Condensation In Chest Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko72

Reaction score
Folks,

Recently moved from my fridge kegerator to a 510L chesty with collar.

All good....until condensation started appearing inside the unit.
Even after 2 hours at 12c ambient temp it appears and is starting to collect on the inside floor as small puddles!

I have read lots of posts about this and the responses seem to vary from:

a) It is expected to happen with chest freezers
B) Use damp rid / de-humidifier to fix it
c) It shouldn't happen must be a gap or leak somewhere

One of the posts suggested using a bright light inside the unit and in a dark room look for "the light".
I couldn't spot any light at all, indicating I have a little or no gaps.

Inside the unit I have installed a 120mm computer fan running off a 12V transformer.
The fan runs fast and is shifting lots of air (probably overkill)

My temperature probe is currently sat on the collar.
Of course the unit is cycling more (every 30 mins!) but the inside temp appears to be even enough.
Taps are nice and cold. Condensation still occurs...

I have tried also placing the probe in a jar of liquid and placing it on the compressor hump.
The unit cycles less as expected (every 1h 30).
Although the condensation is worse with this method.

I don't have any additional insulation on my collar. But I am planning to put some in to see if it helps.
My collar is 40mm thick, 2 layers of pine sealed with primer.
I have a seal underneath the collar and it is siliconed to the chesty frame.

Does anyone have a chesty and NOT experience condensation issues?

I would rather fix the problem than introduce moisture absorbing solutions if possible.

I have a F&P 215L chesty and i've siliconed the collar straight onto the freezer. An unbroken silicon line right around the top of the freezer, I then sat the collar on and sealed the join inside and out with silicon. I haven't put anything on the top as the freezer lid seal sits right on the timber all around. I haven't added a computer fan either, but its been running like this since March with no condensation at all yet.

The probe is sealed in a plastic bottle filled with water and set on the compressor hump (not sure if this makes any difference) The temperature sits between +/- 1 degree of the set temp (usually 4 degrees)

depending on what type of temp control unit you have, you will be able to set the compressor delay to 90min. which will help stop your compressor burning out.
as for condensation. i get it in mine and havent been abel to figure out why. i use damprid as a stop gap but its not perfect. mop and bucket is annoying but neccesary sometimes.

i assume your temp controller is outside of the collar and you run the temp probe lead into the chesty between the lid and the collar? that could create a less than airtight seal.

if you find a solution then id love to hear it.

i assume your temp controller is outside of the collar and you run the temp probe lead into the chesty between the lid and the collar? that could create a less than airtight seal.

Yes I have the probe coming through a small hole in the collar with silicon to seal it.

Aces High - Good to hear that is at least possible to obtain zero condensation!

I have silica gel bags inside the freezer now (600g total).
This should stop the condensation but I will continue my quest for no cold shower...

Latest posts

Back