Concerns Of Copper Wort Chiller Leaching Copper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etbandit

Reaction score
Been using my copper wort chiller for the last 3 years and every time it comes out of the wort it is BRIGHTER and CLEANER than when it first went in. Its obviously loosing its coating from the hot and low pH wort thats contacting it and my concern is that some copper is left behind in the wort.

The copper is "heavy" and would usually sediment or complex with other wort componets and settleout in the trub but is anyone else concerned about this?

I contemplating the use of a stainless chiller.

Hey etbandit,

It isn't a cause for concern infact some peoples kettles are made entirely of copper :blink:

phoca_thumb_l_11_copper.jpg

Rob.

also small amounts of copper are good for the yeast too! :)

You could give the copper chiller a clean with a suitable product immediately prior to use, I am sure there has been similar discussion on other threads iirc on this very topic.

Just give it a clean with some white vinegar after and before use. Rinse with water again before use. Acidic substances remove any corrosive products. Wort is acidic which is why it cleans your chiller so well.

Copper is only toxic in fairly large amounts.

if you are worried about the copper try dropping a 2c piece or an old penny into a glass of coke overnite,it turns out as shinny as the day it was made, so whats coke doing to your guts.
fergi

If you have copper plated guts they'd be shiny.

tdh

It isn't a cause for concern infact some peoples kettles are made entirely of copper :blink:
I can just see any mention of copper on this forum turning into something along the lines of "Don't mention the War" in Fawlty Towers, except it will be "Don't mention the Copper"

Acidic substances remove any corrosive products. Wort is acidic which is why it cleans your chiller so well.

Edit function timed out. I mean copper CORROSION products rather than corrosive products.

if you are worried about the copper try dropping a 2c piece or an old penny into a glass of coke overnite,it turns out as shinny as the day it was made, so whats coke doing to your guts.
fergi

Cleaning all the crap out - glass a day keeps the doctor away!

Been using my copper wort chiller for the last 3 years and every time it comes out of the wort it is BRIGHTER and CLEANER than when it first went in.
My chiller comes out filthy, covered in hop residue and break material. Have to clean it all off with steel wool. Are you making beer? Or am I doing something wrong?

this gets a mention on one of the brewstrong podcasts i think. according to john palmer it sounds like whatever goes into the wort gets consumed by the yeast any way. i cant remember if its that podcast or not but on one of them they have a bloke that has tested copper before and after ferment and it all seems to disapear. and when i use the chiller it definatly comes out bright and shiny with abit of crap only above the water line.

Just give it a clean with some white vinegar after and before use. Rinse with water again before use. Acidic substances remove any corrosive products. Wort is acidic which is why it cleans your chiller so well.

Copper is only toxic in fairly large amounts.

Yep thats th answer white vinigar is only $1.50 a 2 L bottle dilute 1 litre to 50 litres water the copper ill shine overnight

Been using my copper wort chiller for the last 3 years and every time it comes out of the wort it is BRIGHTER and CLEANER than when it first went in. Its obviously loosing its coating from the hot and low pH wort thats contacting it and my concern is that some copper is left behind in the wort.

The copper is "heavy" and would usually sediment or complex with other wort componets and settleout in the trub but is anyone else concerned about this?

I'd be more worried about poo in my hops (shipped flown smuggled in from China) than copper in my belly :icon_vomit:

Cheers

Paul

this gets a mention on one of the brewstrong podcasts i think. according to john palmer it sounds like whatever goes into the wort gets consumed by the yeast any way. i cant remember if its that podcast or not but on one of them they have a bloke that has tested copper before and after ferment and it all seems to disapear. and when i use the chiller it definatly comes out bright and shiny with abit of crap only above the water line.

Copper will react sulphide (H2S). Yeast create H2S. Winemakers use copper to get rid of sulphide. I cant see that some residual copper will be an issue. Might just get rid of H2S.

Finally a decent answer!!!!

As mentioned, copper is a yeast nutrient.

Edit: sorry randyrob also posted a good response.

QldKev

If you are concerned about it just go for the SS chiller. you wont be able to enjoy your beer if your worried it may be killing you.

untitled.JPG let this pic alleviate your fear of using copper in brewing

ps..would i be correct in saying a stainless immersion chiller would be a lot less efficient at heat removal than a copper unit? I remember seeing a guy on these forums had his copper chiller permannetly mounted in kettle,think it was tony??? do u think it is wise to do such a thing in an alluminium pot? corrosion??

fergi

I used to work in the place that makes the caramel colour they use in cola drinks. If you get it on your clothes it rots a hole in them!

They cook sugar and water at high temps with lots of amonia and hydrocloric acid and when the reactor does a gasket, a white mist runs through the factory and has to be evacuated pronto cause it will kill you with a lung full!

I DONT DRINK COKE ANY MORE!

I'd be more worried about poo in my hops (shipped flown smuggled in from China) than copper in my belly :icon_vomit:

Cheers

Paul

kind of :icon_offtopic: but :lol:

would i be correct in saying a stainless immersion chiller would be a lot less efficient at heat removal than a copper unit? I remember seeing a guy on these forums had his copper chiller permannetly mounted in kettle,think it was tony??? do u think it is wise to do such a thing in an alluminium pot? corrosion???

Yeah i have mine mounted in the kettle. It has been for years and has no corosion issues. I think the copper slightly tarnishes on the outside and this comes off in the boil. Noone have spat my beer out and gone........ ooooo taskes like licking rusty wire.... so i would say its all good.

Most spirits are distilled in copper.

I listened to a Dr Karl pod cast while i was working in PNG on night shift and he was talking about how beaten egg whites will form a better mix if beaten in copper. They say it helps form something or other that strengthens the cell walls of the tiny bubbles etc etc. I wonder if this works with beer foam?

cheers

Back