "recycle" pig dogs thru the place. Amazing how many dogs went in there marked as x-breed :lol:

Mind you, he ended up with some very good pig dogs in the end

Back