Conditioning Methods When Using Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
hi, just want to compare other keggers methods to get rid of that kit twang or harsh bitterness.
tryin to fill a few kegs to get the stocks up with basic kits but i keep hitting the same prob with some.
when i used to brew kit&kilo, say a coopers lager and bottle it, in a months time it was reasonably smooth with no harshness.
when i keg, i normally ferment 2 weeks, cold condition 5 days then a further 4 days or so in carbed keg but that sharp bitterness is present in most brews even when using all malt instead of sugar just a little less . it does mellow out after about 2 weeks but only slightlyi have been told not to store full kegs for long periods but store @ below 5 degrees but there is only so much room in my fridges.
there is nothing wrong with my brewing technique- super clean sterile, us05 yeast temp control 18degs,etc,etc.
do other keggers condition for longer to overcome this? the only brand that doesn't lend itself to this sharp bitterness that i have tried is the mangrove jacks range, maybe its something to do with the iso hops used in coopers and morgans?
just trying to nut this out at base level, i do partials to hide this twang but there must be people doing k&k in kegs with better results.
does force carbing increase this bitterness?(very different to hop bitterness).

When you get that kit twang, I am not sure there is anything you can do about it. <flame suit on> I think it is a combination of the isohop and kit age. Maybe ask your LHBS which kit he sells the most of and try a few of those?

I'd be personally trying moving onto pure extract brewing using hop pellets, do this using no-chill and you wont need a lot more equipment. The improvement over straight kits should be noticeable immediately.

When you get that kit twang, I am not sure there is anything you can do about it. <flame suit on> I think it is a combination of the isohop and kit age. Maybe ask your LHBS which kit he sells the most of and try a few of those?

I'd be personally trying moving onto pure extract brewing using hop pellets, do this using no-chill and you wont need a lot more equipment. The improvement over straight kits should be noticeable immediately.
my last coops lager came from bigw and bb date on the can was 2013.
my main issue here is to get feedback from anyone that has found a fix. people drink from kegs after a week of cc, but the sharp bitterness hasn't mellowed by then. my lhb is not interested in asking anyone else and he doesn't keg.
i have made 2 extracts but the first 1 was too bitter (balance was out) and the second one will not clear up yet, i brew k&k with grain to build up the stocks while waiting for my better brews to condition. pure extract is way too expensive here as ingredients work out around $40 a brew, will go ag eventually when i can afford the gear. :icon_cheers:

Maybe you're over thinking things a bit? If you can't detect a kit twang when bottling, then your kegged should also be ok too, eventually. I've found some beer made with us56/05 can have a sharp taste unless cleared properly, and it does take time (or gelatine, and/or secondary) to clear. If you want to store beer in kegs long term and you don't have fridge space, just natural carb the keg instead of force carbing, and keep at room temp. Even though kegged force carbed beer is drinkable as soon as it's cold and fizzy, that doesn't mean it's at it's peak. I've always found that a few weeks in the fridge helps immensely...
my last coops lager came from bigw and bb date on the can was 2013.
my main issue here is to get feedback from anyone that has found a fix. people drink from kegs after a week of cc, but the sharp bitterness hasn't mellowed by then. my lhb is not interested in asking anyone else and he doesn't keg.
i have made 2 extracts but the first 1 was too bitter (balance was out) and the second one will not clear up yet, i brew k&k with grain to build up the stocks while waiting for my better brews to condition. pure extract is way too expensive here as ingredients work out around $40 a brew, will go ag eventually when i can afford the gear. :icon_cheers:
[/quote]

Thats the reason I stopped with kits. Crazy bitterness.
Tried a fresh wort kit - bitterness gone
Now I do extract brews, a few steeped grains and some hop pellets. Does cost a bit more ($35 a brew) but 2 weeks in fermenter, 4 days at 2*, 7 days at serving pressure in the keg and you're away.

Thats the reason I stopped with kits. Crazy bitterness.
Tried a fresh wort kit - bitterness gone
Now I do extract brews, a few steeped grains and some hop pellets. Does cost a bit more ($35 a brew) but 2 weeks in fermenter, 4 days at 2*, 7 days at serving pressure in the keg and you're away.
hey thanks , looks like you were experiencing the same thing.
i'm now convinced that only a very select few k&k's are suitable for kegging and drinking in a short time frame.
my 2nd extract is showing all the signs of a nice brew but bloody thing is too cloudy.
so do you get a better result through slow force carbing at serving pressure over a longer period?

hey thanks , looks like you were experiencing the same thing.
i'm now convinced that only a very select few k&k's are suitable for kegging and drinking in a short time frame.
my 2nd extract is showing all the signs of a nice brew but bloody thing is too cloudy.
so do you get a better result through slow force carbing at serving pressure over a longer period?

I've only done carbing at serving pressure, so can't comment on that but, 2 week beer tastes better than 1 week!

My brews are a bit cloudy, but you can't see anything in suspension more like a condensation on the class to look at. I havent done a beer that demands to be crystal clear yet anyway :)

I've only done carbing at serving pressure, so can't comment on that but, 2 week beer tastes better than 1 week!

My brews are a bit cloudy, but you can't see anything in suspension more like a condensation on the class to look at. I havent done a beer that demands to be crystal clear yet anyway :)

I been Brewing coopers pale ale and many other extract brands and what iv'e found with all of them is if I leave in the keg after carbonation for 5 weeks they come up pretty good, clear too. I know what u mean about the green bitter taste but try one after 5 weeks

Have you tried ageing the beer for a bit longer before serving? This may help to mellow out the off flavours you getting.

I been Brewing coopers pale ale and many other extract brands and what iv'e found with all of them is if I leave in the keg after carbonation for 5 weeks they come up pretty good, clear too. I know what u mean about the green bitter taste but try one after 5 weeks
thanks for the feedback guys, you've sortedmy probs .
how are you aging your beer in the kegs?
do you store in a fridge or room temp?
i have tried room temp but beer turns dark and starts to taste odd in the warmer months , was thinking of storing at around 10 degrees in a chest freezer.
my serving fridge only holds 3 kegs and my chest freezer the same so in hot weather with visitors thats only 2 or 3 weeks old before they are drunk :icon_drunk: :ph34r: it gets hot and thirsty up here :rolleyes:

Back