Concentrated Boils For Bigger Batches And Beersmith?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadjaja

Reaction score
I've got a shiny new mash tun thats basically double the size of my old one as I scored it cheap and I was sick of doing tiny batches of Belgians due to limited mash space.

Its occured to me I can do larger batches of my normal beers too LOL

I have a 40L urn and with my evaporation rate and watching for boil overs like a hawk at the start of the boil I could comfortably do 28-30L batches. What I'm looking into doing though is 40L batches using the 30L amount of boil concentrated and split into two fermenters diluting each with 5L of water post boil/cool.

Beersmith tells me to do this I need a boil with a gravity of 1.100 to get my SG of 1.075 for my doppelbock for eg.

I know to use the scale up feature to adjust my current recipes but how do I set the boil, adjust the hop amounts wich will be more etc?

I know a few of you use this technique, looking for pointers and tips please. Double batches being time poor is gold!

Cheers.. :icon_cheers:

I do 40L batches that are 30L after flameout with a 10L addition of boiling water.

I calculate as normal for a 40L batch and then change the volume to 30L.

Record down the OG, IBU etc and then knock the efficiency down 5%. Tweak all the numbers back to what they were.

The one other thing that needs to be taken into account is the IBU as the increase in OG reduces hop utilisation so you need to work out your IBU correctly to account for this and then the dilution back to total volume.

Its not perfect but i do it occasionally when punching out beer for mates and camping trips.

I've got a shiny new mash tun thats basically double the size of my old one as I scored it cheap and I was sick of doing tiny batches of Belgians due to limited mash space.

Its occured to me I can do larger batches of my normal beers too LOL

I have a 40L urn and with my evaporation rate and watching for boil overs like a hawk at the start of the boil I could comfortably do 28-30L batches. What I'm looking into doing though is 40L batches using the 30L amount of boil concentrated and split into two fermenters diluting each with 5L of water post boil/cool.

Beersmith tells me to do this I need a boil with a gravity of 1.100 to get my SG of 1.075 for my doppelbock for eg.

I know to use the scale up feature to adjust my current recipes but how do I set the boil, adjust the hop amounts wich will be more etc?

I know a few of you use this technique, looking for pointers and tips please. Double batches being time poor is gold!

Cheers.. :icon_cheers:
Its all in the equipment setup.

Basically plug in all your figures for the 40L urn then in the top up water dialogue box add your required post boil top up amount. In your case 10L. Save the equipment profile to something like 40L Urn (double batch)

Then put your recipe in as normal with batch size etc put in. Then use the scale tool and choose the button to change the equipment to the 40L Urn (double batch). Always lop 5% off for double batches/big grain bills.

This will adjust all your hop additions, grain bill etc to give you the same OG and IBU.

Basically plug in all your figures for the 40L urn then in the top up water dialogue box add your required post boil top up amount. In your case 10L. Save the equipment profile to something like 40L Urn (double batch)

Then put your recipe in as normal with batch size etc put in. Then use the scale tool and choose the button to change the equipment to the 40L Urn (double batch). I always lop 5% off the efficiency off for double batches/big grain bills.

This will adjust all your hop additions, grain bill etc to give you the same OG and IBU.

Sorry I always lop 5% off the efficiency

p.s. Proxy not letting me edit my post

Then put your recipe in as normal with batch size etc put in. Then use the scale tool and choose the button to change the equipment to the 40L Urn (double batch). Always lop 5% off for double batches/big grain bills.

:wacko:

I've been doing it the hard way for years!

:wacko:

I've been doing it the hard way for years!

:lol: haha... yeah once you know it's too easy...

here you go... just to prove it all works... i left it at 70% cause that's how my doubles work out

Recipe: Double Golden Ale Single Batch

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 28.39 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 14.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.40 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 56.47 %
0.80 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 18.82 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 18.82 %
0.25 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 5.88 %
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56))Yeast-Ale

Recipe: Double Golden Ale Double (...well 38L) Batch

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 38.00 L
Boil Size: 42.87 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 14.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.56 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 56.47 %
1.52 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 18.82 %
1.52 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 18.82 %
0.48 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 5.88 %
41.50 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
28.50 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
31.12 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
31.12 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.95 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56))Yeast-Ale

Cheers guys and thanks for the fast replies!

A lot clearer now....

But do I top up with simple tap water post boil as the high temp should make it safer or cool the wort and top up fermenters with cooled boiled water?

Cheers guys and thanks for the fast replies!

A lot clearer now....

But do I top up with simple tap water post boil as the high temp should make it safer or cool the wort and top up fermenters with cooled boiled water?

some people do just top up with water straight out of the tap and there's no problems... but if i've just spent 4 hours doing a batch i'm not going to risk adding un-sterilised/un-sanitised water to my batch of highly infectable wort. Just boil up your top up water and either add it to the fermenter prior to pitching (cooled of course) or add it to cubes prior to No chilling.

I'm just not a fan of using water straight out of the tap... you may be comfortable with it though.

Latest posts

Back