Confusion On A Light Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk

Reaction score
been trying to find which style / category i should put a beer i've been planning to brew.

was thinking of a mid strength apa style but there is no such thing and if by chance it tastes good and i went all silly and entered it a comp that followed bjcp guidelines i would be lost.

apa's are meant to be around the 4.5-6% lvl so its not fitting there. and the only 'light' beers are lagers, wheat, bitters and milds so it doesnt fit there??

i know i can brew what i like and call it what i like, but if i went to enter it, where the heck would it go??? :unsure:

cheers

I think you need to decide whether your brewing this for yourself or for a comp. If it's for you i say go for it but if it's for a comp then as you said you would be out of the style guidelines therefore a waste of time and effort. However if you wanted critique then enter it what are you gunna lose?

I think you need to decide whether your brewing this for yourself or for a comp. If it's for you i say go for it but if it's for a comp then as you said you would be out of the style guidelines therefore a waste of time and effort. However if you wanted critique then enter it what are you gunna lose?

cheers dude,

been looking a bit more and figured depending on what i do i guess i could always call it a blonde ale as they can be 3.8 or something.

better go find my thinking cap :)

Welcome to my world Bonk. That's the thing about comps and the guidelines. I've had an American in bottles for a week now and it's settled out crystal clear, getting a bit of a carb on so I've sampled a couple. It's like an angel dancing on my tongue and it probably the best beer I have ever made and I'll be making it again and again.

Problem is, although it's about 6% and has luscious smooth hops and a lovely malt finish from Carared and Crystal it sort of falls between two stools. It was intended to be an amber but doesn't quite make the colour, it's more like a LCPA in colour. By the same token if I enter it as a pale it's really a bit big on the malt and I know that, despite the hops being sensational, it's going up against guys at the club who make APAs with enough hops that could strip the paint off a Sherman Tank.

So, light amber? smooth pale? ^_^

Might just enter it as pale and hope it gets tasted before the varnish brews :icon_cheers:

I brew a light - mid strength APA along the lines of LC Rogers (3.0 - 3.5%)

Entered it into a comp as an AAA and it got scored down as its just too light in body.

Wont stop me brewing it or other lower abv beers :icon_drunk:

got a mild planned as well, was thinking of using a packet of wyeast 1469 i got a month back

1469 + mild = heaven. Mash hot, don't over hop, use good base malt, don't overdo the specs, think in terms of subtle layers of flavour instead of (dare I say it :ph34r: bold yankee style flavours with no subtlety or layering) and you'll be right. ;)

Latest posts

Back