Conical Plastic Fermenter Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Here is some info and pic's of my 100Lt conical fermenter to help anyone else wanting to do something similar.

Credit goes to this forum and its members as i did not come up with the idea or really innovate anything.

The fermenter is from Rota Moulding in WA Australia. I paid $312 delivered to Melbourne last year some time. This is not built as a feremnter, but as a container to hold liquids.
As such, i cut thread into the plastic to attach a few taps. I bought the taps(to cut the thread) on ebay from the UK which for some reason where FAR cheaper than anything in Aus.

The taps(liquid) are stainless 3 part taps from Beerbelly, as well as a 1/2 inch male to male thread.

The fridge is a huge Westinghouse freestyle (no freezer section) - internal size is 146cm tall, 50cm deep plus the door, and 60cm wide. I bought this via ebay, knowing i wanted to make this fermenter and as its so large it was semi rare to find and hence more expensive than a fridge freezer. The advantage is i dont need a cooling/heating jacket system.

The frame is box steel with right angle to slot into the fridge (i wanted to have the fridge usable if i ever removed the fermenter and its easy to take out to clean)

This huge fermenter needs a big brewery to fill, so i use a 120Lt brew pot.

To control the beast, i use a fridgemate from craftbrewer with the fridge to cool and i have some heat mats for warming (these where from a work throwout, however any heating source should work fine)

I think that covers it, if you have questions then just ask/post.
I am not a trades person so i am sure if you are, you can do a neater job. If your handy with tools, you can make this and the hardest part is knowing how to weld and a good penetrating weld to ensure 100Lt of beer falls.

If i was to do it again i might make the "arms" adjustable hight wise, but it works as is.

Credit to the post i used to copy was Asher in this thread

Edit: I will paint the frame white and make it look nice once I am sure its complete

fermenter.jpg

taps.jpg

fridge.jpg

Pot.jpg

wow, that is an amazing setup! How much do you normally fill to?

Wow, that's impressive Gout. How will the plastic fridge sides go supporting 100ish kilos when it's full?

cheers

grant

Mark, thats Asher the man that i understand came up with the idea - brilliant :)

Acasta, I have only brewed one so far, its about 75Lt..... long story short was it was ment to be 90Lt however some silly brewer let the HERMS hose fall out of the mash tun and made a mess...... pains me to think of it :)

Wow, that's impressive Gout. How will the plastic fridge sides go supporting 100ish kilos when it's full?

cheers

grant

To be honest i dont know, I have done a 105Lt water test over 3 weeks to see if it leaks or god forbid broke the welds or fridge sides and it looks fine. If there is a problem i will update everyone

How do you fill the fermenter. Probably a simple answer but I cant see.

Cheers Brad

I would imagine he pumps in from the bottom?

Top effort mate I am in the stage of 2 60lt plastic conicals if they fit,If you were worried about the weight just add some more brackets to share the load 100lts is f$%n heavy so it may be wise to add another in the middle.

You have inspired me I am looking at centric, I think they are from wa also.
SAVY

Top effort mate I am in the stage of 2 60lt plastic conicals if they fit,If you were worried about the weight just add some more brackets to share the load 100lts is f$%n heavy so it may be wise to add another in the middle.

You have inspired me I am looking at centric, I think they are from wa also.
SAVY

Cheers mate, i was going to have 3 arms, but have not got around to that point.

I am also going to weld a "guard" under the taps area so that when i remove it from the fridge i dont rest the fermenter on the tap and damage the thread in the plastic (my biggest worry is damaging the threaded hole)

Top work Gout! :beer:

How did you attach the taps? Did you drill a hole & use silicon washers & a nut on the inside?

Croz

I drilled a hole, tapped a thread then inserted a male to male thread, where the tap attaches to this.

I have not found a way to get my arms that far inside the fermenter to place a backing nut.... however i have been thinking of different ways to improve this.

Its almost the same method as the 30Lt beer fermenters

Looks impressive.

My first thought thought (as already mentioned) is that you have all that weight only supported at 2 point on each side. I'd be adding another arm each side, if not 2, makes no odds really.

i am considering placing a "rail" down the side of the fridge(top to bottom) with right angle in each slot or say atleast 5 per side attatched, this should spread the load more evenly and equal only 20Lt per slot/rib which was fine when brewing with a 30Lt fermenter

thanks for the feedback

Latest posts

Back