Competition Recipes & Etiquette

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesbrew

Lover of Beer
Reaction score
Just a general question here.

You brew a beer exactly as per a recipe in a book or on the AHB Recipe DB (eg, Joe Blow's APA). It tastes bloody nice, so you enter it in a local comp to see how it fares.It wins an award.

Now if you get on AHB and go "Oh yeah, I won an award!" As long as you say it was Joe Blow's APA recipe, with thanks to him, you're okay right?

I mean, if you go posting your recipe on here, it's fair game, but thanks SHOULD be given right? (and a shout the next time you meet Joe Bloe at the bar).

cheers
Pete

There's more to brewing than just a recipe, but yes, acknowledgement should be given to the recipe's origin.

This Joe Blows APA sounds tasty, can you post the recipe? :p

Jokes aside though, i reckon every brewer will bring their own influence (through technique, equipement, ingredients) that will affect the outcome of the beer. So go ahead and bask in the glory of the award, but be sure to acknowledge where the recipe came from.

In these matters it is better to be upfront about where ideas/recipes come from, as if it comes out another way it can only tarnish your reputation/achievement.

"open source"

...i think there is a little more to getting a good result than simply giving sole credit to a recipe alone.

10% commission on any prize money right??

just kidding ;)
any beer you brew yourself is your beer and you deserve any prize that beer wins in a comp. but if it is a recipe you found on the net or a book, or had help with in discussions with other people i would think most people here would only be too happy to give credit where it is due. and what form that takes is up to the person that brewed the beer. maybe a pm saying thanks, or a bottle of the beer. anyway thats my 2c
joe

Pretty much what I thought.
Basically I think the recipe in question was the Cushlomachree Stout, in Charlie Papazian's book.
With a few changes to the hop schedule (from ?? to styrian Goldings), it scored 39/50 in the Hillsbrewers Comp.
Pretty damn happy, but hat's off to Charlie. I'll be doing it again.

Honestly I found this recipe on a stone tablet near a funny burning bush thingy...... :)

Hmm... so... is it "plagerism" to grab a Papazian or one of Jamil's recipies, switch Warrior for Nugget and its your brew, now?

Hmm... so... is it "plagerism" to grab a Papazian or one of Jamil's recipies, switch Warrior for Nugget and its your brew, now?

Yeah must be, and you better stay off Facebook if your going to do it, cos they can now E-serve you to take a slice of $$$$$$ you won at your local brew club comp. :p

If I find CP's address I'll send him a tallie as thanks. I do like flicking through the book. Very handy to refer to.

I've got to agree that there is more to the brewing then then recipe.
So far I haven't seen any claims of replicating an earlier effort here or any where else in the home brewing world.

If anyone wins any award with any kind of recipe , especially AG, the award goes to the brewer.
One would assume the rest of the brewing community would cherish the feat.
As etiquette goes It is still nice to give credit where credit is due.

Well done Petesbrew :)

Recipes are only like 20% of making beer, the rest depends on the brewer, the equipment, the water, the fermentation, the way the boil is conducted etc etc
Thats why all great brewers happily give away their recipes.
The recipe helps you get in the ball park with flavour profile, there's no point in sweating things like," the recipe says I need 227gms of crystal and I've only got 220gms"
If you made a beer and it wins a prize, its your beer that won not the recipe.

If you use someone's recipe and and you like it or if it works for you let them know if you can and if you make minor changes to a recipe also and it works let them know. But if you grab a number of recipes of a certain style and you mix and match to make your unique recipe then its all yours.

Back