Concerned

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatrunners

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am a newbie so be gentle.

Just over 3 days ago I put down a double batch of Mexican Cerveza in the fermenter to go into my keg.
I used 2kgs of a dextrose/malt mix and filtered water to top up the fermenter but without a fridge
big enough to hold the fermenter and hot air temps I had trouble getting the temp of the brew down
and ended up casting the yeast with the brew temp sitting at 28 degree C.
I also added 12grms of Hersbrucker hops as well at this point.

Now because I am a bit stupid and didn't think of it, I did not take an SG reading right at the start of the
process and right from the very start I have had no activity what so ever at the air lock.
I just assumed I had a leak and because the brew was generating C02 it wasnt realy that much of a problem
unless it got an infection somehow.

After only two days the SG was down to 1.010 and the reading I have just taken 24 hrs later shows it sitting at 1.006
The brew smells good when you drain off a test sample but I still have no airlock activity either.
I am worried I might have a dead or dying patient on my hands.

Any thoughts.

Regards Peter :(

It's just finished fast. Bottle or keg it once it's stable. May not taste the best, but it won't kill you. :)
Temp control is important.

Hi, welcome to AHB :)

It sounds like your brew has fermented. It is a common fault that the lid won't seal properly and so the air lock doesn't bubble. Don't worry because as you have proven with your hydrometer readings, it has fermented. Read me for more airlock info.
When you want to bottle this, just make sure you have hydrometer readings that measure the same from 3 days in a row and you're ready to go :D

I am sure you will get a wealth of advice from more experienced brewers than myself too.

HC

Just to add to the good advice above, after transfering to the keg, I'd suggest letting it sit for a month to clean up some of those off flavours produced by those high temps. What yeast did you use? Kit yeast?

Just to add to the good advice above, after transfering to the keg, I'd suggest letting it sit for a month to clean up some of those off flavours produced by those high temps. What yeast did you use? Kit yeast?

I just used the yeast enclosed in the Kit.

I gave the brew a good stir then cast the yeast once the brew had stopped spinning.
After about 2 hrs of the temp sitting around 28c I strapped some ice packs to the
fermenter and managed to get the temp down to a constant 25c where it is still at now.

With the SG being so low already, would it be advisable to get it kegged by say Friday
if the SG remains constant and then get the keg into the fridge ? and should I put a
bit of C02 into the keg straight away once it is sealed or leave it for a few weeks
before adding any gas to it.

Thanks for the help so far.

Peter

first brew... a double... and kegging right of the bench... :eek:

the force is strong with you young one. Welcome to AHB mate...

Letting it sit till friday should be fine, try and keep that temp down till then. I would deffinatly purge the keg before filling it, so as to minimise oxidation/spoilage, and once it's full give it a few more shots of co2. Then play the waiting game. Have a sample maybe once a fortnight untill it's good.

Edit: Yes, welcome to AHB

Letting it sit till friday should be fine, try and keep that temp down till then. I would deffinatly purge the keg before filling it, so as to minimise oxidation/spoilage, and once it's full give it a few more shots of co2. Then play the waiting game. Have a sample maybe once a fortnight untill it's good.

Edit: Yes, welcome to AHB

Agreed. Kit yeasts tend to work hard it hot weather, but with the double hit of malt and dex, it will probably taste like this stuff.....

tennants.jpg

first brew... a double... and kegging right of the bench... :eek:

the force is strong with you young one. Welcome to AHB mate...

Many discussions were had with Yoda before proceeding.

I have actually brewed before but it was about 25 years ago, loved it, but the bottles
drove me mad. The only way I was ever going to do it again was in a Keg :)

So here we are..................................

Many discussions were had with Yoda before proceeding.

I have actually brewed before but it was about 25 years ago, loved it, but the bottles
drove me mad. The only way I was ever going to do it again was in a Keg :)

So here we are..................................

Thanks for all the help Guy's I will keep you informed on how it turns out

Cheers

Peter

Back