Concentrate From Iced Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loikar

Reaction score
Evening all.

I remember watching a podcast about freezing beer and then leaving the frozen block over a container to defrost into.
Essentially separating the....wort, I suppose...... from the ice, leaving you with what I can only assume as a flat a beer concentrate.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name they gave it but they did mention it was illegal in some places (mainly the US).

So a few Q's
What is the name of the liquid separated from the Ice?
Has anyone done this?
Is it tasty and is it worth it?

Cheers,

Fingers

Eis bock,

Myself and a few other have done before. If you have never tries one grab a bottle of Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock :beerbang:

Eis bock,

Myself and a few other have done before. If you have never tries one grab a bottle of Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock :beerbang:

I'll put that on the shopping list.

I imagine the flavour would be full on?
More of a Wine than a beer?

It is an acquired taste.
The eisbock's I had brought back by a friend from Germany were universally revolting.
It is the only style of beer I have tasted that I do not like at all.
Its like a beer liquer (why the hell cant I spell Lick You Are!)
Imagine making a 1100SG wort, then throwing in a shot of Vodka.

Everything becomes concentrated, alcohol, malt and bitterness. keep thatin mind. you dont want todo it with a 60IBU~ beer as it may get the flavour profile of a 100IBU beer. Which is why its commonly done with low-ish hopped, quite malty beers e.g. Bock. Was quite good when i accidentally froze my Smoked Maple Brown ale, that was 40 IBU and was very barleywine like. I would have preferred it if it was say 20-30IBU, balance would have been great.

OK, that's enough to spark my inqusitiveness.

I'll take a 6pack of my "Canoe Sex Ale" and freeze it in some tuppaware and then defrost it into another container.
See how we end up!

Cheers,

BF

forgot to say that when I accidently did this, i could remove a large block of ice leaving the alcohol / flavour enhanced beer behind.

I froze my kegs recently and had the same effect. I thought my beer was infected.

Something tells me that eisbock isn't the sort of beer I would drink.

Got it wedged into a smaller container now...defrosting

Just remember final alc % is a product of the freezing temp and not the starting beer. The table below will give you an idea of the strength youll end up with. If you can measure the temp of you freezer then you can get an estimate of the final %.

freezing_temp.jpg

Just remember final alc % is a product of the freezing temp and not the starting beer. The table below will give you an idea of the strength youll end up with. If you can measure the temp of you freezer then you can get an estimate of the final %.

Does this account for alcohol loss thats frozen inside the brick of ice? or are we assuming it all drops to the bottom as it freezes?

I'd prefer to take a hydro and refrac sample and calculate the 'new' starting OG and FG form it. like you would if you watned to measure a bottled commercial beer.

FYI,

Drank 2 mouthfuls. :icon_vomit: tipped the rest....

Experiment over

Latest posts

Back