Competitions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayahhdee

Reaction score
I have recently made a succesful entry in to AG brewing (with BIAB).

After reading around there seems to be lots of people that advocate getting in to brewing comps to improve your brews, I just don't know where to start.

I'm not a member of a Home Brew Club, I may join one in the future but at the moment it isn't an optino due to work.

Where do I start with comps? Is there a list of comps for new amateur brewers anywhere?

Thanks,
Josh

G'day Josh, and welcome to the AG family...

You've kind of hit at the wrong time for competitions - all of the club competitions are done and dusted for the year, with the National competition happening in a couple of weeks. The next one in Melbourne is Melbourne Brewer's BeerFest in February.

Competitions are certainly a brilliant way to get some great, objective feedback about your beers. Not all of the score sheets you'll get back will be equally informative, but there are usually some gems of wisdom that come back that can make a real difference to your brewing.

That said, there are still plenty of avenues for similar feedback through clubs, and Melbourne is blessed with several brilliant ones. I'm with Melbourne Brewers, and we meet out in Ferntree Gully. There are also Bayside Brewers down the Penninsula, WestGate out Yarraville way, Worthogs around the north, Yarra Valley brewers out towards Warburton, and Inner Circle Brewers around the CBD.

If you're interested in our club, jump onto our website (here to get details of the next club meeting (last Wednesday of every month).

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome at any of the clubs in Melbourne. They will often run in-club tastings where you can get plenty of feedback on your beer, and get a chance to sample other's concoctions and hear about and share experiences.

Hopefully we'll see you and your beers at one of the clubs and/or competitions !

May your brews be good brews!

Andy

Thanks for the responses guys, when work eases up I will endevore to get to a club night somewhere.
I'm kinda stuck in between all the clubs distance wise which is a little annoying, wish there was an inner eastern suburbs club.

I'm kinda stuck in between all the clubs distance wise which is a little annoying, wish there was an inner eastern suburbs club.

Which is why those of us* in abbotsford, richmond, brunswick, fitzroy carpool it out to MB's in Ferntree!

Im biased considering im the Secretary. :icon_cheers:

Honestly though, before i took the dive i weighed up the options and i came to the conclusion that 35 mins each way was a fair trip to join a club that echoes the values i seek in a HB club. MB seemed to be my choice. Weigh up what your interests are and when you're capable, seek a club out. Its one of the best things to help further your brewing abilites/knowledge.

I'm in a similar position to jayahhdee. I'm just about to do my ninth AG and I'm starting to consistently hit my volumes/gravities/temps. The last batch I did (Dr Smurto's Golden Ale) has turned out really well so I think it's time to start getting some objective feedback either through entering a comp or joining a club.

I live in inner Melbourne (East St Kilda) - I can't seem to find any contact details for the Inner Circle Brewers - how do I contact them?

Cheers,

Chris

I live in inner Melbourne (East St Kilda) - I can't seem to find any contact details for the Inner Circle Brewers - how do I contact them?

I had them same issue when when trying to find any details on ICP, their website dosen't seem overly helpful.

Think I might try and swing by Melbourne Brewers for the November meet, if other people are willing to make the trip out then maybe its worth a shot.

Thanks for the input.

westgate brewers are only in footscray..bus passes the door..train only 10min walk..by car 26mins from east st kilda..and they meet on sunday's

Inner Circle are quite a new club & I'm sure would appreciate extra members (as all clubs do), they arent quite as established with websites as some of the older clubs, most clubs will happliy let you turn up for a meeting or two before paying membership (check first maybe, this is how we roll at Westgate), so maybe see which club suits your location & timeslot, all the clubs have quality brewers to learn from, so that wouldnt worry me.

Westgate meet every 3rd Sunday of the month (tomorrow) as DU pointed out, we generally run 12.30-4 but sometimes start earlier (9.30 - 10am) when Black Betty the club brew rig is in action, as it is tomorrow.
We are also kid friendly If you cant break the shackles. You're more than welcome to come along, even if you end up joining a different club.

As for competitions, just stick them in, the worst that can happen is to get good feedback. Read the style guidelines on the Vicbrew or AABC website if you want to brew to a particular style or speciality category for Vicbrew allows for more diversity. To give you some confidence, I entered Vicbrew in my first year of AG (after 1 year of unsatisfactory extract brewing) I hadnt even heard of style guidelines & didnt do many things like water treatment, I still managed to win a category, best novice & 2 pts short of best beer, so dont be daunted by comps, they are a fantastic forum for both learning about your own beer & if you come to the comp to steward or judge or just watch, they are a fantastic oportunity to taste many beer styles to see what you would like to try (or not)

Happy brewing Josh

Can anyone point me in the direction of a Inner Circle member that I could send a PM to? Would love to find out a little more about where they are based and when they meet.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a Inner Circle member that I could send a PM to? Would love to find out a little more about where they are based and when they meet.

not very sure of this but try Spartan 117, all you can do is ask

My understanding is ICB is invite only as they want go keep the club small. I'm look to maybe start a club. Search for "melbourne inner city brew club" on this forum to find thread.

Damian,

If you need any support getting started, Melbourne Brewers would be happy to help get you up and running (as would any of the other clubs I'm sure).

Just PM me if you need any help.

Andy

Latest posts

Back