Computer Grown Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Found this idea while looking at a little unit on Jaycar costing around $40. I wonder if you could grow a little hop plant that would create flowers?? Would make a pretty good long weekend project

Linky

What does everyone think??

Cheers,

JJ

It would be a cool way to get them started before moving outside to the garden.

One problem - you're really wanting to get a minimum of 32,000 lux on your growing surface. Basically, if you're growing in something the size of an empty beer carton you're going to need at least 2 large compact fluorescents...essentially the whole top of the box will be taken up with them if it's standing on end. Personally I can't see the LED's working too well, unless you've got a whole lot of them.

Cheers - boingk

One of the comments unde the movie suggested the torch LEDs weren't the best wavelength for
growing plants, so you might be better going down to your local hydroppnics shop and getting some LED grow lights.
Also, if you don't usually have your computer going all the time, its a terribly wasteful way of running some LEDs!

I was watching info mercials on foxtel the other day and cam across this beast. Not Computer Grown but Kitchen Grown :

http://www.aerogrow.com/

First thing i thought of was hops...well maybe second thing ;) but anyway it looks the goods.

I was watching info mercials on foxtel the other day and cam across this beast. Not Computer Grown but Kitchen Grown :

First thing i thought of was hops...well maybe second thing ;) but anyway it looks the goods.

:lol: Saw them too Fents... Like most of those things they'll wind up in the hard rubbish collection with the John Abdo "ab blaster" machine or similar up the track.

Agreed though. I can see a lot of small scale choof fanciers taking to them. B)

Basil is overrated anyways.

Warren -

I agree with Warren. These will be junked in no time by sucked in owners.
I have all the herbs I need growing in the dirt out back and they are the easiest things to grow.
As for the little tomatoes they show in their adds, I know of all the varieties that grow on small plants and give little fruit and they are all tasteless balls of nothing.
Rant over

I was thinking more about propagating out of them, not really growinh full blown hops as such.

I was thinking more about propagating out of them, not really growinh full blown hops as such.

Propagating only requires the right medium and heat, ie, tomatoes dont need bottom heat to germinate but peppers do. After that, a small hot frame in milder climates would do until the weather and soil is warm enough to plant out.
I dont know jack about growing hops but ;)

Apparently there were a few locals out this way that were quite handy with growing things "indoors" and under lights.

Now they've lost 7-8 houses over it!! heheh

Definately going to be a " HOP shortage " in Campbelltown. :lol:

Latest posts

Back